The Grind

18 replies to this topic

#1 Corrupt3d

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:19 AM

Returning vet just back after a long break. Think my elo had been reset as I'm absolutely owning at the moment! I'm sure that will balance out soon and I'll be back to mediocrity! Anyway, I'm really enjoying the game but a little bored of my old mechs. I wanted to get a kodiac, now I don't mind a grind in a free to play game but if I'm getting an average of 200k cbills a match it will take 80 matches to be able to just afford the mech, then I have to kit it out. Isn't that a but much? At least I have multiple mechs to play with while I grind, this must suck for new players.

#2 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:26 AM

The grind sucks for most players, new or otherwise. From the minds that thought ghost heat was a good idea, and look set to repeat their lunacy with ED, aka GHv2.0.

The game gets better when you don't expect logic from the dev team, cooperation in PuG land, and recognize that for the most part, people are stupid.

Enjoy.

#3 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

What you call "Grind", I call "playing the Game" .

Dont play it with a beancounter mindset . It becomes tedious and boring if you do, just like a hated job .

Play it for fun and excitement .

Edited by Besh, 18 September 2016 - 02:29 AM.

#4 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

MWO easier than other games.

Spend the $20 for kodiak package super cheap

#5 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:28 AM

Well no, it's like the best mech in the game atm, why should you or anyone get it with just few games played?
Use heromech and premium and the grind gets a lot easier..

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:35 AM

View PostCorrupt3d, on 18 September 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

I wanted to get a kodiac, now I don't mind a grind in a free to play game but if I'm getting an average of 200k cbills a match it will take 80 matches to be able to just afford the mech, then I have to kit it out. Isn't that a but much? At least I have multiple mechs to play with while I grind, this must suck for new players.

Now imagine that you need to buy THREE Kodiaks in order to elite them. Yeah, **** the skill tree system. Posted Image

Much easier to drop $20 and get them, if you have no issue with giving PGI money. I have issue with that, so I am doing it the hard way. 6 more million until I get my third Kodiak.

Edited by El Bandito, 18 September 2016 - 02:36 AM.

#7 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:22 AM

The Kodiak is expensive for the sake of being expensive. It's a 1) 100 ton assault mech 2) with an XL400 engine 3) stock double heatsinks 4) and a full set of clan tech 2 weaponry.

There are plenty of 'practical' mechs out there that you can pimp out and have enough dosh left over to afford the next variant before eliting them (ie: Hunchback), but the Kodiak is certainly not one of them.

Edited by CheeseThief, 18 September 2016 - 03:24 AM.

#8 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:35 AM

Hi welcome back.
Since you're planning to grind chills , there's a faction event now. Go drop 1 round in scouting to get the premium time then spend the rest of your day in faction warfare. The premium time stacked with the money FW gives builds fast. And you get stuff along the way too.

Good luck and hope to see you on the battlefield
Cheers

#9 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:42 AM

I think the grind is just about right. New mechs are within reach, but it sucks just enough to make you want to spend real money on them. What I see as expensive is their pricing for packages. The new ones don't sound as bad, but dropping $100 every time a wave comes in? Come on.

#10 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:09 AM

While I don't like the fact that you have to get 3 variants to master a mech, and I don't like the skill tree at all, I think the grind in MWO is acceptable.

If you want to pay for mech packs, there's virtually no grind in MWO at all. If you don't pay for them, you can get most mechs fairly quickly. All mechs are supposed to be equal in MWO (althought Kodiak is clearly the best mech right now, which I guess is why so many people want it), but there's still a C-bill price to make certain content less available. Think of them as long term goals while you're having fun. If playing with other mechs is a grind, then playing with the Kodiak will quickly become a grind as well.

#11 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:28 AM

The grind is actually very light. 80 matches to get the most expensive mech is nothing. A match takes about 10 minutes, so you can do about 4 per hour with downtime, which means that's just 20 hours of play time. In other free to play games, you are still playing with rookie equipment after 20 hours.

#12 Corrupt3d

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:50 AM

Fair enough, thanks for the tips. Just seemed a bit much on first look but you guys have justified it.

