13 replies to this topic

#1 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:15 PM

Since we now know PGI is capable of putting in user-based content, why not run a contest and pick out 3 or 5 winners with the same concept?

Winners would have their content be made into medallions or whatever to be put into the game that can be bought for MC by anyone, while winning accounts are able to buy a decal version.

Small steps towards user-based decals by starting with unique ones (that are not unit based).

#2 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:42 PM

Last time we had a contest in that vein, they laughed at the winners instead of taking them seriously. I'm not in a position to go hunt it down, but can someone find the cockpit item contest details again for me?

Disclaimer: If PGI did an event like this and actually respected it, I would actually enjoy it. I just don't want a repeat of last time. Took me awhile to edit this in due to my internet dying right as I realized I could be taken the wrong way.

Edited by RestosIII, 21 October 2016 - 10:57 PM.

#3 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:28 AM

The end result would 5 guys get a cool decal and we all get to buy medallions with pictures of their cool decals?

I'll pass.

They could do custom geometry though. 'member that?

<sigh>

#4 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:27 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 21 October 2016 - 10:42 PM, said:

Last time we had a contest in that vein, they laughed at the winners instead of taking them seriously. I'm not in a position to go hunt it down, but can someone find the cockpit item contest details again for me?

Disclaimer: If PGI did an event like this and actually respected it, I would actually enjoy it. I just don't want a repeat of last time. Took me awhile to edit this in due to my internet dying right as I realized I could be taken the wrong way.

To be fair, it was a "serious" cockpit item forum, and 3/4 of the suggestions were full on ridiculous crap. I'd have mocked them, too.

#5 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:34 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 22 October 2016 - 04:27 AM, said:

To be fair, it was a "serious" cockpit item forum, and 3/4 of the suggestions were full on ridiculous crap. I'd have mocked them, too.

Instead of focusing on the suggestions that were actually most popular and also serious?

#6 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:37 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 22 October 2016 - 04:34 AM, said:

Instead of focusing on the suggestions that were actually most popular and also serious?

They acknowledged the good ones. They then ripped on the people with serious reading comprehension issues, considering "serious" was in the title and the first paragraph restated they wanted non-joke ideas. I'd have done the same. Here they are, offering to listen and incorporate player suggestions - finally, something the community always wants - and the community goes full derp on them. Worth a good laugh.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 22 October 2016 - 04:37 AM.

#7 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:50 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 22 October 2016 - 04:27 AM, said:

Just went back and reviewed that contest thread. Some good stuff there. Page 18 when Matt provides a definition of "serious" is the perhaps the funniest of them all (hamster not serious, bullets are serious, etc.). I'd buy some of that user based content, serious or not.

Edit: http://mwomercs.com/...t-item-contest/

Edited by Bud Crue, 22 October 2016 - 04:50 AM.

#8 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:51 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 22 October 2016 - 04:50 AM, said:

Just went back and reviewed that contest thread. Some good stuff there. Page 18 when Matt provides a definition of "serious" is the perhaps the funniest of them all (hamster not serious, bullets are serious, etc.). I'd buy some of that user based content, serious or not.

Edit: http://mwomercs.com/...t-item-contest/

Wait.. but what happens if you use hamsters as bullets?

#9 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:53 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 22 October 2016 - 04:37 AM, said:

They acknowledged the good ones. They then ripped on the people with serious reading comprehension issues, considering "serious" was in the title and the first paragraph restated they wanted non-joke ideas. I'd have done the same. Here they are, offering to listen and incorporate player suggestions - finally, something the community always wants - and the community goes full derp on them. Worth a good laugh.

I think you're suffering from selective memory. They ignored a bunch of the most popular ones. That's why the community was upset with them. Instead of looking at all the popular, serious suggestions, they randomly picked two or three of them and then spent most of the time laughing or being visibly irritated by the selection of bad ideas... which they themselves picked out of the suggestion box. It's like collective punishment because some people didn't make good contributions. Moronic.

#10 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:07 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 22 October 2016 - 04:53 AM, said:

I think you're suffering from selective memory. They ignored a bunch of the most popular ones. That's why the community was upset with them. Instead of looking at all the popular, serious suggestions, they randomly picked two or three of them and then spent most of the time laughing or being visibly irritated by the selection of bad ideas... which they themselves picked out of the suggestion box. It's like collective punishment because some people didn't make good contributions. Moronic.

They did ignore most of the popular ones. That doesn't mean they didn't acknowledge some of them. Just not the ones that made any sense from a popularity standpoint. No matter what you say, however, they were absolutely justified, in my eyes, to mock those who refused to follow the directions.

#11 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:13 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 22 October 2016 - 05:07 AM, said:

They did ignore most of the popular ones. That doesn't mean they didn't acknowledge some of them. Just not the ones that made any sense from a popularity standpoint. No matter what you say, however, they were absolutely justified, in my eyes, to mock those who refused to follow the directions.

Of course they are justified. It's their company. They can do a vlog of Paul eating cornflakes for 5 hours if it pleases them.

The community was completely justified in losing all enthusiasm too. And the mood on the forum keeps getting worse, and has gotten considerably worse these past 6-8 months. Partially because of stuff like that.

#12 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:24 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 22 October 2016 - 03:28 AM, said:

The end result would 5 guys get a cool decal and we all get to buy medallions with pictures of their cool decals?

I'll pass.

They could do custom geometry though. 'member that?

&lt;sigh&gt;

Remember when Russ told me that no customs geometry was going to be just for the first IIC pack? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

#13 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:33 AM

View PostImperius, on 22 October 2016 - 05:24 AM, said:

Remember when Russ told me that no customs geometry was going to be just for the first IIC pack? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

He said that? That's funny.

Meh, it's their loss. No custom geometry is one of the things that made it really easy for me to pass on all the mech packs.

$20 Collector package as just a camo pattern and a c-bill bonus? lolnope thx

#14 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:44 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 22 October 2016 - 04:51 AM, said:

Wait.. but what happens if you use hamsters as bullets?

You win the Internet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users