New Terra Therma Is...

77 replies to this topic

#21 Unquietemu

• Pip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

The map and the effects are beautiful, I wish there were more was more verticality.

Edited by Unquietemu, 20 October 2016 - 12:36 PM.

#22 The Botanist

• Pip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:51 PM

View PostDigous, on 18 October 2016 - 04:13 PM, said:

polar highLRMnds!!

HAHAHAHA

#23 PR1VATEER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:21 PM

Very cool indeed! I really liked it. 1000x better than old nasty TT. It will not be missed! Well done guys! You made the most undesirable map become a welcome map!

#24 OMCBOONE

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

I really like TinaTherma. My only small complaint is the brightness. Very Very Dark. I know i can use my vision, but its tad darker than I think it should be.

#25 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:25 PM

View PostOMCBOONE, on 20 October 2016 - 01:24 PM, said:

I really like TinaTherma. My only small complaint is the brightness. Very Very Dark. I know i can use my vision, but its tad darker than I think it should be.

I kind of like it.

Crimson, on the other hand, has its gamma turned high enough to blow your eyes out of their sockets.

#26 OMCBOONE

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 20 October 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

I kind of like it.

Crimson, on the other hand, has its gamma turned high enough to blow your eyes out of their sockets.

Aye maybe they should balance the brightness across the board.. I know that snow should be bright but not a white out all the time. There are some maps like you say that are way to bright and if i dare mess with Gama it makes one map better but the other extremes more extreme.

#27 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:20 PM

View PostCheeseThief, on 18 October 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

The map is great so long as both teams don't go the middle pass. Just like the old Terra Therma funnily enough.

Yeah I feel the same way. That middle section is about 100 times worse than the old Terra Thema in my opinion. Everything still channels through a couple funnels and you have to swing WAY, WAY out to flank around a choke point. Domnination on this map is horrible though other mode can be good, except when as you mention the fight is at the center. However fights on the outskirts are fricken awesome.

#28 METAL SEPARATOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:39 PM

I would prefer maps with clearer view, if you know what I mean. Such as Crimson Strait at the day time.

#29 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:46 PM

The new map is excellent. Way better.

#30 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:47 PM

New Terra is a good addition as a new map, but a poor replacement for Old Terra. Both maps should be retained, in my opinion.

At best, New Terra, as a rework, should only have touched up Old Terra, similarly to how Caustic Valley was reworked. NT heat should have been the same as OT's, and most of the map should have been left intact. Ideally, only the center would have been reworked.

NT now is an entirely different beast. The vertical nature of OT, which made it so much fun to play, is gone. Those numerous volcanic peaks, each with their own lava-filled craters, made great battlegrounds. Now we just have a bunch of broken paths with chokepoints.

OT's gameplay was a lot more dynamic because you had a lot of options outside the main crater. People were so focused on that main crater that they missed this though, and now we have a lesser map to replace it. Already, just after the short time it's been out, I can see how gameplay will be on the new map. Teams already go to the same couple of areas where they are forced to fight head-on because of the nature of the narrow chokepoints. Flanking takes too long now, and the cooler temps don't punish the hot, laser-vomit metaMechs as much as the OT did.

I really, really want my Old Terra back. I want to keep New Terra because it is a fun map in its own right, but it can't be considered an upgrade because it is an entirely different creature. I want my old gameplay that I used to enjoy. OT had some good brawling and a mix of long, mid, and short range. This NT though is mostly long-range and plays out a lot like Polar Highlands for me; a map I hate. :(

#31 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:57 PM

Well, I've played it more, and every game, I learn another lesson in hate.

Most of the map is great - I love it. And I love the heat mechanics. And I adore the look. But that center area... it is, without a doubt, the absolute worst 500m2 spot in the entire game. And as time goes on, it appears that the player base seems more and more eager to rush it. I've never begrudged anyone for any of the choices or plays they've made in this game, but to all you people who go mid on that map when it's not domination... well, rest assured that if I told you how I really felt, I'd have my *** kicked off these forums in a heart beat.

Just... stop. Please. The middle is just a grinder where victory is decided by who gets bored not fighting first (They lose). It's dumb and I hate it.

Edited by Bombast, 20 October 2016 - 04:06 PM.

