- - - - -

Can You Get Johnny Five Achievement In Invasion Game?

29 replies to this topic

#21 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:52 PM

Does this count?

P.S. Close games are the best. My teammate was out of ammo.

Posted Image

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 26 November 2016 - 04:53 PM.

#22 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:18 PM

Why yes; yes it does. So does this:
Posted Image

#23 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:42 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 26 November 2016 - 04:52 PM, said:

Does this count?

P.S. Close games are the best. My teammate was out of ammo.

Posted Image

First time? Gratz!

#24 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:24 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 26 November 2016 - 05:18 PM, said:

Why yes; yes it does. So does this:
Posted Image

Hey, leave some for others! ROFL. I had no choice, kill or die...hehe

Why are the damage and match scores so low? And it looks inter-unit.

#25 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:04 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 26 November 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

Hey, leave some for others! ROFL. I had no choice, kill or die...hehe

Why are the damage and match scores so low? And it looks inter-unit.

Match scores were from the old score system - the revamp that put in the current system also inflated the scores (not that it matters.) The low damage numbers were a product of the match - good, aggressive gameplay by both sides including a lot of focus fire and some good marksmanship. Teamwork level was high, and that always tends to produce people who get the short end quick in close-quarters combat.

I was essentially actively fighting the entire match. Because of the constant pressure by both teams, I was able to constantly harass and use my mobility to avoid focused reprisals. Looking back the entire match is a blur of combat; it's one of the most enjoyable solo games I've ever played.

#26 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:46 PM

I have something like a top 5 myself but not like yours, lol.

And you did yours in a Spider which does have the advantage of being hard to hit. The SDR-5D is perfect for a long fight. And I've found you need an energy based mech for a very long fight.

Sooooo, you seem perfect to answer a question. About Spiders. Some months ago during a 50% off light sale I bought Ravens, Jenners, and Locusts. They were cheap and gave me PT. And I bought some extra Locusts with C-Bills.

Well, I hate them. I have yet to finish their pilot trees. Even the Jenner Hero is lame now. I do some damage but almost never survive.

But I'm OK with the ACH. Maybe I'm thinking because it is man-like and I find I do better in those. A month of PT is $12.00 so the Mastery Bundle is only $17.00

And my first really good game I'd played was with a Spider Pilot as a partner, lol.

#27 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:00 PM

View PostTercieI, on 26 November 2016 - 05:42 PM, said:

First time? Gratz!

I've gotten 5 a number of times now that I started doing one thing. Living longer. I found it is not that hard to get kills if you are around at the end of the game because often one Alpha or two is a kill. But at the end of the game, everyone is pretty shot up so a kill can also save a teammate.

Honestly, I only really killed two of them. The other 3 were one or two shots kills.

#28 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:02 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 26 November 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

I have something like a top 5 myself but not like yours, lol.

And you did yours in a Spider which does have the advantage of being hard to hit. The SDR-5D is perfect for a long fight. And I've found you need an energy based mech for a very long fight.

Sooooo, you seem perfect to answer a question. About Spiders. Some months ago during a 50% off light sale I bought Ravens, Jenners, and Locusts. They were cheap and gave me PT. And I bought some extra Locusts with C-Bills.

Well, I hate them. I have yet to finish their pilot trees. Even the Jenner Hero is lame now. I do some damage but almost never survive.

But I'm OK with the ACH. Maybe I'm thinking because it is man-like and I find I do better in those. A month of PT is $12.00 so the Mastery Bundle is only $17.00

And my first really good game I'd played was with a Spider Pilot as a partner, lol.

The Arctic Cheetah is hands-down the best combat Light in the game right now. The humaniform chassis helps, as does its amazing number of hardpoints and ECM. The Spider I play as a scout-harasser with an ER Large and two Medium lasers - that match is atypical because of the perfect storm of highly focused gameplay on both sides. More often, some jerk will come running after me, often with something bigger, and I won't be able to put out that kind of score.

The Raven and Locust chassis are actually pretty decent for a Light - but they're an acquired taste. In order to really get the most out of them, especially Locusts, you have to master the Sneaky Scout style of gameplay - and that's best done with an ECM chassis that can defend itself and get around with Jump Jets. Which is exactly what the Arctic Cheetah and Spider do. If you're using a Light to stand in the middle of the team and corner poke, You're Doing It Wrong, and you should have brought a bigger 'mech with more firepower, armor, and heat sinks. In any case the Arctic Cheetah and/or Spider will teach you how to use mobility, if you pilot them right. The Raven 3L can do the same sort of things, but it's not jump-capable - most people waste it as an ER Large Laserchicken, though that build can do well (under similar conditions as the aforementioned fight.)

PS: Don't underestimate ammo-dependent builds in long fights. I ran out of SRM ammunition here, leaving me with 3 small pulse lasers for the last three enemies alive.
Spoiler

Edited by Void Angel, 26 November 2016 - 09:21 PM.

#29 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

Maybe it is just my wrist but with the Jenner's, Locusts etc, I can't seem to turn much torso wise.

I noticed your Spider was the one with ECM which I'm big on. (I was also wondering about your build). If I was a "mech designer", every Mech would have ECM. For me, it is a DUH.

In that game ith the Spider Pilot, we were in the HPG Manifold and we were down to two compared to their 5. I wish I had gotten his name but as you said, it was a blur. Went we went down to two, I looked for my one teammate. I did not know this map well and was an even worse player than I am now.

If he was not on my team I would have had a hard time finding him. He was tucked into a little nook. I went to him and I said, "let's work together". I do not think he had a Mic but he "waggled" so I figured he understood. I then told him that I do know the map so he had to lead. So he waggled again and we took off (I was in a Kit Fox with ECM) And we won.

One of the reasons I called this one of my best games is because some of our dead teammates told us so.

I wanted to work on my IS lights (and some IS Mediums) during this double XP time if I had the money I'd just buy the XP and keep the Heroes. It bothers me that it seems like I can only play a few Mechs decently and the other 70% I suck at. And I know that good players can play well in anything.

My comment on ammo-dependent builds in long fights was about Mechs that only have ammo only weapons. In the last week, I've seen two players quit and went AFK after running out of ammo, one was AC, the other LRMs.

Lately, I've found out that at the end of a game, a single SPL can make kills and a difference.

Thanks for the help!

#30 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 November 2016 - 07:35 PM

The Spider build is This One. Vanilla standard harasser. You could go really low on the head and arm armor to fit in This Build; but the extra jump jet makes a difference, and if you strip down all the armor on the off arm, you'll smoke as soon as someone touches that limb with a weapon - making it a lot harder to be sneaky, particularly once they know you're around.

The way to get good with all 'mechs is to get good with the few you find comfortable first. The skills you learn are fungible; I can deal with all but the most skilled enemy Light pilots in my Assaults, because I know Lights from a pilot's perspective. Similarly, my experiences with Assaults have informed how I drive my Heavies and Mediums - the more experience I get, the better my overall performance becomes.

As for torso twisting, that may well be a function of your wrist injury. It may help you to get a mouse with an "aim button;" a thumb button that instantly decreases mouse movement sensitivity when pressed. This would allow you to set a higher sensitivity (twisting your torso with less actual movement of your hand,) and then hit the button when fine tuning your aim. Of course, in any case you need to let the hand heal so that you can use it without causing further damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users