View PostVirlutris, on 12 November 2016 - 08:01 AM, said:

1) free is free

Free mech is great, go grab it.

#22 Jin Quiet

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:54 AM

And here I am again. Life works in strange ways and who would have thought that the tables would turn so much.

I was thinking a lot about my first 'mech and I guess it was really strange to get what I bought after all, since after considering a whole bunch of clan tech choices I went IS way and got myself a Blackjack. Yep... :]

Right now I'm piloting 2 variants of that chassis. BJ-3 and BJ-1X and it feels like my mechwarrior skills are coming back. My kills to deaths ratio went from something abysmal to 1,29 (4.43 on my BJ-1X) and winrate went somewhat up so life is kind of getting better all around.

People here suggested many things and I'm really grateful but I went my own way and it's a good one.

==================================
Here is the question I wanted to ask you guys.

How does one approach Community Warfare? I looked it up tried to read on it and it looks kind of strange and intimidating. And my mechbays hold only 2 mechs total. Is it really worth it? What if I become a member of a faction and then want to leave it? There are so many questions really. Maybe you'll give some suggestions on reading about community warfare, joining mech units and all the other stuff about it, keeping in mind that I'm I kind of loner and introvert.

Edited by Jin Quiet, 20 November 2016 - 05:55 AM.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:55 AM

I often forget how well a simple Blackjack can do in new player hands, as I'm also considering the new player solutions that allow the maximum amount of funds left over. BJs practically require an XL engine which puts a hampering on that.

This said it sounds like you're doing well. Both BJs you mentioned are energy dependent, making them easier and cheaper to run.

--------

You have 4 mechbays to start, so you probably have 2 full and 2 empty.
You need to have 4 mechs (can include the trial mechs) to participate in Warfare's main game mode, which puts a total of 92 mechs against each other in waves for a set of pretty basic objectives or a counter attack. Must weight a minimum of 160 tons, and a maximum of 250-260 tons?

The other game mode requires 1 mech of 20 to 55 tons and is geared toward speed, though firepower can triumph in the right conditions. It's called "Scouting" and it's basically a easter egg hunt where the attacking team has to escape after.

#24 s o l i t u d e

• PipPip
  • WC 2017 Gold Champ
  • WC 2017 Gold Champ
  • 22 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Warp

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:28 PM

Pick up a Timber Wolf. They are fast, agile, and can be built in many different ways!

#25 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:43 AM

View Posts o l i t u d e, on 20 November 2016 - 10:28 PM, said:

Pick up a Timber Wolf. They are fast, agile, and can be built in many different ways!

And teach too many bad habits, they tech you to rely on the Mech, rather than your own skills.

#26 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:03 AM

View Posts o l i t u d e, on 20 November 2016 - 10:28 PM, said:

Timbers are clan mechs... DO NOT PICK UP A TIMBER if you want to play CW. Find a solid set of IS mechs you can get down with.

I would first recommend getting a third BJ so you can master the in game skills, which will allow you better stats and more modules (once you can afford them). After that, if you end up selling off your least favorite, no harm done. Alternatively, you could run 3 BJs and 1 80t - 85t Assault as a drop deck. Not going to say it's a meta deck, but when just starting it might fit what you can afford.

#27 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

There are people still playing community warfare?

#28 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:45 PM

How about I add a second opinion to my first early in the thread.

With the event now running, if any new players are reading this for advice, consider the Hunchback, as a free HERO version awaits you if you've been playing the last 4-5 days and continue for the next 10.

A Free HERO Hunchback called Grid Iron.

It used to be the bomb, when quirked, was toned down, but still rather fun as is.

Go with Hunchbacks if your new as of this week.

Enjoi

#29 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:57 PM

Hunchback and Centurion for IS. You cannot ever go wrong with these two mechs. These two were my very first chassis.

View PostBlind Baku, on 21 November 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

Timbers are clan mechs... DO NOT PICK UP A TIMBER if you want to play CW. Find a solid set of IS mechs you can get down with.

I would first recommend getting a third BJ so you can master the in game skills, which will allow you better stats and more modules (once you can afford them). After that, if you end up selling off your least favorite, no harm done. Alternatively, you could run 3 BJs and 1 80t - 85t Assault as a drop deck. Not going to say it's a meta deck, but when just starting it might fit what you can afford.

