- - - - -

What Game Is This?

31 replies to this topic

#1 -FLY

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:06 AM

I have played more than 1000 hours since steam release, at first I enjoy it ...a lot....because I think the trial mechs are good, jenner (I call it a freestyle mech - because you can jump freestyle while shooting), raven (long range fast mech plus ecm - what more do you want?) king crab, atlas ecm, and many more, then they change it. I thouht, well, maybe that's for the better....well, that's a year ago, right? fast forward into the present moment, just a few minutes ago, me, the same old me, experiencing a hardcore of moron players....in conquest mode, only 2 lights are capping around, while the other heavier mechs were just stand there at one point....attacking with lrm, and not even move eventhough they know the enemies are cored....just stand in there.....(a cricket noise) and after we lose one of my team with an arnold schwazsenegger accent (russia/austria) said.....**** capping.....wtf? and not just that...the amount of lrms are ridicolous....in polar high map...the enemies have lrms all over the place...so what's the point not able to do anything? (a cricket noise again)...so yeah.....I think I beginning to think that MWO is wasting my time....well, thanks anyway for giving me a free games....but it's enough for me....

Edited by -FLY, 05 September 2016 - 07:06 AM.

#2 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:57 AM

A) Steam sucks......for me at least.

B) You are in a lower Tier where LRMs are common. As you move up they become rare. Unless you meet a unit that has planned to use them.

C) Conquest mode...the most money you can make but the larger mech pilots do not like it as much. Last night (about 4:00am, I could not sleep) one guy was saying, "forget about capping and just kill the enemy Mechs". Some of us totally ignored him and capped anyway while fighting. I guess he was not even looking because he was still talking about winning through killing the enemy when we hit 750 and won. Which is not always the case. And it helps when you know the maps like I finally do. As we drop from the ship I'm already turning toward a target base.

P.S. The battle is always at Theta, lol.

#3 -FLY

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:15 AM

A) Steam sucks......for me at least.

Posted Image You are in a lower Tier where LRMs are common. As you move up they become rare. Unless you meet a unit that has planned to use them.

ok, likeuntogod, i have met you several times in quick play, so i assumed that you're also a tier 5/4/3, am i correct? now, I have a question for you.
1. I am on tier 5, almost going into the middle bar, and my question is....how am I suppose to win so I can be in tier 4? I mean is every quick play I play I have to win? or should I change my account and start all over again?

2. what does it mean by steam suks? what's the diffrent between steam and the original PGI ones?

3. how do you climb up into whatever your tier is now? did you play all day or win all the time?

thanks for your answer...

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,735 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:30 AM

x hours since steam release, so you started when it went live with Steam, or that you were playing previously but now you are able to track your time in MWO via Steam? Ignore him about Steam and non-Steam Posted Image

Right now there is a challenge happening, bringing out people who do not play as often and for many LRMs are "easy" mode for them, especially since many are carrying narcs. Prior to the event you would see a tag/narc users here and there, and go through several games and not see anyone using them. Since the current event has conditions for using narcs/tags, LRMS are coming out of the woodwork.

On the bright side the best counter to LRM boats is to rush them. On the bad side that can be more difficult, likely more so in the lower tiers and when there is no communication.

Moving up is almost a guarantee if your team wins, unless your damage is so low then it is status quo. If your team loses, you can still move up but it takes a high damage score.

As for Polar and other similar maps, too many gravitate to the middle and on Polar that can be bad since a portion of it very open. Also consider most move to their right, it is nice when you can get the team go left and engage the lead elements of the opposing team. Remember, it is more difficult to recover when your team is down 2-3 mechs right off the bat.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 05 September 2016 - 08:34 AM.

#5 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

Going up a tier faster involves consistent damage output and more wins than losses.

Looking at your stats, you need to do more damage and get more kills. This will, in turn, bump your win average as a result.

1. I think I prefer lights, but it's wayyyyy easier to get the dmg and kills in heavies and assaults.

2. A solid goal is to get a kill every match. No one gets a kill every match, but if you get one before you go down, then you know you at least took down one of theirs.

3. Go for ecm mechs and buy a radar deprivation module to deal with the LRMs. Always have a bit of cover in mind as you're moving along in the event you get the incoming missile message. If you don't know where you're going to hide or have no place to hide, you're gonna die.

4. My damage was subpar for a long time because I was ignoring weapon range. The mechlab is kind of misleading about maximum effective range. At the very edge of a wepon's range, you're pretty much tickling the enemy mechs. I would peek and poke and pop and poop, totally thinking I was rockin it, then at the end it'd say I did 63 damage. :S

5. Combining a couple of the above concepts, run a heavy or assault brawler. Stay low during the sniper/lrm opening of the round. Keep your mech as shiny and undamaged as possible. Then, once the battlefield is chock full of walking wounded, go out and start smashing face. This takes patience, and patience is half the battle in MWO. I still overextend and get hosed regularly, but I generally know what I did wrong, why I died, and what I could have done differently to survive longer.

