Do You Like The Old Mechlab Better?

8 replies to this topic

#1 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:54 PM

I've been watching old video from 2013. Well, I started playing with the current system, so I had no idea what it was like, but it seems to be like the old system is better in some ways.

Now, the current system gives a better "overall" view of what's going on with your mech, that's without a doubt. You also get to spin your mech around to see what it looks like, so I like that.

Now, because in the video, they don't actually spin the mech, so I have no idea if that's actually a thing. But the old system can highlight individual weapons/equipment based on body parts. That, I thought, was very VERY cool.

Which happens to be one of my biggest complaint about the current system, that during weapon group assignment, it doesn't highlight which weapon you are actually selecting. (in fact, you should get that in the weapon assignment tab too, so that you can put weapons into the desire slot that you want, easier)

I feel like, a combination of the new and old system would make the machlab absolutely perfect. I wonder why the old system was scrapped so completely without retaining the good aspects about it?

(is it another one of PGI's mapgate-esque moment? though I have to say, agin... bird's eye view of the mech loadout is a lot stronger in the new system... the color code system is perfect... but the inability to highlight... omg... bugs the crap out of me)

#2 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:10 PM

It's much better than the wechlab we had in the middle there. The smurfy mechlab is quick and does a good job. I do agree the old mechlab let you interact more with you mech and was fun.

#3 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:13 PM

The old mechlab looked better aesthetically. It had a more visually appealing theme and it was nice to click on components you wanted to edit and then zoom in on them.

I still feel PGI did so little with the Mechlab in UI 2.0 compared to what they could have done. Why no technicians standing next to your mech, doing repairs and looking at clipboards? The models are already in the game, ffs!

Posted Image

Would definitely like to have the highlighted component back.

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:15 PM

I miss the Equip button

You don't know pain until you equip an ERSL Nova, complete with lasers replacing each other.

#5 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:29 PM

you adapt things in the current version like trying to rejoin a match are pretty bad

the first 2.0 seemed fine to me

#6 Wolf Ender

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:31 PM

the equip button needs to come back. Trying to drag a one slot item into a side torso that has exactly one slot left is like playing "operation" especially if you're running 1440p because the UI doesn't scale.

#7 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:00 PM

The only thing I wish pgi would have kept is the first ui's mech ready grid on the front page. Four of your favorite mechs with your custom build all ready for action. Click number one your mech, click number two the launch icon to get into battle. Now all we have is that junk tab or filter they name favorites. I've seen better use of graphics from first year graphic design students back when I was in college.

#8 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:31 PM

Well let's not talk about the first iteration of UI2.0 - the old mechlab, I think it was called 1.5 had some things that made mechbuilding quicker and more ergonomic. There was a little paper doll where you could choose a component, really helpful and the sorting of items was a bit better, at least "feeled" better but maybe thats just nostalgia.

If I could choose now, I'd take the new one. While this still needs more clicks than it should and there are still some small nuisances in it, I like that you can see and spin your mech while you equip it. It looks a bit more modern and polished, even if I miss some features and need more time to build a mech.

What I really miss is the ready grid on the front page, though. Give me 4 little icons for favorites and 4 more you can buy for MC and you can sink some MC and make people happy. Ok, some will shout "ripoff" about the MC ones but who cares.

#9 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:21 PM

View Post627, on 06 October 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

Well let's not talk about the first iteration of UI2.0 - the old mechlab, I think it was called 1.5 had some things that made mechbuilding quicker and more ergonomic. There was a little paper doll where you could choose a component, really helpful and the sorting of items was a bit better, at least "feeled" better but maybe thats just nostalgia.

If I could choose now, I'd take the new one. While this still needs more clicks than it should and there are still some small nuisances in it, I like that you can see and spin your mech while you equip it. It looks a bit more modern and polished, even if I miss some features and need more time to build a mech.

What I really miss is the ready grid on the front page, though. Give me 4 little icons for favorites and 4 more you can buy for MC and you can sink some MC and make people happy. Ok, some will shout "ripoff" about the MC ones but who cares.

I actually don't see what's so great about that. In the video I checked, I literally have no idea what they are doing. There is not a window to show group. I definitely like the new UI for just how much clearer it makes things. But I just wish there's a way you can highlight weapons when mounting or grouping them.

(in fact, that shouldn't be hard... all weapons are interchangeable parts animation. So all you have to do is make them glow, highlight, or whatever, and viola! perfect!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users