I Think I Just Did What People Were Worried About With 3Pv

10 replies to this topic

#1 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:33 PM

I was in a match. Tail end of the match in my Timberwolf. Had a couple KMDDs and kill blows under my belt and we were winning on conquest. Only two of the enemy 'mechs left. One of them was a large laser sniper Spider. I was pretty open on all torsos from seeing heavy combat. I was out of ammo for my LRMs which I use on my timby as closing weapons so I can get in range with my lasers. The enemy spider was sniping from the other side of a canyon and I was pretty much screwed if I tried to go after him. So what did I do? I put a rock in between me and the spider and popped into third person view. A twist of my torso and I could see him over the rock that I was hiding behind but he could not fire on me. I reported his position over VOIP comms to the rest of my team while I stayed hulled down and the Spider, seemingly confused by what he was seeing, stood there trying to snipe my 3PV drone to no avail. I lived, he died, we won. Isn't that the kind of exploitation that people didn't want 3PV in this game for to begin with?

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:38 PM

And? that isn't a bad thing. I use it all the time when I'm not sure of looking over a hill.

#3 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:46 PM

What most of the anti-3pv crowd really didn't want was the ability to fight as effectively from a 3PV which would have been similar to what you're demonstrating here plus the ability to have a much wider peripheral view.

What PGI failed to do when they decided to implement 3PV (resulting in the unneeded shitstorm that occured) was explain that they were mitigating the "effective fighting component" with the twitchy crosshair etc that they implemented.

Without the ability to fight from that view, it became a largely moot point.

Your example, while within the theme of exploitation we railed against, is really just a tiny component and I wouldn't sweat it.

#4 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:48 PM

View PostMole, on 07 October 2016 - 04:33 PM, said:

Isn't that the kind of exploitation that people didn't want 3PV in this game for to begin with?

Tbh i was expecting it to be much worse, like MW4ish. But it turned out to be useless other than the rare occurrence like what you described.

I still to this day have not used it or needed it.

Still salty over that island comment.

#5 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

It would be cool if the 3PV drone could be shot down so there was still an element of risk to it, but I suppose that hurts PGI's intent to have it as the beginner-friendly option.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:53 PM

The whole 3PV brouhaha was much ado about nothing. <shrugs>

In fact, it could have been more advanced, useful, and become a core part of information warfare. But the loud crybabies scuttled all of that.

As I keep saying, at least half of the problems with MWO can be traced back to the extremely whiny player base.

Edited by Mystere, 07 October 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#7 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:08 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 07 October 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

What most of the anti-3pv crowd really didn't want was the ability to fight as effectively from a 3PV which would have been similar to what you're demonstrating here plus the ability to have a much wider peripheral view.

What PGI failed to do when they decided to implement 3PV (resulting in the unneeded shitstorm that occured) was explain that they were mitigating the "effective fighting component" with the twitchy crosshair etc that they implemented.

Without the ability to fight from that view, it became a largely moot point.

Your example, while within the theme of exploitation we railed against, is really just a tiny component and I wouldn't sweat it.

You can learn to do it though. It basically involves ignoring the crosshair and playing the mech but I've played games with a raycast crosshair before and got used to it. Just nobody wants to.

Also there is a hidden advantage to 3PV crosshair. If you put the crosshair just past the edge of a boulder and wait until the crosshair 'jumps' you will instantly hit almost every time.

#8 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:38 PM

View PostMystere, on 07 October 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

The whole 3PV brouhaha was much ado about nothing. <shrugs>

In fact, it could have been more advanced, useful, and become a core part of information warfare. But the loud crybabies scuttled all of that.

As I keep saying, at least half of the problems with MWO can be traced back to the extremely whiny player base.

For many, myself included, it wasn't so much about how 3PV was going to be implemented but the fact that they promised never to do it. Then they promised you would have the option to never have to play against 3PV players if you so chose.

The implementation was, in the end, a pretty good nerfing of 3PV, instead the misrepresentation was the larger issue.

#9 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

I assume they promised never to do it because a bunch of hissy fit forumites complained about it during the development phase.

#10 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

No, that would be incorrect.

During the kickstarter they said that it was going to be 1st person only. Once the beta started they told us about the 3 pillars and that 3PV would never be a part of the game.

Initially it was a statement made by PGI, not a demand of the community or any "hissy fit forumites".

#11 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:45 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 07 October 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

Only that all those limitations were put in AFTER sh*t hit the fan. I'm pretty sure PGI never intended to weaken 3PV on their own. It was only after the community pointed out the various exploits that were now possible. I remember a lot of videos and screens that were collected by us to show how much an advantage 3PV gave over 1PV. As always, PGI's quality control team failed to find the most basic problems with the new view mode.

And that has nothing to do with being "whiny", Mystere. If you accuse everyone not of your opinion of being whiny, you must be a really fun guy to be around. PGI sold us MWO as a mech simulation with the strict promise it would stay 1PV only. When you include 3PV without any disadvantages, everyone will be forced to run it to stay competitive. And when everyone is running around in 3PV, it's not a simulation anymore. Perfectly viable reason to complain.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users