#21 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:00 AM

Spoiler

Jesus, Windschreiter that was some terrific piece of Battletech literature!

#22 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:11 AM

Spoiler

This is very good too!

Edited by Odanan, 21 October 2016 - 03:25 AM.

#23 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:10 AM

I don't know if this is the old file with the name of the hero pilots I told you guys, but the TheRealLoc.xml inside Game/Localized/English.pak has some info.

Examples:

Lines 38329 to 38336:
		  <Data ss:Type="String">VTR-DS_desc</Data>
		</Cell>
		<Cell>
		  <Data ss:Type="String">Ardan Sortek's personal Victor.</Data>
		</Cell>
		<Cell>
		  <Data ss:Type="String">Ardan Sortek's personal Victor.</Data>
		</Cell>
Lines 34549 to 34556:
		  <Data ss:Type="String">CDA-X5_desc</Data>
		</Cell>
		<Cell>
		  <Data ss:Type="String">Gibson Federated BattleMechs&#8217; X-5 Cicada prototype.</Data>
		</Cell>
		<Cell>
		  <Data ss:Type="String">Gibson Federated BattleMechs&#8217; X-5 Cicada prototype.</Data>
		</Cell>
Lines 37504 to 37511:
		  <Data ss:Type="String">STK-M_desc</Data>
		</Cell>
		<Cell>
		  <Data ss:Type="String">Colonel J. Elliot Jamison's personal Stalker.</Data>
		</Cell>
		<Cell>
		  <Data ss:Type="String">Colonel J. Elliot Jamison's personal Stalker.</Data>
		</Cell>
Ember pilot has a name! Lines 56899 to 56906:
		  <Data ss:Type="String">FS9-E_desc</Data>
		</Cell>
		<Cell>
		  <Data ss:Type="String">The personal Mech of Portia "Torrent" Ryan.</Data>
		</Cell>
		<Cell>
		  <Data ss:Type="String">The personal Mech of Portia "Torrent" Ryan.</Data>
		</Cell>
Also the Loup the Guerre! Lines 64477 to 64484:
          <Data ss:Type="String">TBT-LG_desc</Data>
        </Cell>
        <Cell>
          <Data ss:Type="String">The personal 'Mech of Peter Chandler.</Data>
        </Cell>
        <Cell>
          <Data ss:Type="String">The personal 'Mech of Peter Chandler.</Data>
        </Cell>
And here he is. Lines 35824 to 35831:
		  <Data ss:Type="String">JM6-FB_desc</Data>
		</Cell>
		<Cell>
		  <Data ss:Type="String">The personal 'Mech of "Devil" Donald Vincent.</Data>
		</Cell>
		<Cell>
		  <Data ss:Type="String">The personal 'Mech of "Devil" Donald Vincent.</Data>
		</Cell>

And that's it.

Edited by Odanan, 21 October 2016 - 03:53 AM.

#24 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:57 AM

Got the Ember and the Loup de Guerre updated now, thanks again!

Also found a correction for Jester: Leigh Voss appears to have been the pilot.

To be clear again btw. The story needs to be about how your main character encounters one of these heroes. Even for category 3 when you have more leeway for a hero's story, your main character cannot -be- the pilot of the hero mech in question.

#25 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:14 AM

View PostAranzor, on 21 October 2016 - 05:57 AM, said:

To be clear again btw. The story needs to be about how your main character encounters one of these heroes. Even for category 3 when you have more leeway for a hero's story, your main character cannot -be- the pilot of the hero mech in question.

Do I need to clarify my story to indicate that Raymond is the intended main character, and not the Clan warrior?

#26 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:55 AM

View PostAranzor, on 21 October 2016 - 05:57 AM, said:

Got the Ember and the Loup de Guerre updated now, thanks again!

Also found a correction for Jester: Leigh Voss appears to have been the pilot.

Oh boy. :(

#27 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:30 AM

View PostOdanan, on 21 October 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

Oh boy. :(

Same here -

my Character can't have the grim determination that is needed to carry my story - and I was not on misery - heck my character is still a child in the current mwo time line.. Oh dear indeed.

Puh...*rubs head maybe the grand father or a uncle

#28 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 21 October 2016 - 09:30 AM, said:

Same here -

my Character can't have the grim determination that is needed to carry my story - and I was not on misery - heck my character is still a child in the current mwo time line.. Oh dear indeed.

Puh...*rubs head maybe the grand father or a uncle

Why not create a new character specifically for the story? I don't think there was any stipulation that we had to stick to a certain RP character.

#29 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:14 PM

View PostHighlighter, on 21 October 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

Why not create a new character specifically for the story? I don't think there was any stipulation that we had to stick to a certain RP character.

Indeed there isn't! I think this may be the perception because someone asked if they could include this story as an aside from their character's larger story, which is also fine so long as the story remains encapsulated.

You're free to tell the story from whatever character your wish, so long as it IS NOT the hero/hero mech that that character comes across.

