What Pakage To Get To Redeem The 2016 Car

11 replies to this topic

#1 MetalMatrix

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 05:59 PM

Okay I purchased the Resistance II pack, Now I want to get the Clan side MechWarrior Online.

I ask while playing and everyone said none of the clan packs are worth it. Some suggested Kodiak which I like so which other package should I get to get the full rewards.

Or if you think the Clan Packs are worth it which one?

Thanks
MetalMatrix

BTW I do have the Founders Pack as supported the game during beta but have to played until now as I was doing WOT.

#2 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

Well, Night Gyr is pretty popular right now, but If you snag the kodiak... probably don't need its little green brother.

Depends on what you like? I'm guessing lack of pre order is not a big deal. Personally, I upgraded my Huntsman order and already had Mad IIc down. I think purchasing X number of the released heroes works (check the faq to be sure). There's also the linebacker coming out the month after loyalty (huntsman is at the same time). Personally not fond of the executioner, otherwise I'd recommend Wave 3.

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:15 AM

I recommend the Wave 3 package or Origins IIC Highlander package. The first deal has better mechs, while the second is the better value.

I would avoid the standalone $40 packs because you need two and they are the crappy collector editons that needlessly give you a duplicate mech.

I honestly would not go for the top-tier Clan reward unless these Summoners have amazing paintjobs. Arguably the new hero Summoner that is not part of these rewards will give you better builds anyway for less money.

The standard Kodiak package which is still an amazing deal, will qualify you for the very good Hellbringer-F which I deem a better mech than the Summoner.

#4 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:33 AM

If he's already set on getting the kodiak, then it's less cost to buy a standalone than a full 4 tier package... that said, you do get more mechs out of a package deal.

But that still doesn't change the actual dollar amount you are paying.

the Origins IIc is a good set too. Jenner IIc is decent (arguably the best var is not included, since it was pre order only), the Hunchback IIc is very good (and you get great variants too), the Orion IIc is... kinda meh. Serviceable. Highlander IIc is fun, and works well as a support-assault. These are not omnimechs.

In wave 3, you get the arctic cheetah which is a great clan light (would say better than J IIc), the Shadow Cat which is a great medium (not as hard hitting or durable as the hunchback, but much faster and more flexible in roles), the Ebon Jaguar which is an amazing heavy mech (can't jump, but lots of tonnage and space for weapons, good hard point locations, works with a variety of play styles), and the Executioner... Speedy and agile for a 95 ton assault, and can boat like no tomorrow... but also kinda large (not as bad as the highlander, but also less firepower and armor I think).

So imho, the first three of wave 3 beat the first 3 of origins... but that last tier is a reversal. Overall, I feel origins IIc's only 'highlight' is the hunchback, while the wave 3 has the shadow cat, ebj, and ach.

Trial mech trial mech trial mech.

#5 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:01 AM

Kodiak3 is hands down the best mech in the game, period.
The Spirit Bear is also pretty good, at the least very fun.
The rest of the Kodiaks range from not bad to meh.

Is the whole super collector pack worth it? IMO, no. A good chunk of your cash is going to the S variant of the KDK1, which is one of the weaker variants of the Kodiak family.
Especially not worth it if you are doing it just to get the top tier clan reward(s), which are also pretty meh (sorry Summoner fan bois).

Night Gyr is pretty good, but be warned, it plays more like an Assault mech. Also, despite being an omnimech, it has a relatively short list of viable roles because of space issues (lots of free tonnage, not enough free slots!)

Huntsman looks pretty promising, not a big game changer but a lot of good possibilities. I did not pre-order them, and I am starting to feel like I might kinda regret it.

Linebacker looks like it might be kinda fun, but it has very low free tonnage for its weight class, so probably wont be that great in the end.

#6 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:11 AM

well seeing you already have the resistance II, a big part of going top tier packs is the extras you get.. 2 months premium, 12 mechs+12 bays, 4 camo, Wave III has only 12 paints, But a few are different than the IS package, some are kinda similar, so you would get i'd say 4-5 that are kinda unique. But stack that on top of your resistance package, if you are going to be doing a lot of gaming, You will have lots of banked premium time to level and tons of mechs to work with. (remember, to activate your banked premium under the website, under your profile/account, that way you can do it 30 days at a time too incase you take a break, and not play for a bit.. why waste it?)

