Please don't become a statistic

14 replies to this topic

#1 Nairdowell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 193 posts
  • LocationDeep in my hidden lab, atop a mountain, somewhere in the backwoods of Tennessee, USA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

This came in via Yahoo.....

I know we all have been waiting for this game, some of us for years..... but please do not make the mistakes these unfortunate souls did.....

Live to game is okay.... but to die for it? What a waste.....

Nair

#2 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

That is just...wow just wow....people need to see the warning signs while they play (weakness of the body, extreme fatigue, trouble keeping your eyes open or seeing, dizzyness, things of this nature) and need to take breaks time to time x.x I can spend a good long time palying games, but dang if I take my breaks and do something active x.x

#3 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

View Postthontor, on 18 July 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Where the hell were this kid's parents!.. This seems to happen a lot over there in far east... you'd think they'd learn something called moderation

Wasn't there like some old lady here in the us who died while playing WoW also, not trying to troll just yeah, I swear I heard about it somewhere

#4 Nairdowell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 193 posts
  • LocationDeep in my hidden lab, atop a mountain, somewhere in the backwoods of Tennessee, USA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

The last kid was probably in the US as well... so I don't doubt there have been others......

#5 Dredhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationSpace Colony Texas

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

Really Im a video game freak but I stop to eat sleep pee... Are these people really this stupid sorry if I offended anyone but I have no sympathy for people like that 18 year old in the story...

Edited by Dredhawk, 18 July 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#6 Nairdowell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

My sympathy is for his family..... but many of us have been wrapped up in hours long sessions before.... even all-nighters.... chances are slim, but it could happen to anyone..... just be alert...

#7 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostNairdowell, on 18 July 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

My sympathy is for his family..... but many of us have been wrapped up in hours long sessions before.... even all-nighters.... chances are slim, but it could happen to anyone..... just be alert...

Well I did list the main warning signs, I have done allot of all nighters myself, but I try to stay aware, and not always was it from games, but no matter what it is, people whould be aware of their physical being and notice when their body acts different

#8 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

I'm going to get alot of flak for this, but I think it must be heard....
.... It was his own damn fault! He should have known the human body can't sit or lay in the same position for more then a few hours, unless your sleeping or comatose. Where was this kid's parents! They should have limited him to how long and often the kid should have had on his Computer! I see it alot of times, they don't want to take the blame so they blame the gaming community and/or the developers, who then get alot of flak and need to make some sort of apology. Well you know what? The kid should have known better.

#9 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

Never said it wasn't his fault, I just said for people to be aware of their body and watch for the signs. o.e

#10 JanLu Sung

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Grand Base

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostDredhawk, on 18 July 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Really Im a video game freak but I stop to eat sleep pee... Are these people really this stupid sorry if I offended anyone but I have no sympathy for people like that 18 year old in the story...

I think you´re being rather too harsh. Of course I have sympathy for that kid. I rather doubt that he was trying to kill himself intentionally, thus his death is a tragedy regardless of how much one might consider this death self-inflicted.
As for his parents, I can´t remember my parents having much control over me or my lifestyle at the age of 18 (my age, not their´s...). I really think this is more a question of gaming addiction - which still isn´t being taken very seriously as a mental condition - and a lack of awareness.
Maybe internet cafés should be required to enforce breaks from time to time.

#11 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostSidra, on 18 July 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

Never said it wasn't his fault, I just said for people to be aware of their body and watch for the signs. o.e

Well, he should have known better also. Fourty hours, did you hear about that kid that died playing Starcraft 2 for more then three days straight, causing his legs to clott so that, when he stood up, he had a massive heart attack and died.

#12 Johndar

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSome place I shouldn't be

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

Some people have addictive personalities.

MechWarrior...My anti-drug

#13 Icedpyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • 397 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

what do his parents have to do with anything? You think if he'd been at home his parent's could MAKE a teenager stop playing a newly released game? People in south east asia are HUGE into gaming. ESPECIALLY blizzard titles. That being said, moderation is always important when it comes to gaming.

#14 Sidra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostBrenden, on 18 July 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

Well, he should have known better also. Fourty hours, did you hear about that kid that died playing Starcraft 2 for more then three days straight, causing his legs to clott so that, when he stood up, he had a massive heart attack and died.

Yeah in no way am I sticking up for people, I just try to help with awareness, beatin the heat and game fatigue can be very similar, just watch ur body look for the signs and people STAY AWARE, when your body starts acting drasticly different that is the time to call the doctors

#15 bloodline

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationHere.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Video game addiction is growing in recognition, and the clinical assistance for it is growing in-turn. As a mental health professional, I've seen a variety of things becoming an addiction for people. It isn't about WHAT the addiction is to, it's about the damage it does to the person and their loved ones. This is a very sad story. I can only hope someone reads his story and makes positive changes in their life as a result.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users