There Needs To Be A Masters Tier

74 replies to this topic

#1 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:07 PM

... and put those Lord, EMP, and other freaks into that tier so that they are not massacring mortals with their imbalances.

That's all. The End.

---------

Edit: So some more explanation.

Current tier system is an experience, which is fine, because the theory is, the more you play, the better you are.

However, there needs to be a top tier league of only 100 to 200 people where they are A LOT more fluid in going up and down. So that those top 100 to 200 freaks can slaughter one another and receive the challenge that they deserve (and honestly, create more of an "end game" by giving them a try-hard environment that they can measure their epeen)

Cause it's not fun to drop and see Lord/EMP/others on the other side and waste 5 min to end the game 12-1

Edited by razenWing, 03 October 2016 - 07:11 PM.

#2 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:13 PM

Only if it's based on skill and not XP, otherwise everyone eventually will be there or at least has the potential.

#3 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

there is, It's called private matches.. They just choose not to use them, which is unfortunate.. :(

#4 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:24 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 03 October 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

only 100 to 200 people where they are A LOT more fluid in going up and down.

I honestly don't know the perfect answer. In starcraft, it's based on the amount of wins, which nets you points. So I guess the equivalent would be kmdd. So yes, there's always the problem that if a proton level player only plays like 2 games for the month. But I like to counter that...

1: if you are a mortal and need to put in 80 times the work to reach the same kmdd as a proton, then you are most likely not going to be in the top 200, because EVERYONE have the same amount of time

2: with the epeen leaderboard, if you are a top 200 player, you are going to be match with other top 200 players primarily. hopefully, the skill level in the top 200 are at least somewhat equal, that the kmdd rate will peter out. so no, a proton will not get the chance to farm mortals for his kmdd. if he's going to farm, he's going to beat up 200 other gods to his ultimate ascension.

View PostJC Daxion, on 03 October 2016 - 07:21 PM, said:

there is, It's called private matches.. They just choose not to use them, which is unfortunate.. Posted Image

No, they shouldn't be punished with 0 cbill just because they are good, but they definitley should earn their cbill like everyone else against peers of their equal, not farm potatoes.

Edited by razenWing, 03 October 2016 - 07:25 PM.

#5 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:25 PM

I can't believe they still play this - climbing mt tryhard for so long seems tiring.

#6 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:41 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 03 October 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

Cause it's not fun to drop and see Lord/EMP/others on the other side and waste 5 min to end the game 12-1

MM decided to put 2 228, one EmP and one Lord on the opposing team

Well at least it was over in 2 minutes or so

I still wonder how MM works sometimes
You'd think it would be a wise decision to split those 4 to both sides

View PostJC Daxion, on 03 October 2016 - 07:21 PM, said:

there is, It's called private matches.. They just choose not to use them, which is unfortunate.. :(

Why would anyone use money (PT) to play the same people only (needs to be invited/friends with) with no MM at all
For zero C-BILLS?
At this point I'm not sure that farming C-Bills in private matches would actually he a problem

It's more a problem finding someone to actually play private matches with

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:56 PM

I am no Lord or EmP level guy, but I'd love to join them in the "master tier" matches. Bound to improve much better than languishing in the watered down T1 matches.

Long wait time is a bummer, though.

#8 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:03 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 October 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

I am no Lord or EmP level guy, but I'd love to join them in the "master tier" matches. Bound to improve much better than languishing in the watered down T1 matches.

Long wait time is a bummer, though.

No, I don't think they are the only good players. I know there are at least 200 players at their level. (Hence, 200)

And don't worry about que time. I fought them for like 2 hours straight, lost all the games, decided to unsync.

#9 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:27 PM

Dear OP, alot of higher skilled players would love for players such as yourself to be segregated as well. The feeling is mutual.

Edited by VorpalAnvil, 04 October 2016 - 07:22 PM.

#10 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:42 PM

Hahaha.
Get a grip.
50, maybe. On a good day. With cream and sugar.
Never more than 20-30 at the same time and that is an exaggeration.

#11 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:15 PM

T1 has a lot of scrub players. Just going to put that out there.

#12 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:27 PM

I have played plenty of competitive sports that usually include city league and high school. I have also been a showing/selling artist. In these worlds including the feel good arts playing for fun usually gets you dropped from the group activity roster (of which I have been one).

I may be a little bit rude on purpose, but making fun of somebody for excelling is comparing ones ability to pleasure themselves exclusively to somebody else ability to do a task at a superb level. Most of the time it is less talent compared to discipline to do research and play well with your team mates even if it means less damage and fewer mechs/builds to choose from.

Trust me, matchmaker is the issue. Many higher level players are usually saddled with the worst players because of average. The issue is many T3 can not be carried by other t1. If you go to a foot race there is usually a sign in the group that separates below 5 min miles, 5-6, 7-8, and for fun. After the race, you know who you competed against and if you did your best. Nobody is blamed for being in any category. The racers and the organizers are both held responsible for creating this atmosphere, because with out it the sport dies.

