- - - - -

First Battles

20 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt Grunt

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:22 PM

So my first battles I'm thrown into matches that will have veterans with fully researched mechs of any type? Sounds kinda harsh if so and much worse than other PVP like WOT and least there are different tiers there and only seal clubbers hang out where new players learn the game.

Please tell me it aint so, I have played a few battles and I can't learn much when I get killed so easy and watch other players play in "spectator" mode with so much better mechs than the new players have and so much more experience playing. So I'm suppose to learn the game running and hiding and maybe get a few shots off before I'm toast?

Pass If so, I know you vets need us cannon fodders to enjoy your game but I don't think so.

#2 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:38 PM

You should face Tier 4/5 players. You start at Tier 4 and Tier 5 is lower but actually has better players.

#3 kyfire

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:42 PM

Frist off, Welcome to MWO!
In Quick Play, also know as just QP, you will be matched with players no more that 2 tiers from your tier. Your starting tier will be determined by how well you do in the Academy. Yes, you will have some experienced mech pilots with fully mastered mechs.
Best advice is to stay with the group. And the trial mechs are quite capable of doing good, I've had 500 to 900 damage matches in a trial Shadow Cat.

#4 Spangle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland, UK

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:28 PM

As mentioned do the academy first

#5 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:15 PM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 05 November 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

You should face Tier 4/5 players. You start at Tier 4 and Tier 5 is lower but actually has better players.

This is false. Everyone starts at T5 now, not 4 as previously and Tier 5 players can face Tier 3-5 in solo queue (group queue is much more open and less clear).

OP: Yes, sorry, the NPE around here is fairly brutal, though enough of the trial mechs are good now that it's not as bad as it was. Do the tutorial, play around with it and in testing grounds and then try more matches. And ask a lot of questions. The NP section of the forums is the friendliest and most useful section of the forums and many of us will be happy to answer whatever questions you may have.

Welcome to MWO and good luck!

#6 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:34 PM

Whilest it is true, I am Tier three, and thus could be hunting you in a match, odds are you'll not hafta worry. The game'll try and grab tier five players first, and then open upto tier four. Also, the reason I'm in tier three is because I don't play quick play much, preferring Community Warfare.

So yes, you could be playing with some real vets, but odds are it's others learning the game, or folk who've played awhile but haven't grasped the game and so haven't moved up.

The game does have a steep learning curve, so yeah, it will be a bit rough at first. And one thing to realize is, at best, half the mechs every match won't make it. At best. Odds are only a handful will survive. Don't bemoan dying, so long as you got to help your team win.

And if you need further advice, check the little button on your bottom right, near the LFG button. I've sent a friend invite. If I see you in game, I'll be more'n happy to drop with ya and give some pointers.

~Leone

#7 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:34 PM

Hi there and welcome to MWO! As previously mentioned, do the academy first. It will gain you some experience and also get you some c-bills, with which you can eventually buy your own mech. When you want to spend those hard-earned c-bills, come here first and we can help you make a decision. We love helping new players here, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Hope to see you on the battlefield.

Edited by mailin, 05 November 2016 - 04:34 PM.

#8 Sgt Grunt

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:08 PM

Thanks all, I will stick it out and stay in a group when I play. I use to play when It was a board game in the late 80's with cool figurines. I have stayed away because of a weak computer and I just got a decent computer that can run it on 35 fps a few months ago and I thought to try it out. Game runs smooth enough. My play style is Archer, Rifleman as I like long range weapons. I just wish I knew ahead of time on the one day of premium we got for a new account as I lost most of it to training and sleep and reading about the game.

At least I started when black Friday sales is in the near future so I can get good deal. I really like the WarHammer Mech , what do you all think about that.

Edited by Bonnie Parker, 05 November 2016 - 05:24 PM.

#9 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:25 PM

Don't worry. The premium time won't affect your cadet bonus and are reasonably freely given during events. Eventually when andid you start buying mech packs you'll start accumulating months of these. Besides, you won't REALLY feel is til you start getting your own mechs and trying to get first win of the day for them

#10 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:33 PM

Advice: lower your ingame mouse sensitivity! The default is set all the way to the right, and is near unplayable for most players at that setting.

Everyones sensitivity will vary, i personally run 0.16 ~ 0.18 which is far far far left.

Once you find the setting that fits well with you; I am sure you will start to dominate.

