Halloween Sale 40% Off Steam Performance Packs

62 replies to this topic

#21 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:25 AM

Apparently 10 gigs of ram and a quad-core is now a toaster.

#22 LORD ORION

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:02 AM

I own a pack from last year. TBR-C(S) has easily been the greatest investment I ever made in this game. T1 mech with 30% c-bill boost, 'nuff said.

...BUT... PGI, you need to be told the cold hard truth.

-FP is a ghost town, if I bought another heavy pack I wouldn't be able to use it.
-You counted one of these packs as equivalent to an MC purchase for customer appreciation loyalty variants. Derp. Even on 40% sale, the light pack is the same price as as a standard mech pack. (and I know you have the ability to choose between 2 mechs, because you've done it before in events... you could easily do that for implementing a choice between IS or Clam loyalty variant)

So exactly why the hell would I buy one from you?

You've gone full ****** again.

#23 BlackW1nd

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:15 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 29 October 2016 - 08:25 AM, said:

Actually, this game doesn't need a lot of RAM or high-end CPU, while is pretty heavy on video card. So, there is your problem.

#24 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:33 AM

View PostLORD ORION, on 29 October 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

I own a pack from last year. TBR-C(S) has easily been the greatest investment I ever made in this game. T1 mech with 30% c-bill boost, 'nuff said.

...BUT... PGI, you need to be told the cold hard truth.

-FP is a ghost town, if I bought another heavy pack I wouldn't be able to use it.
-You counted one of these packs as equivalent to an MC purchase for customer appreciation loyalty variants. Derp. Even on 40% sale, the light pack is the same price as as a standard mech pack. (and I know you have the ability to choose between 2 mechs, because you've done it before in events... you could easily do that for implementing a choice between IS or Clam loyalty variant)

So exactly why the hell would I buy one from you?

You've gone full ****** again.

There doesn't seem much logic to that as the two products are very different. You're basically getting two good mechs with 30% c-bills that are well prefitted so you won't lose out on fielding them unlike an awful lot of the +30% heroes/pack etc which are distinctly weak (e.g. would you really use a Kodiak 1(S) to generate c-bills or the much better 3 which has no bonus?). On top of that you get useful items like premium time, c-bills and mc unlike the decals etc you now get on mech packs. Then the vanity of the popular Phranken scheme on two good chassis. I'm picking up a couple of the packs just to replace my non c-bill versions as I use them regularly so win-win.

Edited by Aramuside, 29 October 2016 - 09:36 AM.

#25 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:22 AM

View PostBlackW1nd, on 29 October 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

Actually, this game doesn't need a lot of RAM or high-end CPU, while is pretty heavy on video card. So, there is your problem.

What? If you don't know what your talking about please don't post misinformation. The game is very cpu bound. It's been discussed here on the forums, on Reddit and the developers have explained it many times.

#26 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:22 AM

View PostAramuside, on 29 October 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

There doesn't seem much logic to that as the two products are very different. You're basically getting two good mechs with 30% c-bills that are well prefitted so you won't lose out on fielding them unlike an awful lot of the +30% heroes/pack etc which are distinctly weak (e.g. would you really use a Kodiak 1(S) to generate c-bills or the much better 3 which has no bonus?). On top of that you get useful items like premium time, c-bills and mc unlike the decals etc you now get on mech packs. Then the vanity of the popular Phranken scheme on two good chassis. I'm picking up a couple of the packs just to replace my non c-bill versions as I use them regularly so win-win.

It's easy, if you spend $20, you should get an IS or Clan loyalty variant. To suggest otherwise is illogical Mr not-Spock.
Regardless, I like battletech and despite PGI being one of the worst companies on the planet, I regularly point out when PGI is being dumb and losing my money in hopes to curb that BS.

Edited by LORD ORION, 29 October 2016 - 10:23 AM.

#27 ZortPointNarf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:55 AM

Just picked these up, quite a big purchase. Hope PGI will include acquiring these packs (DLC) in the trick or treat event or in the loyalty rewards for next year. Stacking events and sales like that can be a big driver to motivate players to take the plunge.

#28 Dorci

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 47 posts
  • LocationLow Signal (Hungary)

Posted 29 October 2016 - 11:18 AM

Greeeat, more 11 yo COD players coming from steam... Saw too many of them today...

#29 NAMUK

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 11:58 AM

never had a performance or lag drop on steam but i am running a 980/4930k also have a wired 200gb connection.

Edited by NAMUK, 29 October 2016 - 12:04 PM.

#30 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:43 PM

View PostAramuside, on 29 October 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

would you really use a Kodiak 1(S) to generate c-bills or the much better 3 which has no bonus?).

I myself do use my Kodiak 1(S) over my 3 at times. If I'm in a dakka bear mood I'll use one of my 3s. If I'm in a splat bear mood its the spirit bear with all its SRMs. If I'm feeling like a flying bear it's the 2, and if the mood is energy weapons its the 1(S). The regular 1, the 4 and the 5 see the least usage.

Edited by Dee Eight, 29 October 2016 - 05:48 PM.

