8 replies to this topic

#1 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:29 AM

I normally don't run LRMs, so this may be a new or old issue, but ZERO damage? I fired a number of 3x cLRM15's (45 missiles per shot) and almost always got the red color change in the reticule indicating a hit. But at the end of the game it said I had ZERO damage.

Anyone else experience this?

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

View PostChaosity, on 05 October 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

I normally don't run LRMs, so this may be a new or old issue, but ZERO damage? I fired a number of 3x cLRM15's (45 missiles per shot) and almost always got the red color change in the reticule indicating a hit. But at the end of the game it said I had ZERO damage.

Anyone else experience this?

At what range ?
Point blank you won't score dmg.
Also at what did you fire the LRMs...enemy mechs ? --> dmg counted if in range or above 0m
FW turret targets ? -> no dmg counted
QP base targets ? --> no dmg counted

Also...are you sure it where C-LRMs ? If not there will be no dmg below 180m.

Edited by The Basilisk, 05 October 2016 - 07:36 AM.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:39 AM

(chuckles) Was in a match last night with a Clanner. It looked like it was his first time in a IS Hunchie w/LRMS + med lasers, or at least the first time he was the LAST man standing in that setup :). He was the last one left, eventually was legged vs a legged locust w/Mguns and SPL. He was firing his LRMS @ 150m or less. He could not out run the Locust once he lost a leg. Locust eventually got him.

At the end of the match he asked isn't min LRM range 90m? Nope, that is is PPC, isLRMs min is 180m. Poor guy.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 05 October 2016 - 08:41 AM.

#4 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:18 AM

It's not very clearly stated anywhere and the loading screen tips are both out of date and misleading (as most of them are), but

Clan LRMs were nerfed a long while back so they have a similar problem as IS lrms, thus almost completely eliminating their advantages.

Closer than ~180m, clan LRM are basically wasted heat to fire, as the damage they will do is greatly reduced both by their firing angle and tracking (even if it looks like they hit, they can still miss fast mechs on serverside), and a heavy fall off.

This is why you take backup weapons and don't separate and be alone in a lrm boat.

#5 Chaosity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:41 AM

Range was not an issue. Like I said, cLRM15's. Also firing 3 at a time, not chain firing, so 45 missiles at a time. I doubt AMS, even from multiple mechs, would cancel all 45. Most targets were 400-800m. And again, the red reticule indicates a hit. Had numerous "hits", or so the reticule indicated. But as mentioned, ZERO damage. Just seems a little weird.

Edited by Chaosity, 05 October 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#6 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:01 PM

View PostChaosity, on 05 October 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

Range was not an issue. Like I said, cLRM15's. Also firing 3 at a time, not chain firing, so 45 missiles at a time. I doubt AMS, even from multiple mechs, would cancel all 45. Most targets were 400-800m. And again, the red reticule indicates a hit. Had numerous "hits", or so the reticule indicated. But as mentioned, ZERO damage. Just seems a little weird.

Hmm, no.....I used Clan and IS LRMs today but did not encounter any odditys except the known 30% miss quota for bigger launchers (even if the missiles seem to hit a good portion fly past or spread around the target)
Problem with clan lauchers is their streaming. On the one hand their missiles travel much faster than IS LRMs but come in one at a time for each laucher. So an AMS will have to track and fire 3 at a time (in your case). With dual AMS and AMS Overload you will have a hard time to get a single hit except at short range 250-200m. If your missiles get shot down or hit terrain your reticule will not flash.

The next thing you should check is your team damage....red cross hapens regardless of the target you hit...

But then again, as I said before, there are other targets on the map qualifying for "hits" that won't give you registered damage.
Freshly downed mechs will also make your reticule flash when hit but wont register as damage when an enemy hides behind them, also field bases (your own too even if it gets no dmg) will let your crosshair flash when hit.

Edited by The Basilisk, 05 October 2016 - 02:04 PM.

#7 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:09 PM

View PostTibbnak, on 05 October 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

It's not very clearly stated anywhere and the loading screen tips are both out of date and misleading (as most of them are), but

Clan LRMs were nerfed a long while back so they have a similar problem as IS lrms, thus almost completely eliminating their advantages.

Closer than ~180m, clan LRM are basically wasted heat to fire, as the damage they will do is greatly reduced both by their firing angle and tracking (even if it looks like they hit, they can still miss fast mechs on serverside), and a heavy fall off.

This is why you take backup weapons and don't separate and be alone in a lrm boat.

Advantage of clan lrms are halve weight, less space and less heat.

#8 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:35 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 05 October 2016 - 02:09 PM, said:

Maybe not "less heat"... But, they can do damage closer than 180 meters, albeit that the damage they do decreases depending on how close you are to an enemy target. Thankfully, unlike I.S. LRMs, they don't lose all damage capability when closer than 180 meters. :mellow:

~D. V. "Darned I.S. LRM Safety Control!" Devnull

#9 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:52 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 05 October 2016 - 02:09 PM, said:

heat is the same. The damage drop off is the same descending slope effect as energy/ballistics do between optimal and max range... the difference is...its a reverse slope going from zero to 180 meters. Every 10% closer than 180 in range, 10% less damage. Or looked at another way, at 0 meters they're 0 damage and the damage climbs to 100% as you get to 180 meters. Unload 100 clan missiles at 10 meters... you're gonna do about 5 damage.

As to the original question.... are you sure you were hitting an ENEMY mech ? The crosshairs go red if you hit a mech, whether its friendly or an enemy... and it doesn't matter how much damage. You just scrape some paint, you'll get the red crosshairs. Its made worse by clan launchers because they actually multiply the usual missile count in flight by about 4....essentially you're firing mini-missiles... which do a fraction of a point of damage each. Its the same sort of lame PGI balance attempt that resulted in regular clan autocannons and ultra autocannons firing a stream of shells (which is correct as far as battletech autocannons are supposed to work) but inner sphere ones only fire a single shell (which is wrong).

Edited by Dee Eight, 05 October 2016 - 10:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users