That said, I did just pick up Wave III myself and i love it, though honestly even though the ARC is suppose to be a great mech, for me, i just don't seam to find a groove with it at all. Maybe i am just an IS guy when it comes to lights, but i feel my commando death kneel, and ravens are just better mechs for me. It also could be it is new to me, and not even unlocked basics yet.. but still, i just feel under whelmed by all the hype about it. Again it could be just my lack of familiarity, or finding a build i really like. The buggers run really hot too.

BUT, the shadow cat is loads of fun, and i can see the potential in the Ebon, though i have barely scratched the surface on it. It packs good fire power, but is not as mobile as the timber, which i absolutely love. The Executioner, is a great assault IMO.. but it is not a true assault, it plays much more like a heavy, that can move like a timber in short bursts. It has JJ's as well. It can boat energy like crazy but runs hot, or can be a longer ranged mech using less weapons. It also has a nice dual missile arm that you can pack in some streaks if lights give you troubles. It is just a very unique mech over all. But it doesn't dish out damage like other assaults.

But seeing no one else has mentioned it.. You can pre-order the 6 of the new clan heroes and that will count to your top tier, It doesn't say anything about mix and match with the other ones,, Like if you buy a collector kodiak, do you need less clan heroes? I'd contact support to ask, but the list doesn't make any mention of it https://mwomercs.com/profile/content

here is the list https://mwomercs.com/clan-heroes The heroes have some really interesting OMNI pods, that you can only use if you have said heroes, and won't beable to buy more of them. And the paints are just awesome, and they all have the +30% C-bill bonus which is nice, but this is what you get that is unique.

Kit fox, adds 2 energy to Right and left torso. consensus seams to be, this one is the big winner of all the heroes just by hard points alone. High mounted torso weapons for hill peaking, or boating energy with lots of heat sinks, It all says that the kit fox will climb some rungs on the good ladder.

adder adds ballistic to Right and left torso, But it already has 1 in each arm, so not sure how that would chance the builds that much.. you are basically swapping the energy and ballistics points inside and out, the paint looks great though! Adder is an under rated mech, but i just don't see it adding much outside of being able to tank better,, but perhaps that is enough :)

Nova adds a dual missile left arm, so that would open up 5 missile points total, It also has a 2 energy LT if you want to move some larger weapons into torso, for better tanking due to less main weapons in arms.

the Storm crow adds another AMS, so you can run dual AMS, and a ballistic+ energy arm, so you can now run dual ballistic builds. Dual UAC5's anyone?

Summoner adds a dual ballistic arm, and an energy LT, not sure what the other loyalty ones are adding but might help this chassis.

timber adds a ballistic left arm, and has R&L torso with 1 energy+ 1 missile, But no JJ's, so a bit of weight savings over the S torso, for a bit more room and weight at the loss of the mobility, Could help some builds. But its a timber, so.. yea top mech no mater what you do with it.

War hawk, adds a dual ballistic Right arm, and tripple energy left, so that opens up 6 energy in arms, or triple ballistics. I can see great potential in this one

Dire adds 2 Dual ballistics arms, which opens up 8 ballistics slots for maximum dakka!

Now,, all this sounds good, but you would need to buy a lot of mechs over time to unlock your elites,, and that would take a good amount of time, But the good thing is, with all your other mechs you could always just spend a lot of time playing, and earning mechs and adding them as you go.. (don't forget January also has a 35% off sale on all mechs for c-bills, like the 35% off the 8 wave one mechs now.. so if you have money banked, you could pick some of them up)

One last thing, i have not played it,, But for a 40 ton mech, the i have heard a lot of people say good things about the viper. It seams pretty cool if you like to boat energy on a fast mech. :)

I personally don't like the Kodiak, or Origins, because i like my clans OMNI style.. But that is not to say, they are not good mechs, Just not good for me. the night gyr i also wouldn't see myself in, as i am not a huge fan of the "glass cannon" I prefer the more mobile, less weapons, more armor types of mechs. Basically the Night Gyr is the exact opposite of the Executioner. Lighter mech, more weapons, less armor, can wreck stuff, or get wrecked.. EXE is mobile, lots of armor, but slower in dealing damage, outside of some killer short ranged builds.