#32 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:30 PM

View PostBombast, on 20 October 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

Most of the map is great - I love it. And I love the heat mechanics. And I adore the look. But that center area... it is, without a doubt, the absolute worst 500m2 spot in the entire game. And as time goes on, it appears that the player base seems more and more eager to rush it. I've never begrudged anyone for any of the choices or plays they've made in this game, but to all you people who go mid on that map when it's not domination... well, rest assured that if I told you how I really felt, I'd have my *** kicked off these forums in a heart beat.

Just... stop. Please. The middle is just a grinder where victory is decided by who gets bored not fighting first (They lose). It's dumb and I hate it.

Almost every time I've taken charge to avoid it, and player response has been positive.

Try leading?

#33 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:40 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 20 October 2016 - 04:30 PM, said:

Almost every time I've taken charge to avoid it, and player response has been positive.

Try leading?

Hard to get people to follow your lead when you're either LRM boating (Leading from behind) or SRM boating (Puttering around in the middle).

That, and an aversion to voice comms.

That's why I usually don't begrudge people when they make 'wrong' (Counter to my opinion) moves. But that middle area... it's beyond me who would actually want to go there.

#34 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:54 PM

View PostBombast, on 20 October 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

don't worry i'm sure once you get some domination matches in there won't be anyone who will go to the center circle area- cause why would you go there when you're supposed to right?

#35 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:16 PM

I agree with those who also believe that the old Terra Therma should be kept in the cycle (just as the old forest colony and frozen city). The central meeting zone on this map is one of the most painful meeting places and I'm sure it was done intentionally. Hopefully people will a) learn to not meet there and B) stop hanging out in one giant group. I haven't had the fortune to have team mates with an open mind on flanking, but if a group of 4-6 faster mechs were regularly up for splitting up and hitting the enemy group from another side, this could be turned into a real thinking match finally!

One suggestion I have for this map would be to either move the Domination meeting point or take advantage of all those great open areas and make a random locations for it to keep it fresh and interesting each time. Teems could even be dropped parallel to each other so that attacking the enemy on their way to the domination point could become an option as opposed to just rushing there in the usual train.

#36 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:35 PM

The frustrating thing, is that Old Terra just needed a touch up. The central crater could have been removed, or more paths could have been added into it. Additional boxes in the center could have also helped by increasing cover. Other than the central crater, the rest of the map was pure gold.

Instead, PGI threw out one of the most well-balanced and fun maps in the game in favor of a complete do-over. I'll never understand that.

Shoot, they even decreased the heat on the map. :(

#37 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:59 PM

Terra Therma has no MUST GO TO area that your team needs to fight at, unlike certain maps (HPG, Frozen, Bog, etc).

Near ever grid or 2, has areas that are good places to be and bad places to be. Also, every camp area has a counter (more or less).

Aka thus with a lock of a "central" location to rush too. The PUG team usually just rush map towards center till they hit the enemy. At which time you pray that the grid area they in when they engage is the "good" area.

Having no definite good camp spot in whole map, might be an even worst thing for PUGs then a definite camping area.

For example, I think, rushing from H7 to G7 is suicide, when enemy are G7. But at same time, if you at F7, before enemy is at G7. F7-G7 area is a good spot to blast enemies rushing from the opposite side.
Or G8 is a great area, to rush enemies at G7/F7. But horrible area to camp if enemy is behind G7.

For me, never in MWO, has there been a map that terrain favors different sides so much in one grid or one 3x3 grid. And this vast changes in terrain favor is across the whole map. Just that people love the G8/G7/F7 area.

#38 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:06 AM

This map makes me wish we had mech lights / search lights on our mechs. A minor feature to be sure but adds immersion and game polish which MWO needs more of. MW4 had them. Devs, please put this on your long list of features to eventually get to.

#39 skumm

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 89 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:12 AM

F7-G7 deathtrap funnel of death. No different than the inner caldera on the old map. People get bottlenecked, refuse to push and get slaughtered one by one. No fun there.

#40 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:13 AM

View PostBombast, on 20 October 2016 - 04:40 PM, said:

Hard to get people to follow your lead when you're either LRM boating (Leading from behind) or SRM boating (Puttering around in the middle).

Whybare you in the back if you have LRMs?! That is where LRM Mechs go to die (by ankle-biters) and throw missiles at walls 700m away...

Successful LRMers are in the lead and pouring LRMs on the enemy's front-line Mechs to keep them torso-twisting while the brawlers slap them down. At least that is how I LURM...

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users