6. And I salute you for hangin in there for 1000 hours. Weaker types might have walked away sooner. I urge you to hang with it, read a lot, consult with people on this board, and figure out what's holding you back. Turning the corner is a very satisfying event, and you'll move rapidly toward tier 4 once you have a couple of mechs with builds that kill more than get killed. Then, you'll be hooked again and ready for more.

Good luck!

#6 Tsar Bomba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:07 AM

View Post-FLY, on 05 September 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

hardcore of moron players....in conquest mode, only 2 lights are capping around, while the other heavier mechs were just stand there at one point....attacking with lrm, and not even move eventhough they know the enemies are cored....just stand in there.....(a cricket noise) and after we lose one of my team with an arnold schwazsenegger accent (russia/austria) said.....**** capping.....wtf?

Now you know how everyone else felt right after you downloaded the game from steam.

#7 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:22 AM

View Post-FLY, on 05 September 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

1. I am on tier 5, almost going into the middle bar, and my question is....how am I suppose to win so I can be in tier 4? I mean is every quick play I play I have to win? or should I change my account and start all over again?

There are two ways to do this if you are willing to make a new account:

1. Practice playing trial mechs (even if you own your own mechs), once you can easilly get 3+ kills in a heavy or assault trial mech per game... Start a new account and play trials until you get to tier 3. (You should easilly get to tier 3 before your recruit bonuses run out).

2. If you are willing to spend money on a new account- buy a (C) designation mech with a good heavy or assault (that you already know how to play from your original account- please make sure you can already get 3+ kills a game in said mech before you make the new account.

(C) designation mechs are Mechs upgraded by the community to be effective out of the box. This saves you cbills starting from your first game. (This is also why trials are so much more powerful the the stock mechs you buy right out of the mech lab for c-bills)

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:16 AM

Kill things, a lot of things, and get high match scores (actually more important than killing) and you'll move up.
Myself I ride along the border of tiers 3 and 4 mainly due to infrequency of play and screwing around.

Get match scores of 100 or more, this is a good start to fast tracking out of tier 5.

#9 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

Welcome to Call of Duty: Mechwarrior Edition.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:45 PM

And the most important (sorry!!!! did not mention it in my 1st post) if you have not done so, turn the game's mouse sensitivity down to 0.2 to 0.1. That will provide you with a steadier mouse, helping to keep your mouse, aka cross-hair, on your target consistently more.

#11 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:56 PM

View Post-FLY, on 05 September 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

A) Steam sucks......for me at least. Posted Image You are in a lower Tier where LRMs are common. As you move up they become rare. Unless you meet a unit that has planned to use them. ok, likeuntogod, i have met you several times in quick play, so i assumed that you're also a tier 5/4/3, am i correct? now, I have a question for you. 1. I am on tier 5, almost going into the middle bar, and my question is....how am I suppose to win so I can be in tier 4? I mean is every quick play I play I have to win? or should I change my account and start all over again? 2. what does it mean by steam suks? what's the diffrent between steam and the original PGI ones? 3. how do you climb up into whatever your tier is now? did you play all day or win all the time? thanks for your answer...

Hey Bro;

I'm LUG for short.

Russ was saying he was going to make a Tier 6 just for me so......I like to say I'm at Tier 5.4.

And yes, I'm a known Steam Hater for other games and other reasons really. Like when they would lose my info and I would have to freaking send them a picture of my game to prove to them I own it!

It is much easier to go up playing larger and more powerful Mechs. Then you can do enough damage to even go up if the team loses. To do that in a light is much harder. I have a number of semi-new mechs, some I do not like that I'm trying to do the pilot trees for and that is having me take one step back for each two forward.

Speaking up is a good thing, if you see people doing things wrong speak out (in the right way). A lot of people are looking for some direction.

I admit, when I'm in a Kodiak I do an Ivan Drago accent, lol, But I would have never said not to cap. Late last night some guy was saying that (I wonder if he is the same one) and he was still saying that when we reached 750 and won, lol.

I'm used to grinding, just making C-Bills and XP. I used my Kit Foxes a lot and you do not get much damage with them. But LRMs are not a problem, lol.

If you want to go up IMO. Play more powerful mechs and do all you can to win the match. It is better to play 3 good matches where you win vs 10 where you win 3-4 of them.

I hope to see you again and we will work together more.