But i said enough and gave you enough to think about.. I dunno what i would do...

Though if money isn't an issue. 240 bucks,, Ouch! But if you can swing it, It really is hard to go wrong with the Maskari package.. that is the Wave I, clan mechs,, (all listed above as heroes.. all but the summoner and perhaps the kit-fox is consider a darn good mech, but with the hero kit-fox will take a big leap. Others like stormcrow, nova and timber are a few of the best mechs in the game... Even the dire, while slow in the right hands can be deadly, even with the kodiak taking the new top dakka 100 ton slot) then down the road, add Clan heroes to the ones you like best.. :), War Hawk, and adder are both very good mechs, and under rated by many..

things to think about.. maybe others will add more about these options.. Good luck!

#7 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:30 AM

If spending real money on MWO, $20 for the basic Kodiak pack is mandatory. There's currently no better value in the game.

#8 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 04 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

Origins. I upgraded fully for the Reward Summoners. Yes im a Summoner fanboy.

But...

If you look at those torso pods for the Summoner and the prime RA ERPPC quirks you will have the BEST setup for sniping and/or Jumpsniping which is making a comeback.

And one of those torso pods is 1E 1M which means TAG for Streakboats. A Heavy very mobile Streakboat that can jump. Farming Cbills in Puglandia just got easier on top of that Cbill bonus.

So for the Origins pack you get

Jenner 2C... Second best only to the AC? And thats because of its size+hitboxes.

Hunchback 2C...very strong. Jumps. 3UAC5 is the craze now. 3LPL as well.

Orion 2C... Decent firepower but hardpoint locations and types kinda demand Brawler builds. Good in Puglandia, likely less so in Group or CW.

Highlander 2C... the C is good with 2LPL+1ERML+2UAC10. The rest... less so. Level 2, sell one, buy the C. Needs max engine to be tolerable XL325. Sell the other engines.

#9 MetalMatrix

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:51 PM

Thanks JC Daxion,

I am going to get the Clan Hero's but I saving that for next years rewards since it will be available after the 18th.

To the rest you thanks for your feed back and really appreciate it.

#10 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:59 AM

In case you didn't already decide, I'll throw my vote towards either Wave III - everything but the EXE are fantastic - or the Kodiak and either the Viper or Huntsman.

If Wave III looks more your thing, great! I love my 3 cat 'mechs.

If, however, you want the individual packs... For the rewards, you're getting 3 Heavy 'mechs so I'd say you're covered for a short while and skip the Night Gyr and Linebacker. That leaves the Assaults - Kodiak, Marauder IIC - and Mediums - Viper, Huntsman. As mentioned, the Kodiak is *very* good, I'd even say it's the best Clan Assault we have so far and even the Marauder IIC doesn't look like it will dethrone it. So, for the sake of variety, I'd say it comes down Viper or Huntsman for the Medium. While the Huntsman isn't released yet, the info we do have regarding free tonnage, number of hardpoints and hardpoint placement, it looks like a very solid 'mech. The Viper seems to be well received, but nothing to shout about.

TL;DR
Wave III or Kodiak and Huntsman Collector's Packs.

#11 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:04 PM

View PostMetalMatrix, on 04 October 2016 - 09:51 PM, said:

Thanks JC Daxion,

I am going to get the Clan Hero's but I saving that for next years rewards since it will be available after the 18th.

To the rest you thanks for your feed back and really appreciate it.

I dunno if it will help you for next year.. As IS side, no heroes count towards anything. I think this is only because it is new, and a pre-order thing, so i wouldn't count on it..

but nothing wrong with waiting and getting them next year.. I know i will be waiting till after January myself on um, but that is cause of low money issues :)

#12 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:06 PM

The actual HBK-IIC meta is the IIC-A with 2ERPPC, a T.Comp V/IV and 17/18 heatsinks with 4JJ. Basically a nova poptart with better mounts, but worse durability and no quirks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users