This game is slow, so accuracy is very important in this game.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:53 PM

So they don't start in tier 5? Huh. Interesting.

Welcome to MWO.

View PostBonnie Parker, on 05 November 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

Thanks all, I will stick it out and stay in a group when I play. I use to play when It was a board game in the late 80's with cool figurines. I have stayed away because of a weak computer and I just got a decent computer that can run it on 35 fps a few months ago and I thought to try it out. Game runs smooth enough. My play style is Archer, Rifleman as I like long range weapons. I just wish I knew ahead of time on the one day of premium we got for a new account as I lost most of it to training and sleep and reading about the game.

At least I started when black Friday sales is in the near future so I can get good deal. I really like the WarHammer Mech , what do you all think about that.

They used to require you to go to a specific thing to get that 1 day free premium time (and a way to get another day hidden elsewhere on the site that we used to happily point new players to), and as such the premium time couldn't be accidentally wasted like that.

Archer gameplay in my first time using one.

Several LRM launchers of varying size and twin SRM-2 launchers. I am playing with throttle decay off (so I can set my speed to whatever I want) and armlock off (so I can control the arms either with or entirely separate from the torso). I have the SRMs in the arms for maximum versatility.

I have a Rifleman but have not made any videos using one just yet. (Not for a lack of trying, but finding time with a newborn is difficult; especially with a new job that now consumes a minimum of 42 hours a week, all over nights).

I acquired a Warhammer today. I found myself a bit less than impressed (as the current owner of now 213 mechs), however part of my issue is I managed to make a build that didn't have any LRM ammo for my LRM-20. So I am certain that has given a negative propensity to my first run impression. Will try it out some more soon. Its hard points does offer some good potential. I also imagine if I stuck to a standard engine I'd have a better experience with something as large as the Warhammer.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:00 PM

Far as "research", blah blah... (I'm not a fan of the 'skill' system).... Unlock Heat Containment and Cool Run immediately, and you'll be enough of a match against any tier 4 or 5 player standing toe to toe on otherwise equal ground, even if they have better "skill" unlocks. The rest is just turning, twisting and accelerating/decelerating speeds, and faster shooting under elites (which leads to more heat problems and more shutdowns).

If an enemy seems to be getting the upper hand, don't be afraid to go for the cheap leg shots. If they twist too much and you were going for the center torso anyway, shoot the groin. If they seem "really" experienced, I would say go for the cockpit as most experience players bring that down to nearly nil, but finding those is actually pretty difficult. Go for the leg and then stay behind them (unless it's a Hunchback, Urbanmech, or Jenner... in which case go for the leg and back off until you can get a little help; especially in the case of Hunchbacks... Any of these three can twist enough to be terrifying if they really know what they are doing, and a Hunchback [4G, 4H or 4P] can easily one shot any mech if you're careless enough to be stationary by going for the cockpit... combine with the torso twist on a 4G and holy ****... They can practically shoot behind themselves).

Good luck.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:19 AM

View Postkyfire, on 05 November 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

our starting tier will be determined by how well you do in the Academy.

no, the starting tier has nothing to do with the Academy.
you start in tier 5, and the first 25 matches where you recieve the "cadet bonus" (worth 12 million cbills on top of match earnings) have a much higher multiplier than later matches, this is designed so if an "elite" player creates a new account it places him/her in the correct tier.

all the academy does is basic tutorial stuff and give you 5 million cbills.
after the first 25 games and the academy you should have at least 18 million cbills, enough to buy and outfit pretty much any Mech, possibly 2-3 less expensive Mechs, just bear in mind there are hidden costs you may need to pay to get the Mech to the point where it is combat ready.
e.g. outfitting a 1.5 million cbill locust will cost 4 million to outfit for double heat sinks, endo steel internals, fero fibrus armor and the largest xl engine (in a Mech like the locust speed is your armor, so going fast is important) to get to something like this for a total battle ready price of 6-7 million)
I am in no way advocating a Locust for a first Mech as that would very much be hard mode, also I really hate the cockpit on that Mech.

#14 Sgt Grunt

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:47 AM

Buying skills is very confusing is there a link to learn it like skills 101? Also is exp points in trial mechs worthless as you can't use them on normal mechs?

Edited by Bonnie Parker, 06 November 2016 - 08:49 AM.