#12 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:05 PM

View PostHunka Junk, on 05 September 2016 - 08:53 AM, said:

Going up a tier faster involves consistent damage output and more wins than losses. Looking at your stats, you need to do more damage and get more kills. This will, in turn, bump your win average as a result. 1. I think I prefer lights, but it's wayyyyy easier to get the dmg and kills in heavies and assaults. 2. A solid goal is to get a kill every match. No one gets a kill every match, but if you get one before you go down, then you know you at least took down one of theirs. 3. Go for ecm mechs and buy a radar deprivation module to deal with the LRMs. Always have a bit of cover in mind as you're moving along in the event you get the incoming missile message. If you don't know where you're going to hide or have no place to hide, you're gonna die. 4. My damage was subpar for a long time because I was ignoring weapon range. The mechlab is kind of misleading about maximum effective range. At the very edge of a wepon's range, you're pretty much tickling the enemy mechs. I would peek and poke and pop and poop, totally thinking I was rockin it, then at the end it'd say I did 63 damage. :S 5. Combining a couple of the above concepts, run a heavy or assault brawler. Stay low during the sniper/lrm opening of the round. Keep your mech as shiny and undamaged as possible. Then, once the battlefield is chock full of walking wounded, go out and start smashing face. This takes patience, and patience is half the battle in MWO. I still overextend and get hosed regularly, but I generally know what I did wrong, why I died, and what I could have done differently to survive longer. 6. And I salute you for hangin in there for 1000 hours. Weaker types might have walked away sooner. I urge you to hang with it, read a lot, consult with people on this board, and figure out what's holding you back. Turning the corner is a very satisfying event, and you'll move rapidly toward tier 4 once you have a couple of mechs with builds that kill more than get killed. Then, you'll be hooked again and ready for more. Good luck!

I agree with Hunka Junk.

(btway, I've looked and I cannot find a Hunka Junk anywhere even though I've seen you in matches)

#13 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:21 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 05 September 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

And the most important (sorry!!!! did not mention it in my 1st post) if you have not done so, turn the game's mouse sensitivity down to 0.2 to 0.1. That will provide you with a steadier mouse, helping to keep your mouse, aka cross-hair, on your target consistently more.

^this is generally the solution for most people to get out of t5

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 05 September 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#14 Girth Fillmore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 174 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

If you've played more than 1000 hours since the Steam release, and are mid-way through tier 5, do you believe that the game mechanics and other players are the problem?

*Edit: Also, doesn't 1000+ hours played disqualify you from being a new player? I question the location of your post.

Edited by Girth Fillmore, 05 September 2016 - 01:57 PM.

#15 -FLY

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:26 PM

View PostGirth Fillmore, on 05 September 2016 - 01:37 PM, said:

If you've played more than 1000 hours since the Steam release, and are mid-way through tier 5, do you believe that the game mechanics and other players are the problem?

*Edit: Also, doesn't 1000+ hours played disqualify you from being a new player? I question the location of your post.

Well, since I wasn't able to reach tier 3, then I guess I'm still thinking I'm a noob, or whatsoever, and yes, the game mechanics needs to be upgraded, I think, a larger map, and a more sniping weapons.

#16 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:46 PM

And the rain begins.....:P

#17 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:13 PM

https://mwomercs.com...user=Hunka+Junk

View Post-FLY, on 05 September 2016 - 02:26 PM, said:

Well, since I wasn't able to reach tier 3, then I guess I'm still thinking I'm a noob, or whatsoever, and yes, the game mechanics needs to be upgraded, I think, a larger map, and a more sniping weapons.

That is the issue for many about sniping, especially in MWO sniping is not a one-shot deal. "Sniping" is simply long range shooting, and remember, all weapons have an OPTIMAL range where they do their max damage, then MAX range where that damage drops off to ZERO.

Think about that...You may be doing 10 damage with an isERPPC but that is only up to 810m (non-modules/quirks) but after that the damage starts dropping til at 1620 it is only tiny bit of damage. Take isERLL, the same thing but it is hitscan and a DOT, so it is only doing itty-bitty percentage points of damage usually over multiple sections.

#18 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:33 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 05 September 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

Thanks, I was looking for him in the game using their leaderboards.

In the game, I can't seem to find anyone that has a gap in their name or two names. It will not allow you to make a space and then it says pilot does not exist...

For instance, I can find Yushi...but not Pat Kell.

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 05 September 2016 - 06:41 PM.

#19 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

This game is MWO, and not whatever other game you are wishing or thinking it is.

Next question?

#20 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:12 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 05 September 2016 - 06:33 PM, said:

Thanks, I was looking for him in the game using their leaderboards.

In the game, I can't seem to find anyone that has a gap in their name or two names. It will not allow you to make a space and then it says pilot does not exist...

For instance, I can find Yushi...but not Pat Kell.

You can find me by typing my name all in caps with the space.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users