#13 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:19 PM

Hardly fair to blame people for being good at the game, and while EVERYONE wants to be matched with just people at their skill level, that's unrealistic.

Believe me, nobody wants to farm potatoes all day, nor do they want to have to carry harder because of potatoes on their team. It goes both ways.

But there's no alternative aside from punishing players for being successful and not letting them play at all, which is ridiculous.

#14 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 October 2016 - 11:55 PM

Maybe OP was a bit rude

But everyone not seemingly liking what he said still wants the same thing as OP

"PGI make it so players are better matched against each other"

Hell I play for fun and I steadily climb in rating
Frankly I wonder how it would be hard not to the way it is set up
And I don't really want to climb
Not interested in playing competitive and also don't have the time to commit these days anyway

So yeah
We need another wipe and a different formula for rating player skill

But then
That's like the millionth time that already came up

#15 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 03:15 AM

View Postkesmai, on 03 October 2016 - 09:42 PM, said:

Hahaha.
Get a grip.

Lol, you understand the concept of another tier is so that the top 200 players of THE WORLD can compete? Not that there are 200 top tier players on at the same time?

Come on people, I don't mind criticism. But don't make yourself look like an donkey by stating nonsense.

View PostWintersdark, on 03 October 2016 - 11:19 PM, said:

Hardly fair to blame people for being good at the game, and while EVERYONE wants to be matched with just people at their skill level, that's unrealistic.

Believe me, nobody wants to farm potatoes all day, nor do they want to have to carry harder because of potatoes on their team. It goes both ways.

But there's no alternative aside from punishing players for being successful and not letting them play at all, which is ridiculous.

Is that what I said?

To quote myself:

View PostrazenWing, on 03 October 2016 - 07:24 PM, said:

No, they shouldn't be punished with 0 cbill just because they are good, but they definitley should earn their cbill like everyone else against peers of their equal, not farm potatoes.

The reason why you have a Masters tier when top players compete against one another primarily and matched with one another primarily is precisely so that they can go full try-hard mode with one another. They get the competition they want, and don't have to carry potatoes as so many of you pointed out, so... what's the problem then?

The problem with tier 1 is not that it's watered down. It's that while tier 1 player is definitively better than a tier 5 players, there's still a HUGE gap in skills between the god tier players vs other tier 1 players. It's not saying those people don't belong to be in tier 1, cause they are clearly better than tier 2, 3, 4, and 5. But they just don't match up well with the god tier player.

And you can id those god tier player quite easily. Go to the World Championship page. Check out the top 10-20 teams and cite all the players in them. Trust me, it's not fun to drop against any of them. (Just as most of you also believe that it's not fun for them to drop with/against me)

So let's solve this issue. Let's make a fluid competitive tier (Masters tier) where god mode players can go full god mode with one another, where their competition against one another will be the reason that they stay in the god tier. Let their skill do the talking, in another word. (So simultaneously, solved the problem f the "watered down" tier 1) Regardless of whether some of you guys think I am being condescending against top players or not, this is the fact:

You need a dedicated competitive tier, period.

Edited by razenWing, 04 October 2016 - 03:18 AM.

#16 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:03 AM

View Postkesmai, on 03 October 2016 - 09:42 PM, said:

Hahaha.
Get a grip.

So true. I honestly think 1-2 actually good players per team on the best of days. I'd say I was well above average, scrub level compared to most of the try hards, and even I got sick of bringing a carry mech if I wanted my team to win. The population doesn't have enough for our current 5 tiers, I honestly don't know why PGI hasn't dropped the number to 3 tiers.

#17 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:06 AM

playerbase is too small

#18 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:09 AM

View PostDino Might, on 03 October 2016 - 07:25 PM, said:

I can't believe they still play this - climbing mt tryhard for so long seems tiring.

Climbing the Mt. Tryhard in the QP is like a walk in the park for them.

Yes, really.

#19 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:20 AM

Given how bad I am, and yet how frequently I am matched against "god tier" players (often) I must say the idea of segregating them into their own little world of play appeals to me.

Then I remember the frequency part, and realize even if it is only the presumed 200 players referenced by the OP, if I am seeing a couple of these folks (often the same folks) every match then removing them from the queue means we all have less population to play with and wait times are even worse.

So no. Even if us plebs and our church of skill overlords wanted to segregate each from the other, the result would suck even worse than the status quo. Besides, those "god tier" folks worked hard to getting gud. If they get off on stomping the likes of me, why shouldn't they? That is the nature of games: better players win more often. I may mock them when they speak on these forums regarding the view "that there is no other reason to play MWO than to win" but I will never mock them for being good players.

#20 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:28 AM

How about reducing the tiers to 3.No mixing of tiers ie t1 plays only t1,t3 plays only t3 and so on.I think 5 is way too many for this games population hence the mucked up state of most matches.Too many uneven teams and matches.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users