10 replies to this topic

#1 jozkhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 384 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:02 AM

Hey Russ, PGI etc...

Will the overall pricing structure for mechs, MC, Bundles and other goodies be changing at all with the launch onto steam?

I know Russ mentioned in 2 (or was it 3?) Town Hall meetings about wanting loyal players to get around PGI having to pay steam their 30% by still using the existing payment methods on the website etc so that PGI got all the money for a transaction rather than giving steam their cut by using steam to make the transaction.

Is this going to be incentivized at all for players to do so? Or is it just a goodwill request kinda thing?

Steam players in general are likely going to balk at some of the costs for certain things in MWO such as the bundle prices and some of the costs of hero mechs and other things. Steam players are overall pretty good bargain hunters and many only buy during sale times.

It will be the Christmas sale almost immediately after launch date which will mean the new releases will barely be visible at all on the steam home page for the duration of the sale. Will MWO be participating in the Christmas sale? Because it really wont get much visibility during the 2 week sale period otherwise.

Will there be steam starter deals or steam specific deals?

Obviously nobody wants PGI to get the 'pay to win' reputation any more than it has already attracted but can't help but feel that new players from the steam launch likely to be a little upset / confused that a whole slew of new mechs they cannot purchase with cbills are going to be everywhere in game, killing them, within days of the launch: Origins IIC etc. That would be really off putting for any new blood.

#2 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:05 AM

That is a good point. I forgot that the Christmas sale might potentially bury MWO in them cave of expenses.

I actually look forward to the steam release (if for no other reason to transfer the game to my steam library and to keep screenshots in one place). But the pricing model is going to need a serious tweak. The average cost of one mech and maybe a couple variants is about the full price of a AAA game, which I suspect steam neophytes will be rather critical of.

Please steam sale mechs.

Edited by Sylonce, 13 November 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#3 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:25 AM

reconsideration of the pricing structure is a good idea.

I think the $20 for 3 mechs and modules and premium time and c-bills is about the right price. Start going over that and you start looking at what else that money might get you.

#4 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:22 AM

Whatever packages they put on Steam will be eligible for regional prices which means it can be cheaper for those of us in dirt poor 3rd world countries because having your currency set 1:47 against the USD isn't the most cost-effective way of using your monies.

#5 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:24 AM

The Steam community will NOT be receptive to the ridiculous pricing model MWO has.

#6 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:38 AM

Who cares about what Steam zombies want. If someone who spent a lot of money in the past sees that their virtual goods have been massively reduced in value its going to piss them off.

This game needs the battletech fans more than low interest gamers.

The content should be priced at a level that maximizes grinding without damaging retension. Without internal numbers no one here can make a good case for what the correct value is. That said I am reaching content depletion in regards to pokemech, although I have been here since day one.

#7 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:46 AM

Wait till players see how Clan mech are and then go to buy one and realize they cost twice as much without knowing they come with full upgrade and an insane omipod mechanic. They will associate that with pay2win and we will be flooded with threads.

#8 kf envy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 13 November 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

Wait till players see how Clan mech are and then go to buy one and realize they cost twice as much without knowing they come with full upgrade and an insane omipod mechanic. They will associate that with pay2win and we will be flooded with threads.

ya like the sad cat, elemental, an ice box

#9 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:18 PM

Necro time. PGI should implement regional pricing. Im in Australia and here the exchange rate is .75 AUD to 1 USD. Ive spent 800ish AUD on this game and have decided to stop. i would have saved 200 dollars if they had regional pricing. Thats just here if you play from Indonesia buying the $20 pack costs 260,000 Rupiah. Regional pricing is a good idea.

#10 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

Everyone in the MWO community just about has told PGI there prices are insane and every item and pack is 50% to high to start with.

But No one in PGI is listening to these forums or anyone in the MWO community anymore good luck OP after 4+ years PGI is (deaf-dumb-and blind to there player bases wishes.

#11 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:44 AM

View PostGreyhart, on 13 November 2015 - 08:25 AM, said:

reconsideration of the pricing structure is a good idea.

I think the $20 for 3 mechs and modules and premium time and c-bills is about the right price. Start going over that and you start looking at what else that money might get you.

You should be able to buy a 3-pack of any mech in the game (with a few extra goodies) for $20. The current model is still messed up, with some 3-packs existing for $20, some costing far more because they toss in some extra mechs that may or may not be worthless, and some only buyable for MC (which is inefficient) or only as a higher tier in packages, so you'll end up with various other mechs you don't want. They should have fixed this a while ago, IMHO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users