Assassin Without Ams?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

I was on the pre order page and noticed the assassin has no AMS listing anywhere. this intentional or just an oversight?

yes, yes... also preemptive "gitgud"/"use ecm/cover/radar derp" reply as some people do use ams.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:13 PM

its ok, i never use it myself. to avoid lerms, stick to cover and kill the boats, not necessarily in that order if you get my drift.

#3 Burke IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:24 PM

Its really fast, doesnt need ams. How fast does 40t go with a 380 anyway? and what part of that cockpit do you see out of? Looks like a LAM to me.

#4 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:32 PM

View PostBurke IV, on 05 November 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

Its really fast, doesnt need ams. How fast does 40t go with a 380 anyway?

As fast as a locust with a max 190 engine, so like 168. It's also a 27t engine, so you won't have much room left for the rest of the mech.

#5 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

You want AMS if you don't want to be wrecked by Streaks.

It's either an oversight, or there's a secret nerf to Streaks that's coming (probably not, but Skillmechs rejoice!)

#6 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:59 PM

Or its just one of many mechs in the lore where they never fitted a variant with AMS.

#7 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:21 PM

I used AMS alot! on lights and mediums in the beginning. Until I got tipsed about that fast mechs (ca above 90-100+ km/h) really dosent need AMS at all unless using them to protect bigger buddies from missiles. You will get in cover in such a speed before the missiles have a chance to do much.

#8 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:28 PM

View PostBandilly, on 05 November 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

As fast as a locust with a max 190 engine, so like 168. It's also a 27t engine, so you won't have much room left for the rest of the mech.

Who needs weapons when you have the Speed Force on your side?

Posted Image

#9 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:49 PM

View PostBombast, on 05 November 2016 - 06:28 PM, said:

Who needs weapons when you have the Speed Force on your side?

We're talking 3 tons of free space for weapons if you have a 380XL, ES, FF, max armor, and no jump jets. If you want more than 3 tons of weapons the only thing you can strip is armor.

#10 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:30 AM

Nothing wrong with 3xML provided you can avoid being hit.

#11 Belacose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 539 posts
  • LocationArlington Texas

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:51 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 05 November 2016 - 02:56 PM, said:

It's either an oversight, or there's a secret nerf to Streaks that's coming (probably not, but Skillmechs rejoice!)

Spent quite a while in the Testing Grounds with my friends testing the usefulness of AMS, and AMS barely inhibited STREAKS at all. Was more useful Vs LRM. Even having two AMS on his Jester with complimentary modules didn't hinder STREAKS that much.

#12 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:55 AM

View PostBandilly, on 05 November 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

We're talking 3 tons of free space for weapons if you have a 380XL, ES, FF, max armor, and no jump jets. If you want more than 3 tons of weapons the only thing you can strip is armor.

Or go slower

#13 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:02 AM

View PostDogstar, on 06 November 2016 - 02:30 AM, said:

Nothing wrong with 3xML provided you can avoid being hit.

True. If you put those 3xML in the ASN-101 (two in ST's, one in arm) strip a bit of armour from head and the empty arm and you can fit a jumpjet too. But you'd only have to down th XL-365 to save three tons and put in 7xJJ. That sounds like a fun Super Spider.

As far as AMS hardpoint. I tend to be an AMS heavy user in general, but this is one of those 'mechs where I don't miss it. You have limited tonnage, and probably a play style where both speed and hitting power are great priorities, so I'd put everything towards that.

Not sure how PGI's balancing algorithm/spreadsheet/dartboard works, but did they give it more weapon hardpoint inflation for lacking AMS? If so, who wouldn't take the weapon hardpoint?

#14 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:11 AM

View PostBelacose, on 06 November 2016 - 02:51 AM, said:

Spent quite a while in the Testing Grounds with my friends testing the usefulness of AMS, and AMS barely inhibited STREAKS at all. Was more useful Vs LRM. Even having two AMS on his Jester with complimentary modules didn't hinder STREAKS that much.

Agreed, AMS used to be useful against streaks, back before clan was a thing in game, because there were just streak 2's, and even with two hit points per missile AMS could impair it's performance, that was why the Kintaro made a useful Streak Boat, and when the first complaints were made against streaks, and the spread was changed.

Since the addition of S-SRM 4 and 6, AMS against short range missiles is virtually useless

#15 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:04 AM

View PostAlex Morgaine, on 05 November 2016 - 02:12 PM, said:

I was on the pre order page and noticed the assassin has no AMS listing anywhere. this intentional or just an oversight?

yes, yes... also preemptive "gitgud"/"use ecm/cover/radar derp" reply as some people do use ams.

I think i found your missing ams...

Posted Image

#16 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:14 AM

a Radar Dep.Module is better as AMS...with the new skillsystem seeing which Way PGI going with Modules and skills

#17 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:15 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 05 November 2016 - 02:56 PM, said:

View PostBelacose, on 06 November 2016 - 02:51 AM, said:

Rising Storm spent an entire practice during the days of Streaknado in MRBC drop 1 testing AMS. Even with an entire team equipping it, it made minimal difference. AMS is, simply, waste tonnage once you know how to avoid LRMs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users