Counter Attack Mode

13 replies to this topic

#1 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:13 AM

Is it just me or does the prospect of getting the Counter Attack game in Faction play suck away any joy in playing faction play? I absolutely hate this game mode.
As an Inner Sphere pilot i'm maintaining a ~1.00 W/L in Attack and Defense. When it comes to Counter Attack i'm .17(17-135). I find that running through the funneled maps in faction play just means by the time you get into a position to mount any kind of attack you are already half blown away. You are then expected to destroy 12 fresh mechs and take out omega ... rinse and repeat. I'm not a great pilot but i feel i am average, which is a problem if an average or slightly below average pilot has ~10% hope of victory.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:21 AM

When you are attacking in Counter-Attack mode you absolutely will need a good drop caller. Otherwise it will be a bust most of the time, if two teams' skill level are the same.

This is one reason why players should be invading, instead of defending.

#3 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

I'm not a fan of counterattack mode at all, from either side. But then I have a lot of issues with the way FW simply repeats the same tactical problem over and over.
That being said, El Bandito is right, in counter-attack the attackers must be very well coordinated.

#4 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:51 AM

The problem i see with the always attacking not defending is .. variety. We should be able to do both attack and defend without an obnoxious mode thrown in there. There are so many options that could be used to represent a hold or counter attack that could be fun vs debating whether you should Disconnect so you don't waste 30 minutes of your life or stick it out so you don't hamstring the other 11 guys.

#5 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 September 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

When you are attacking in Counter-Attack mode you absolutely will need a good drop caller. Otherwise it will be a bust most of the time, if two teams' skill level are the same.

This is one reason why players should be invading, instead of defending.

If any one has looked at tactics and or military history they know that a two to three to one numerical advantage is needed to attack static defenses. Since that is not going to happen a change in tactics and weapons (Drop-deck mechs) will need to be made. The over all CIC will need to be dynamic and well thought out. Adapt or lose. Of course this will drive sales a bit and that will make the sales office drone happy for a while.

#6 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:38 PM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 17 September 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

Is it just me or does the prospect of getting the Counter Attack game in Faction play suck away any joy in playing faction play? I absolutely hate this game mode.
As an Inner Sphere pilot i'm maintaining a ~1.00 W/L in Attack and Defense. When it comes to Counter Attack i'm .17(17-135). I find that running through the funneled maps in faction play just means by the time you get into a position to mount any kind of attack you are already half blown away. You are then expected to destroy 12 fresh mechs and take out omega ... rinse and repeat. I'm not a great pilot but i feel i am average, which is a problem if an average or slightly below average pilot has ~10% hope of victory.

If the only way you can win a match is by gen rushing (which is what your post implies whether you meant it to or not ) Then you have no business playing CW.

#7 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:28 AM

View PostVorpalAnvil, on 17 September 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

If the only way you can win a match is by gen rushing (which is what your post implies whether you meant it to or not ) Then you have no business playing CW.

The objective is to destroy the O-gens and Omega, Kills are not mentioned in the parameters of the mission. With your attitude its no wonder faction play is dead unless there is an event. I say if you judge self worth by K/D ratio you might want to play COD not MWO (which is what your post implies whether you meant it to or not)

Edited by Racerxintegra2k, 18 September 2016 - 04:30 AM.

#8 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:47 AM

View PostVorpalAnvil, on 17 September 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

Recap mode is bad because the attacker must go into a defended position and score more kills than the defender. The generator doesn't really come into play, so kills is your only real objective. Statistically the defender has a large advantage since the attacking team is obliged to charge straight into their positioned defense.

#9 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:04 AM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 18 September 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

The objective is to destroy the O-gens and Omega, Kills are not mentioned in the parameters of the mission. With your attitude its no wonder faction play is dead unless there is an event. I say if you judge self worth by K/D ratio you might want to play COD not MWO (which is what your post implies whether you meant it to or not)

Let us accept your false premise about KDR ( I sure hope I never get stuck in a trench with you in the real world ) and take a look at the Leaderboards for CW W/L, shall we:

Racerxintergra2k W/L 0.80

VorpalAnvil W/L 3.34

Hmmm, so based upon these facts who here do you think is objectively more successful from a strategic perspective?

Edited by VorpalAnvil, 18 September 2016 - 05:06 AM.

#10 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:06 AM

View PostVorpalAnvil, on 18 September 2016 - 05:04 AM, said:

Let us accept your false premise about KDR ( I sure hope I never get stuck in a trench with you in the real world ) and take a look at the Leaderboards for CW W/L, shall we:

Racerxintergra2k W/L 0.80

VorpalAnvil W/L 3.34

Hmmm, so based upon these facts who here do you think is objectively more successful from a strategic perspective?

There it is,the guy that comes into every thread to boast that he is better. Your W/L being better doesn't actually mean you accomplish tactical objectives more often. it simply means you win more(could be by killing your opponents before objectives.). Congrats you are good and you aren't shy about telling everyone about it. Fact is average players should be able to have a fighting chance instead of getting seal clubbed in a game mode. Otherwise you can brag about your success to the same players over and over as the majority trickle away from the game.

Also don't worry i'd never fight in a trench in real life i think WW I proved that to be foolish.

Edited by Racerxintegra2k, 18 September 2016 - 06:14 AM.

#11 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:37 AM

You certainly told me. Have a good one dude.

#12 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:23 AM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 17 September 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

While Counter Attack IS pretty difficult to play, it is definitely NOT unwinnable .

As with so much else concerning MW:O, many people simply do not understand and adapt to the various options the Game gives them . The recent Event has shown this clearly to me -> many people try ( or tried, I think a good few have learned much from playing the Event ) playing FW as if it was a QuickPlay Drop .

That aint working .

Different Maps, different Strats to follow . Counter Attack CAN be won . Just like Attack of Defend can be won .

People just need to know how . And do their best to play accordingly .

Edited by Besh, 18 September 2016 - 04:59 PM.

#13 Eirik Eriksson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 201 posts
  • LocationIn the deep forests of Småland

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

I´m a very average player myself playing only maybe 5 games per week nowadays. Dispite this I can still keep positive stats for the counter attack mode. The reason is probably beeing very selective when it comes to chosing planets to fight on.

First thing before starting any game you should always look through the status on the maps aviliable because it will tell you a lot about the oppositon you will meet.

My general rule is always choose attack before defense so first check the planet your faction is attacking. Is it very much blue areas it most likely means that the attack teams that is on right now is having a very hard time against good defense teams. If its a lot of red areas this is the planet you will fight on, also meaning that in any counter attack you will be defending.

If the attack planet is blue all over, go check the defence planets. Check them in order of activity. What you are looking for is a planet which have at least a decent activity level but still have the bulk of areas in blue meaning that the defence teams that are on for the moment is quite successful in their dirtywork, including counter attacks.

#14 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 18 September 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

If you're in a team of pugs and you're clearly overmatched after the first wave, fine, go straight for the objectives, but otherwise it's boring and not fun. People wait in queue and expect to shoot 48 mechs. Gen rushing from the outset is a boring waste of time, akin to cap-rushing on Assault. Attack/Recapture are certainly harder than Defend/Hold, but they're not that hard. Sometimes I read the complaints about FW and I wonder if we're playing the same game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users