Delay Updating Event Page

13 replies to this topic

#1 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:56 PM

Why does it take so long for matches to update on the event page?

Seems like an instant upload is a reasonable expectation.

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:07 PM

Outside of server cutbacks (because reasons), there really isn't an explanation. Other games are pretty instant (or nearly instant) regarding these things... but when the wait is from 15 mins (from when they started events way back when) to 1 hour, I get the feeling regular maintenance is becoming Lostech.

Edited by Deathlike, 09 October 2016 - 02:08 PM.

#3 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:36 PM

Well, if one were charitable, one could say that they intentionally made it update once an hour, on the hour, top make it consistent. That way, everyone knows when it's going to update, and you don't have any problems with it sometimes updating immediately, sometimes updating a bit later - No wobbling response times, just even across the board with no hiccups.

Your call if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt or not.

#4 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

View PostBombast, on 09 October 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

Your call if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt or not.

Those are only reserved for mechpack announcements.

#5 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:03 PM

You're supposed feel the need to try again, "just in case" …

#6 Stealthrider

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:20 PM

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time (or one of the first times) they've done an event where the KMDD requirement is what you're piloting, not what you kill. It's likely fetching that info is more difficult, or has the potential to be, therefore PGI is playing it safe. Not to mention separating it into daily challenges is new territory, another reason to tread carefully with the servers.

#7 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:27 PM

PGI wants you to suffer. They want you to agonize for an hour if you forgot to check your match screen for KMDD. Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 09 October 2016 - 05:32 PM.

#8 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:33 PM

I'd like to know as well. 1 hour isn't acceptable.

#9 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

View PostAccused, on 09 October 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

I'd like to know as well. 1 hour isn't acceptable.

Lawl, really?

Who cares if it takes an hour.

#10 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:39 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 09 October 2016 - 06:31 PM, said:

Lawl, really?

Presumably, people who are YOLO rushing, dumping as much damage as they can do in 20 seconds, dying, ditching the match, and then jumping into the next weight class. In theory, you can clear the event in about 10 minutes doing that (Probably less), but you wouldn't know until the next hourly update because you only get to see your XP/C-Bill rewards if you're alive when they happen, or if you stick around for the match end.

But yah... of all the things to get upset about, an hourly update instead of a 'every third second' update is the silliest.

#11 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:33 PM

View PostBombast, on 09 October 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

Presumably, people who are YOLO rushing, dumping as much damage as they can do in 20 seconds, dying, ditching the match, and then jumping into the next weight class. In theory, you can clear the event in about 10 minutes doing that (Probably less), but you wouldn't know until the next hourly update because you only get to see your XP/C-Bill rewards if you're alive when they happen, or if you stick around for the match end.

It takes a bit of effort to get a KMDD. It's not trivial unless you're crazy good (and that's not most players). Like Assists, the target has to die to collect that bonus... so suicide grinding is rather ineffective.

But yah... of all the things to get upset about, an hourly update instead of a 'every third second' update is the silliest.

While not being worth upset about, but it may keep people playing longer than intended... which for some people can be a PITA.

It's just easier to check your stats after match and then move onto the next weight class and ignore waiting for the thing to show up on the event checker.

It's in your best interest to take screenshots of match results just in case anyways.

Edited by Deathlike, 09 October 2016 - 07:33 PM.

#12 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:05 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 09 October 2016 - 07:33 PM, said:

It takes a bit of effort to get a KMDD. It's not trivial unless you're crazy good (and that's not most players). Like Assists, the target has to die to collect that bonus... so suicide grinding is rather ineffective.

Well... I'm a pretty crap mechwarrior, and I find it fairly easy for the most part. Sure, you occasionally get the odd match where everything goes wrong, but for the most part getting a KMDD is as simple as cramming as many SRMs into a chassis as you can fit, finding a mech, and holding your trigger down. If you're not concerned with living, you can easily do the 25-35% damage needed to get an almost guaranteed KMDD. That usually assumes someone else is going to finish the job, of course, but if it only takes 2-3 minutes to do each suicide, but it takes 10 minutes to actually finish a match like a sane person... well, you see where this is going.

For the sake of full disclosure, since we're talking about performance stuff, my average match score is somewhere around 210 (Crap), and I've been unable to finish my KMDDs in the first hour maybe twice so far. Averaging out at about 6 matches a day to clear (Did it in 4 today). Also, I do try not to do the above suicide method, though if I'm honest I probably have done some dumb things to get the KMDD on the rougher days, particularly in lights (Which I suck at) and assaults (Because I hate King Crabs and anyone who's watched me play in one knows it).

#13 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:05 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 09 October 2016 - 06:31 PM, said:

Lawl, really?

Obviously me!

#14 Caldek

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:20 PM

Have we really set the bar so low that a database query once an hour isn't offensively limited? Updates on the quarter hour is an entirely reasonable to expectation. And those updates would be value adding for many players with limited playtime. After all, its not like the OP is asking for real time in-game statistics (you know, like every serious game out there).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users