I like to know why you would object against a Timberwolf for CW. Isn't it one of the best mechs with the best possible loadout combinations combined with relatively high mobility for a heavy?

Edited by ZeProme, 22 November 2016 - 08:04 PM.

#30 Quintus Verus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

Please ignore Metamech site and experiment on your own.

Hunchbacks are a solid 1st chassis.

#31 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostZeProme, on 22 November 2016 - 07:57 PM, said:

Hunchback and Centurion for IS. You cannot ever go wrong with these two mechs. These two were my very first chassis.

I like to know why you would object against a Timberwolf for CW. Isn't it one of the best mechs with the best possible loadout combinations combined with relatively high mobility for a heavy?

Timbers are great mech... IF you have a clan drop deck. I believe OP has invested in IS mechs at this time, so puck up a timber or 2 would not be compatible with the rest of his mech stable. The IS heavy I think most people would point to as a competitive equivalent would probably more like a Warhammer or Marauder, which are pretty solid.

#32 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:04 AM

For a first mech I something with jump jets. It's also important to have something that can do a bunch of different builds well.

Finally, start off by trying builds and mechs that are competitive. It's important to figure out during the frustrations of the early day whether what s holding you back is you or the mech.

That said I would NOT recommend either the centurion or the normal hunchback. Both are so compromised and ineffective they are not good if you are new.

Also don't worry too much about CW drop decks. Just use the trial mechs. Use your first mech to learn how to play well, then you can figure out what you want to do next.

#33 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:29 AM

View PostJin Quiet, on 20 November 2016 - 05:54 AM, said:

BJ-3 and BJ-1X and it feels like my mechwarrior skills are coming back. My kills to deaths ratio went from something abysmal to 1,29 (4.43 on my BJ-1X) and winrate went somewhat up so life is kind of getting better all around.

How does one approach Community Warfare? I looked it up tried to read on it and it looks kind of strange and intimidating. And my mechbays hold only 2 mechs total. Is it really worth it? What if I become a member of a faction and then want to leave it? There are so many questions really. Maybe you'll give some suggestions on reading about community warfare, joining mech units and all the other stuff about it, keeping in mind that I'm I kind of loner and introvert.

Good job on using Blackjacks! You should try the BJ-1 with 2xAC2 & 4xML. It`s the best mech for AC2s in the entire game! You will be able to unlock elite and master skills for all the Blackjacks.

Now go to this page and enter code NCIXMECH to get your free Centurion (with 30% c-bill boost). Comes with 1 free mechbay.

Every new player gets 4 free mechbays, and quickly runs out of space for new mechs. If you enjoy MWO, and want to play it for a while you need more mechbays.

Right now there is a MC-sale going on (20% bonus MC from all MC packs!). You can buy 3600 MC for $14.95 (600 extra MC). Then, on cyber monday (November 28th - December 1st) there will be a machbay sale (150 MC - 50% off).

For $14.95 you will be able to get 24 mechbays. That's 62 cents per mechbay. Deals like this one only happen once a year. Regular price is 300 MC per mechbay, so only 10 mechbays for $ 14.95

I know I'll be buying 40 or 50 mechbays that will last for a whole year.

Edited by Kmieciu, 24 November 2016 - 12:31 AM.

#34 Rattler85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 275 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:25 AM

For IS lights:
Firestarter

For Clan Lights:
Arctic Cheetah or Adder

For IS Mediums:
The CRBs are great laser vomit mediums and the 27SL has jump jets. I run them with near max armor 2LL, 3ML depending on the variant. I love this little mech.

The Shadow Hawk is a bit lackluster but it can be run effectively.

For Clan medium:
The Stormcrow is a fantastic mech. I love it too.

For Clan Heavy:

Timber Wolf or Hellbringer.

The Timber Wolf can do laser vomit, missile rain and some dakka.

For IS Heavy:
Thunderbolt-a great all around mech that can do either laser or missiles or both, not much in the way of dakka for this one.

Catapult- especially the Jester. The K2 has its following

IS Assault:
Atlas

Clan Assault:
Kodiak
Dire Wolf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users