Qualities Of The Best Mech Pilots?

31 replies to this topic

#21 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:07 PM

According to Japan the best mech pilots are going to be teenagers that complain about grownups, randomly get placed in a mech, and take 3/4ths of the series to become tolerable.

#22 veedubfreak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:50 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 29 September 2016 - 10:02 PM, said:

what I did was go beyond the knee jerk reaction and look at his actual piloting skills

the guy was obviously good he handled his heat placed his shots

in the church of skill video try jumping up high in an EXE and snipe and see how long you last

I really wanted other peoples thought and opinions on the best Mech pilots
I now regret the first story since it takes away from the original question

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 02 October 2016 - 12:41 AM.
discussing cheats

#23 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:59 AM

The best pilots are:

Patient
Not sellfish
Know where the fights develop(positioning/map knowledge)
And Patient

#24 Jehofi

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:37 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 29 September 2016 - 10:02 PM, said:

what I did was go beyond the knee jerk reaction and look at his actual piloting skills

the guy was obviously good he handled his heat placed his shots
In a teamgame there is more to be had than just being a good shot. Sorry but if you refuse to or cant understand that then you should not discuss what qualifies for a good / the best mech pilot.

#25 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:23 AM

Best players of any videogame are the ones that can directly cause a victory consistently. It doesn't matter what strategy or tactics they use, what matters is that they base their decisions on maximizing their chance of winning over the life of the game- that means learning from tactical and strategic mistakes, having excellent technical skill, and understanding good vs. bad equipment without being a metaslave.

Winning one single 1v6 doesn't mean anything. Maybe were skilled or maybe they were just lucky. You don't know unless you can track their performance over a large sample size. I would contend that a player that leaves the outcome to the hands of fate by camping spawn and letting the teams sort one another out before going to finish off the remains isn't a good player even if they're a skilled player.

Edited by vnlk65n, 30 September 2016 - 02:24 AM.

#26 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:46 AM

Well, I'd say don't derp around. And I really would like to add those players are good sports but...

Saw a 3 men yesterday of one of the best teams who thought it would be wise to go their own way instead of with the team. After they got smoked all you got were some insults how lame the rest of the team (who was still alive and in cover) is and they disco'd.

So even with all the skills you might have as top tier pro gamer, it won't help if you hit derp.

#27 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:54 AM

View Postveedubfreak, on 29 September 2016 - 10:50 PM, said:

[Redacted]

Just because you feel it is impossible to hit people without using aimbots, does not mean it is actually impossible. There are lots of good shots that don't cheat Posted Image

Edited by draiocht, 02 October 2016 - 12:42 AM.
Quote Clean-Up

#28 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:06 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 30 September 2016 - 02:54 AM, said:

Just because you feel it is impossible to hit people without using aimbots, does not mean it is actually impossible. There are lots of good shots that don't cheat Posted Image

Especially since aiming in MWO is a lot easier than in other fps, because targets are actually large and slow moving,

#29 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:27 AM

The best "pilots" are those dumb or misguided enough to keep throwing money at the game to allow the rest of us to keep playing.

#30 Myantra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 210 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:22 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 30 September 2016 - 02:54 AM, said:

Odd thing is, this is one of the easier FPS games for aim when you get your mouse sensitivity in the right place.

#31 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:57 AM

View PostPiney, on 29 September 2016 - 05:26 PM, said:

Good pilots:

- Intimately familiar with all of the maps
- Intimately familiar with their mech's capabilities and limitations
- Superior situational awareness - always know what's happening around them
- Able to read the flow of battle on the fly...know where to be and when to be there
- Know when to push a fight, and when to withdraw and reposition
- Accept losses as "sh*t happens" and press on

Pretty much this. Just like anything, there is a certain amount of raw talent and instinct that is required and this can't be trained. If you don't have it, all the playing and practicing in the world isn't going to change that. Talent and instinct will only get you so far though so you have to practice too.

#32 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:17 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 29 September 2016 - 10:07 PM, said:

According to Japan the best mech pilots are going to be teenagers that complain about grownups, randomly get placed in a mech, and take 3/4ths of the series to become tolerable.

Hey! Asuka wasn't that bad from the start--I found her very likeable, actually. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users