Hope that helps to better clear things up. ^^

#30 Ibrandul Mike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

MORE STORIES! I WANT MORE STORIES!

#31 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

View PostAranzor, on 21 October 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

You're free to tell the story from whatever character your wish, so long as it IS NOT the hero/hero mech that that character comes across.

Does it mean I am allowed to use a canon character? There is a character from whose point of view I would like to write the story. It is a very minor character, little more than the name is known but what is known is perfect for my story.
I am asking because there is the line "Do not use established characters." I could use a non-canon character I invented, but I feel the story loses a bit of emotional impact.

View PostIbrandul Mike, on 21 October 2016 - 01:29 PM, said:

MORE STORIES! I WANT MORE STORIES!

Mine is pretty much finished, should be done this weekend. :)

#32 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:19 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 21 October 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

Does it mean I am allowed to use a canon character? There is a character from whose point of view I would like to write the story. It is a very minor character, little more than the name is known but what is known is perfect for my story.
I am asking because there is the line "Do not use established characters." I could use a non-canon character I invented, but I feel the story loses a bit of emotional impact.

I want to say yes....but I'm really worried about what issues this might create. So lets do this: If you -really- want to use a created canon character it must indeed be a minor one, and you have to send me a quick message of the character and I'll OK it on a case-by-case basis.

#33 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

Thanks, that's fair. I'll PM you and promise: it is a truly minor character.

Edited by FLG 01, 21 October 2016 - 07:48 PM.

#34 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:10 AM

View PostHighlighter, on 21 October 2016 - 07:14 AM, said:

Do I need to clarify my story to indicate that Raymond is the intended main character, and not the Clan warrior?

Sorry, missed this question before. As no hero has been announced yet for that mech, you're good to go on both perspective and category, Highlighter!

#35 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:41 AM

View PostAranzor, on 21 October 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

Indeed there isn't! I think this may be the perception because someone asked if they could include this story as an aside from their character's larger story, which is also fine so long as the story remains encapsulated.

Hm... I think that was my case. My story is a part of a book I'm writing (that will certainly never be finished).

In that story the main character was involved in the development of the CDA-3F and when I saw this contest I though: why not the X-5 prototype? I remember PGI named their Gibson Federated test pilot (but can't remember the name or find it anywhere), but I suppose there was more than one prototype or test pilot, right? ;)

So I wrote that short chapter of a battle I had plans to write (but never actually started). For me these events are a great kickstart for actually put the words on the "paper". See, writing never comes easy to me.

PS: You can find some other excerpts here in the forums (the last one was in the Cyclops Event - the main character of the recent story is the Cicada pilot of the previous Cyclops contest).

#36 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:32 AM

View PostOdanan, on 22 October 2016 - 11:41 AM, said:

... I remember PGI named their Gibson Federated test pilot (but can't remember the name or find it anywhere), but I suppose there was more than one prototype or test pilot, right? Posted Image

And I'm perfectly fine with that actually, you just can't write the story from his point of view IN the pilot's seat. Posted Image

#37 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:00 AM

Can, I just say, I really enjoy this prompt/contest for 2 reasons.

1, I think I have dug into more of the lore part of Sarna and some old BT books than ever before for heroes, their history, their Clans and units.

2, thankful that inspite of touching on the hard-and-fast lore there was a lot of freedom in the story making.

I ended up making 2 entries plus a started a third lol But I'll probably just write that third one for funsies later on...

It's funny, my stepdad introduced me to BT mid90s but we mainly played it as a game. Even playing MW2 and Mercs I never gathered how big the BT story/universe was and how much writing had been done on it. Wasn't till I got into MWO that I think I got an appreciation for it all xD

So, mission accomplished, for me!

Edited by TygerLily, 26 October 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#38 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:42 AM

View PostTygerLily, on 26 October 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

Can, I just say, I really enjoy this prompt/contest for 2 reasons.

1, I think I have dug into more of the lore part of Sarna and some old BT books than ever before for heroes, their history, their Clans and units.

2, thankful that inspite of touching on the hard-and-fast lore there was a lot of freedom in the story making.

I ended up making 2 entries plus a started a third lol But I'll probably just write that third one for funsies later on...

It's funny, my stepdad introduced me to BT mid90s but we mainly played it as a game. Even playing MW2 and Mercs I never gathered how big the BT story/universe was and how much writing had been done on it. Wasn't till I got into MWO that I think I got an appreciation for it all xD

So, mission accomplished, for me!

As always man, you're right on it for why I set up the contest this way!

It was also thoroughly enjoyable to sneak in a writing perspective challenge. Normally most fiction writers create their own world within their story. How would one handle being forced to add an element they couldn't entirely manipulate?

#39 ProfPyro

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:56 PM

Just to be clear on the cutoff, is it the beginning of the 28th or the end? Utc or pacific time?

#40 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:36 PM

I think to give as much time as possible, lets say end of the 28th by PST. That way we'll have the weekend to judge.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users