#31 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:48 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 29 October 2016 - 05:43 PM, said:

I myself do use my Kodiak 1(S) over my 3 at times. If I'm in a dakka bear mood I'll use one of my 3s. If I'm in a splat bear mood its the spirit bear with all its SRMs. If I'm feeling like a flying bear it's the 2, and if the mood is energy weapons its the 1(S). The regular 1, the 4 and the 5 see the least usage.

Point taken as I do run all mine "occasionally". The Spirit Bear as its a brutally effective brawler (MASC, SRM24, LB20X) but the 1S just doesn't seem to have any strengths beyond the ability to get a lot of assists without wasting ammo (but that's a factor shared by all laser boats). The 3 however will always get a lot of damage, kills, kmdd, saviour kills etc etc etc and run up a lot of rewards so if I'm personally after c-bills (and want to run an assault) I'd still not pick the 1S.

#32 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 02:19 AM

View PostBlackW1nd, on 29 October 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

Lmao what the ****

Complete bollocks

#33 Krucilatoz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 28 October 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

The only downside to installing steam is how slow the connection is to their servers when D/L the mwo files compared to the PGI servers for their direct app version. I'm seeing about 4Mb/s from steam vs the 20Mb/s I get from PGI. Still, at the discount and regional pricing they're now a very good value for the content (to someone who owns most of the chassis types already... no need to buy extras to skill them out, and in a few of the cases I own the basic versions of the same mechs already in a mastered state, so I have the option to simply rebuild these (S) versions as I have the non (S) ones already, and then sell the non (S) ones to free up bays and pocket extra c-bills. Also I haven't bought any of the phracken colors during the halloween sale already and don't own any of them yet.

Please do not assume that everyone coming from NA. PGI decision to pack MWO into Steam benefit greatly for global player, since Steam have distributed game-update server. My download to MWO original update server was 1 MBps, and steam is on 20 MBps (can be faster on better ISP)

On to topic, I agree that this should the default price for those performance pack.

#34 thraadash

• Pip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:09 PM

From what I read before they took down the post, it seems these packs will not count towards the 2017 loyalty awards.

Something about how Steam registers the pack purchases or some BS.

Oh well, then I save a bunch from not buying them which I'll probably spend on new mechs coming out.

#35 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:19 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 29 October 2016 - 08:25 AM, said:

I was just poknig fun at you, mate.
Although, my toaster has moar ram and an octa-core.

ITT: No information about the content of the new steam-packs? Really PGI?
(if i get no information before the end of the sale, i will very likely not take on the current offer.. and i am also very likely not the only one following this tactic)

Edited by Kunato Developments, 31 October 2016 - 04:26 AM.

#36 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:09 AM

Let me kill this convo about the specs with my personal experience.

This is the only game I have time for at the moment so I am not sure about other games.

I started playing this game with a QX6700 extreme which had to be o/c'ed from 2.6ghz to 3.4ghz (that made a good difference). Graphics wise, for this game I've always had a AMD 6950, flashed to 6970, default = 800mhz (which was useless), now o/ced to 950mhz (very nice !).

My PC was getting around 30-50 but dropped badly when the action started. The remade maps made things worse of course so I upgraded the base system and kept the graphics card... WOW.

Skylake i7 o/c'ed to 4.6ghz and it was silk smooth (not for the remade maps but still a major difference). FYI I'll upgrade the graphics sometime later but for now, there's no real need.

-----

I bought the Timber pack through the store but if this steam pack came out before then, I would have got the Timber-C for sure !
I have made a killer Timber prime setup but I really wanted the -C at 30%
SCR is very tempting too.

I really hope they let us VOTE for the new performance packs but I cannot refuse they've picked great mechs at that time.

#37 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:35 AM

View PostKaptain, on 29 October 2016 - 10:22 AM, said:

What? If you don't know what your talking about please don't post misinformation. The game is very cpu bound. It's been discussed here on the forums, on Reddit and the developers have explained it many times.

If you are running the 64bit client you need more than 4GB of RAM, but yes CPU will make the biggest difference and Intel CPUs work better for MWO. Also, if you want to turn up all the particle effects you will need a pretty decent GPU unless you want FPS drops in heavy firefights.

#38 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 439 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:59 AM

0 players in FW

#39 Willothius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 187 posts
  • LocationThe Great Mechbay In The Sky.

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:21 AM

View PostRebel Ace Fryslan, on 31 October 2016 - 07:59 AM, said:

0 players in FW

How can you be sure, unless you are in FW?
How can there be 0 players in FW, if you are in FW?

Quid pro ergo ipso quo facto, pvnc.

#40 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:30 AM

View Postthraadash, on 30 October 2016 - 11:09 PM, said:

From what I read before they took down the post, it seems these packs will not count towards the 2017 loyalty awards.

Something about how Steam registers the pack purchases or some BS.

Oh well, then I save a bunch from not buying them which I'll probably spend on new mechs coming out.

Most players do not care what their purchases qualify for the following year until they announce what the rewards will be and then they're running like a herd of gazelles the moment the lion appears to have noticed them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users