Nva-Bk Builds

11 replies to this topic

#1 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:11 PM

So I just can't quite do the default pod load out for Breaker. With 8/8 I had some OK matches but he was just under performing compared to my Prime and S variants. His set quirks just weren't good enough to stay with all 8 pods. Even with his default 5xERML and a couple of SRMs it was better to swap in one Prime side torso for the heat reduction.

I ran a few troll builds just to play around, the 15xSPL version worked quite well. A 1xUAC20 and 5xMG build worked pretty well too.

What I've finally settled on is running him halfway between my S and Prime variants. I used the S arms with Prime side torsos, 6xMPL TC1 and 3 extra DHS. Still runs a little hot even with the 15% heat reduction, but it wouldn't be a Nova if it didn't.

What did you guys settle on?

#2 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 562 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:23 PM

Had been looking forward to this, so..this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...90b70385c3ba524

Edited by latinisator, 16 November 2016 - 06:23 PM.

#3 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:06 PM

I found the default weapons a little awkward, not overly keen on Streak SRMs either but I'll try to leave the default pods in place until I've got all the basic skills. At present I changed the Streaks to normal SRMs and changed the medium lasers to small pulse but don't feel this build is working as well as a mixed pod Nova I have that currently uses the NVA-C left torso and NVA-D right arm as a dual SRM build.

@Latinisator
That's an interesting build. Personally I might drop the 6's to 4's to add in some more ammo but will certainly be giving the quad missile build a go.

On a side note: I was a little surprised that the NVA-BK left arm has both missile points on the arm collar, was kind of expecting one of the hard points to be on the shoulder or something. That way the missile arrangement for an LRM 20 would have matched the NVA-D right arm which is split into nice 4 x 5 tube sections. If you look at the NVA-BK left arm with double LRM 20's on it, the tubes are very tightly packed. Bit of a shame the second hard point wasn't in the right torso.... that would have been nice as it would have also meant the NVA-D arm had equal value.

#4 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:21 PM

The quad missile is something I haven't tried yet, but it looks promising. The missile quirks seem to stack nicely from the piecemeal pods.

#5 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:11 PM

I tried your missile load out, works fairly well, the -12% spread from quirks helps negate the lack of Artemis a little. Had to swap out the LPL for an ERPPC after a couple of matches, gives more range and makes a nice splattart build. Still gonna use my 6xMPL set up as primary, but it was a fun build.

#6 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:19 PM

View Post50 50, on 16 November 2016 - 07:06 PM, said:

I found the default weapons a little awkward, not overly keen on Streak SRMs either but I'll try to leave the default pods in place until I've got all the basic skills.

I found the ERML optimum range matched up fairly well with the longer range on the SSRMs, with an SSRM range module you'd have a nice 400m range brawler. I had 5xERML and 2xSSRM4 on it for awhile, it did ok, just not groundbreaking. I think it would have been a more useful to me when I was tier 4/5 where mixed armament is more common and where the SSRMs bypass novice aiming skills (not to mention what they do to lights).

#7 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:40 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5df1fb34707fed9

#8 Ruebenz

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:43 AM

I used the same build as latinisator for a while but i found trading and trying to poptart with a LPL didn't do much for my brawling play style. It also generated to much heat. I modified it to the build below picking up Arte and just enough MG-Ammo to crit open CT's. The tighter pattern + low heat generating alpha is alot of fun for poking brawling and cutting off limbs.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...de3e2e7d7562d2b

-Cheers

Edited by Ruebenz, 21 November 2016 - 04:44 AM.

#9 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:26 AM

Been testing a new one:

8xERML, TC1, 21 DHS

I didn't intuitively think it would be better than my 6xMPL, but it was working really well so I mathed it out and 8xERML is better on paper:

2.4% better heat efficiency
7.2% higher dps
22.9% more range

Heat efficiency was calculated in damage dealt vs the total heatsink dissapation rate.

DPS includes a mastered and moduled mech.

It does more per volley so even it's burst damage is a little higher. The main disadvantage is potential ghost heat, but I found even if you really have to alpha it can handle it. Of course it does shut down a lot like any good Nova build, but I was surprised at it being more heat efficient than my MPL build (albeit only by 2.4%).

The disappointing part is that this new build would be better on the Prime as it uses Prime arms and torsos. The Prime would get an additional -5% heat and the -10% damage from overheating over Breaker, the only advantage Breaker has is he makes more money.

Edited by Bandilly, 23 November 2016 - 05:35 AM.

#10 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:09 PM

I've got one of my Primes setup with the 8 ER Mediums. The new set of 8 bonus for the Prime is a nice little touch that makes it more playable.
Tried the 6 Medium Pulse build again using the set of 8 for the NVA-S but it's still too hot and I feel you just don't get enough out of the medium pulses for that additional heat.

I went through a few different builds on the Breaker and have settled on a quad SRM build. I like to try and have different setups on all the mech variants in a chassis and didn't want to go down the lots o' lasers path with this one. I've found it quite effective. The mech feels quite responsive and the SRMs turn it into a great little ambusher.

Personally I've opted for a single medium pulse and then the 4 SRM 6s with Artemis. Tried the 4s but for the limited range it didn't have enough punch. The single laser gives a little bit of range and something to fall back on so it's not completely ammo reliant. Fairly efficient with the heat as well though you still need to keep an eye on it.

Overall, I'm having a lot of fun with the mech and it's a nice addition to my stable of Novas!

Edited by 50 50, 24 November 2016 - 07:12 PM.

#11 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:01 PM

Breaker is not a breaker at all. Overall performance with 8/8 quirks is 3/10. This mech does not play into the niche that is the nova. Honestly the breaker is the 10 small pulse nova.. this thing is a upgraded garbage can with the 8/8 set. If it had 5 medium lasers and a gauss rifle it might be a breaker or heck even the dual er ppc nova is better.

I vote for a complete mech rebuild on the nova breaker. The only build I came up with for this is the 3 flamers, 2 machine guns, 2 large lasers and 2 srm 6 which honestly is the most wonky build that I could get to work.

This thing offers nothing that the other variants do not have except 2 laser hard point torso and 2 srm missle pods on the arm. Which honestly with all my other nova builds I will never use.

Also note srm spread is the same with artemis as without do don't even bother using artemis on it. Compare the small spread from inner sphere srms on the Atlas and trying srm build on this made me laugh.

I apologize for being so blunt with my opinions on it.. What's the point in playing a mech if there is other variants do it better and more efficient. This mech was not made by a nova pilot and it is obvious. Sorry pgi design and implantation team.. maybe you got rushed or hardlined on what you really wanted to implement here. This is just unacceptable.

Edited by Natred, 26 November 2016 - 08:08 PM.

#12 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:39 AM

Already mentioned in my first post what I ran it as for the first day or so and why it was better to lose the 8/8 than to keep it.

Using it like a subpar Prime or S put me at #7 on the leader boards with relatively few overall matches (and none that really exploded into massive kills/points).

The 8/8 set on Breaker is mostly energy hardpoints but it has only one really pathetic energy quirk. It has a decent MG quirk, but only two ballistic slots, making taking MGs an iffy proposition. It has solid missile quirks, but only 2 missile slots, making it hard to get much from those quirks.

Overall the only real interesting aspect to Breaker is the two missile slot arm, but it's not very good in stock 8/8. Combined with the other missile omnipods you get some nice missile quirks and can play a different style Nova...not necessary an awesome build as the Nova is a bit heavy on locked heatsinks and low on podspace tonnage to make a missile boat, but at least it's different.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users