#13 Bregor Edain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:48 AM

Depending on how long your break was there might be cbills waiting for you in the tutorial. It is 5 milion iirc and fairly easy and not time consuming.

#14 Corrupt3d

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:57 AM

Probably been close to 12 months. Cheers for the tip, I'll check it out

#15 Felbombling

• 2,976 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:03 AM

I play other free to play games, and the grind and prices in MechWarrior: Online are reasonable by my estimation. I'll give a little insight into the world of Tanks and Ships for you, Corrupt3d, so you can see if MechWarrior: Online stacks up to other similar free to play games.

Tell a player in World of Tanks or World of Warships that they could be playing MechWarrior: Online for a weekend and be in the equivalent of a Centurion Action X or a Yamato Battleship after twenty-five battles and they would flip their collective lids. Both of those units are at the tier X end of the tech tree grind and would take hundreds of battles to reach, even with premium time active the whole time. PGI lets you hop into an Assault Mech in record time, should you wish to go that route with your cadet bonus.

I checked my stats in the Czechoslovakian Medium tech line in World of Tanks for an example. I have played 246 matches to get into a tier VII tank, and the lower tiers, I - III, I skipped with free experience. I'll probably have to play hundreds of matches more to get to the tier X tank, because the farther you go into the tech tree, the more experience and credits you need to hit the next unit, upgrade, etc.

The pilot experience grind is nothing in MechWarrior: Online. Even with three Mechs to get to the Master stage in MechWarrior: Online, what are you looking at in the skill tree... 170 games all told to get one Mech Mastered? In World of Tanks or World of Warships, it is a constant grind to upgrade skills on crew. It is on an exponential scale, too, so your second crew skill takes much longer than your first, and so on.

As I said before, prices in MechWarrior: Online seem reasonable to me, based on my experience with other free to play games. For comparison purposes, here are two sections from the store page of World of Warships and World of Tanks. The price for these single units [or bundles] generally include a garage / port slot, similar in practice to a Mech Bay in MW: O. These premium vehicles have credit earning bonuses, as well as crew / captain experience boost.

Posted Image

On the surface, MechWarrior Online prices seem very reasonable to me, considering you can get into an Assault Mech [3 of them] for just $20.00. Buying a hero Mech gets you C-Bill boost for an extra $15.00, giving you four units to play with at an average cost of $8.75. The best deals are obviously the early adopter award bundle, where you get a good chunk of in-game currency as well as some modules, camouflage patterns, etc. Even at the top end of the current bundle pricing structure, you could spend upwards of $70.00 in MechWarrior: Online content and get seven Mechs, two of which are heroes granting you increased game currency rewards. That gives you flexibility that the other games cannot hope to match.

I don't know... I enjoy all three games, but when it comes to how they treat the customer, PGI beats the other two games hands-down. You play a weekend event and PGI literally buries you in free stuff. The customer appreciation program gives you quality Mechs if you meet the criteria, whereas you'd be lucky to get a tier II tank or warship in the other games, and they're most likely so crappy you sell them off and view the reward as a free garage / port slot.

All in all, we got it pretty good here in MechWarrior: Online.

#16 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:52 AM

#17 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:24 AM

View PostCorrupt3d, on 18 September 2016 - 06:57 AM, said:

Probably been close to 12 months. Cheers for the tip, I'll check it out

It is noticed and appreciated that you are actually coming for and are open to the advice. You even gave a thank you (cheers?).

It is easy to be so critical of everything from behind the monitor when a small element of sincerity and kindness can actually improve the game's atmosphere for all.

I even have a bit more respect because the OP was still voicing a critical observation at first. Have you ever thought about running for president of the USA. We could use some more options ATM.

#18 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:42 AM

Standard Kodiak package is still a good deal if you are not adverse to spending real money.

#19 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 18 September 2016 - 10:42 AM, said:

Standard Kodiak package is still a good deal if you are not adverse to spending real money.

Plus the 30 days premium thats included (and the mech bays to hold the mechs). Every day you play an hour or two on premium adds up to around a million extra Cbills.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users