#15 Spangle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland, UK

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:35 AM

View PostBonnie Parker, on 06 November 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

Buying skills is very confusing is there a link to learn it like skills 101? Also is exp points in trial mechs worthless as you can't use them on normal mechs?

Sure one of the vetrans will point you to a post on the skills explanation thou I think PGI has a change up its sleeve soon

But XP stays with you for that Mech so if you buy that chassis you have XP for it already

edit: Spelling

Edited by Spangle, 06 November 2016 - 09:35 AM.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:46 AM

View PostBonnie Parker, on 06 November 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

Picture's dated, but it's literally the same thing...

View PostKoniving, on 02 October 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

Updated: Tuesday December 31st, 2013.
(Snipped)
---------------

Q: What's the difference between XP and GXP?
A: XP is mech variant specific. It applies to unlocks for your mech here.
Posted Image

GXP is general experience, and while it can be used (read: wasted) on unlocking skills for your mech faster, it is better to use them under "Pilot Trees" to unlock modules which are far more valuable.

------------------
(Snipped)

The rest is just click what you want, choose "XP", and you're done. Return as you get more XP.
(This example uses the Hunchback:
To get elites, you need 3 unique variants (4P, 4G, 4H) of the same chassis (HBK)
To get master, you can use any 3 variants of any chassis (including the same chassis or 3 unique chassis) which have passed elite, and are in the same weight class (light, medium, heavy, assault).

Quote from short question, short answer thread pinned at the top of the new player section, second post.
I advise all new players read it, as pretty much all the information still applies.

Side note: Pinpoint is 100% useless and non-functional, but it is still required to unlock 'master'.

#17 Sgt Grunt

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:18 AM

Aren't they removing modules soon? So don't spend any xp's there?

Is there any defense against Lrm and or Srm? If so what kinda mechs should mount and use them? Besides other LRM boats like the Stalker.

Ok some research and an AMS is needed to defend missiles my ? is are they auto controlled or do we need to hit a key?

Edited by Bonnie Parker, 06 November 2016 - 11:58 AM.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:30 PM

View PostBonnie Parker, on 06 November 2016 - 11:18 AM, said:

Aren't they removing modules soon? So don't spend any xp's there?

Is there any defense against Lrm and or Srm? If so what kinda mechs should mount and use them? Besides other LRM boats like the Stalker.

Ok some research and an AMS is needed to defend missiles my ? is are they auto controlled or do we need to hit a key?

Removing? No. Modifying and adding some? Yes.

If you mean changing the skill tree... supposedly yes, but not until December. In the past they have given 'resets' on what you've spent (back when they did huge economic changes in closed beta, they would literally refund all your MC and Cbills to respend however you like and would likely do the same here). I believe they did this a minimum of 7 times in the first year.

I would buy the skills in the "Mech Tree" regardless.

Honestly I think they will just change the values, rename pinpoint and change its function...

Or if it really is worth having waited 4 years for, then maybe they will do what they originally said they would and allow us to make choices between this tweak OR that tweak rather than getting both, and allowing us to redo that skill tree per 'copy' of the same variant as mech tweaks rather than 'skills'.
I mean seriously what kind of skill is "accelerate faster"? It's likely a Myomer muscular structure change or an engine modification.

http://mwomercs.com/...e-warfare-cont/
I've noticed they deleted the original posted images...
The first image depicts that tier 1 would be a series of choices..
Better acceleration OR better braking.
Better twisting radius or better twisting speed.
Better this or better that... basically.
Complete tier 1, get a cosmetic item.
Then tier 2 was more linear, but with all of tier 2, tier 1 would double.

Edited by Koniving, 06 November 2016 - 12:43 PM.

#19 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:04 AM

What is funny Tier 5 pilots are superior to Tier 4 pilots.

#20 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:55 PM

View PostTercieI, on 05 November 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

This is false. Everyone starts at T5 now, not 4 as previously and Tier 5 players can face Tier 3-5 in solo queue (group queue is much more open and less clear).

OP: Yes, sorry, the NPE around here is fairly brutal, though enough of the trial mechs are good now that it's not as bad as it was. Do the tutorial, play around with it and in testing grounds and then try more matches. And ask a lot of questions. The NP section of the forums is the friendliest and most useful section of the forums and many of us will be happy to answer whatever questions you may have.

Welcome to MWO and good luck!

Wow, I'm glad you added this. I know I suck but for a minute i was thinking OMG, i went DOWN to Tier 5!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users