31 replies to this topic

#21 Valtica

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:31 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 07 November 2016 - 10:36 PM, said:

If you want to take a bit of a risk and don't mind spending real money, the Linebacker comes out next week and is still up for preorder. Looks like it could be suited for the kind of play you're after but like I said, it's a risk since the mech hasn't been released yet?

Now this is interesting idea, Now i need to choose between 2 not yet released mechs (Marauder IIS and the Linebacker) and Hero Timberwolf.

Looking at Linebacker stats i feel it kinda similar to ebon jaguar stats but more suited to laser configuration with high mobility.

Too bad the early adopter bonus only available for very short period of time. If it still there i might buy it without thinking.

#22 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:49 AM

If you want to take a bit of a risk and don't mind spending real money, the Linebacker comes out next week and is still up for preorder. Looks like it could be suited for the kind of play you're after but like I said, it's a risk since the mech hasn't been released yet?

clarification: pre order in this case means you can buy it with cash and get it when it releases. It does NOT mean you get the early adopter bonuses (which if you think about it, can be rather confusing for someone new... because you could still by for cash when it ships, and there is no difference.... except maybe time of injection by some hours?)

Not entirely sure why you are so set on the hellbringer... it's a good mech yes. I would argue for the uses you've described, EBJ at least is better. Neither mech is jump capable; they move at the same speed. Hellbringer has access to an ECM omnipod. But not as much in the way of long range capable hardpoints (you wont be stacking lrm 5s or gauss rifles... maybe an UAC10). Only the missile hardpoint on the torso is mounted above the cockpit. The chest mount hardpoints are relatively high, but under the cockpit, and your arm hard points are low slung. Which means you generally have to expose yourself a fair bit... not a problem if you like to brawl, but as you said brawling is a last ditch for you...

by contrast, the EBJ arm hardpoints are barely lower than cockpit (at worst, they are equivalent to torso on hellbringer). You have generous missile omnipods if you want to go that route, but most importantly, you have torso hardpoints (ballistic and energy) that are mounted above the cockpit (and also right under - with experimentation, you can figure out the order of weapons you put in a torso in the mechlab and the corresponding physical location/hardpoint it is assigned to). That makes firing from cover, around a corner, exposure time, etc MUCH more favorable. I think the hitboxes overall are better as well.

The Shadow cat is speedy, but a little more limited on hard points. Still, you can do an energy in each arm with 3 missile across the torso, or ballistic mix. It's more highly mobile, has ecm, jj, and present a smaller target than either hbr or ebj overall (although I find in pugs, a lot of shc pilots think ecm makes them invincible and expose themselves far too long, or stand in one place instead of keeping on the move - gets them killed a lot.). The hardpoints are all level with the cockpit, and actually tend to shield torsos.

SHC, EBJ and HBR are all available for cbills. So I wouldn't stress too much at the cash shop thing. Personally I think the first three tiers of clan wave 3 are excellent, but i mean. I wouldn't stress it so much. Technically any tiered pack you are interested in will have mechs you are uninterested in if you only want a medium range support mech, non assault. A la carte is prettty much never worth it. Because seriously, pay $55 usd for 1 chassis... or $60 for 2 chassis, 90/72 for 3 (9 mechs vs 3). And while the absolute cost is still a factor, come on...

I'd try trialing or just observing in matches some of the other mechs people have been recommending to get a feel. Don't be too hard set on paint bonuses over the mech content.

#23 Valtica

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:01 AM

[color=#959595]Now i just remember something regarding clan mechs.[/color]

[color=#959595]How does omnipod works? Do we can swap omnipod between the mech variants or we must buy the omnipod separately even if we have the variant that has the omnipod. [/color]

#24 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:16 AM

I wouldn't recommend that mech to a new player. It's going to be a novelty at most.

@OP: TBR, HBR and EBJ are all available for CB and are all solid. Buy one of those and see how it feels. If you're keen on cosmetics, MC will be on sale shortly and you can get what you want.

View PostEinstZecksclaw, on 08 November 2016 - 01:31 AM, said:

Now this is interesting idea, Now i need to choose between 2 not yet released mechs (Marauder IIS and the Linebacker) and Hero Timberwolf.

Looking at Linebacker stats i feel it kinda similar to ebon jaguar stats but more suited to laser configuration with high mobility.

Too bad the early adopter bonus only available for very short period of time. If it still there i might buy it without thinking.

It's more like a fat SCR than any of the heavies and to optimize it it looks like you'd need to buy all six. I'm a vet and a whale and I'm skipping it.

#25 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:12 AM

think of omnipods as any piece of equipment, like an autocannon or ammo or beagle probe. except it goes into a location (like right torso, left arm, etc.) and changes the hardpoints (maybe; also quirks, maybe) from that location.

By default, whatever variant of an omni mech you get, you have 1 of each omnipod (tbr prime left torso, tbr prime right torso, tbr prime right arm, tbr prime left arm, etc.). You can buy additional copies of those omnipods (for use on a different variant of the same chassis). You can buy omnipods from different variants (even if you do not own that variant) for use on your mech as well (Tbr prime ct + tbr A left arm, etc.).

The only thing that cannot be swapped and replaced is the ct omnipod.

#26 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:05 AM

Stormcrows are fast, powerful and forgiving. They're outclassed at specific roles by other mediums and cannot poptart at all, but they are very good at any medium role you can think of.

#27 Alreadythere

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:55 AM

Did you try the Ebon Jaguar trial mech? It's got a great ranged Setup (2*LPL + Gauss) for medium/long range, and you can test it completely free.

#28 Valtica

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:35 AM

View PostAlreadythere, on 08 November 2016 - 08:55 AM, said:

Did you try the Ebon Jaguar trial mech? It's got a great ranged Setup (2*LPL + Gauss) for medium/long range, and you can test it completely free.

I've tried it, but for some reason i have hard time aiming the gauss like the one mounted in my Dire Wolf, It seems my mouse sensitivity and the in game sensitivity differs slightly which causes me to miss my aim a lot this hasnt happened in other game so im kinda confused and im still looking for optimal sensitivity using in game options.

The mechs itself is quite nice and it suit my taste, but because it were sold in package with other mechs i wont be touching it for a while. As for buying it for c-bills im also not gonna do it because im currently saving for radar depri module and seismic sensor module and after that im still need to buy weapon module so my c-bill pretty much tied with modules spending atm.

Im now eyeing the Linebacker as it has the same weight as Ebon Jaguar with similar speed but slightly taller and bulkier profile but similar looks, but as many has said its a gamble because the mech is unreleased.

#29 Alreadythere

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:05 AM

I'd advise against the Linebacker, as it has too much tonnage locked in the engine. It only has 17.5t of pod space coupled with 14 fixed DHS.

#30 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:44 AM

View PostEinstZecksclaw, on 09 November 2016 - 01:35 AM, said:

Im now eyeing the Linebacker as it has the same weight as Ebon Jaguar with similar speed but slightly taller and bulkier profile but similar looks, but as many has said its a gamble because the mech is unreleased.

View PostAlreadythere, on 09 November 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

I'd advise against the Linebacker, as it has too much tonnage locked in the engine. It only has 17.5t of pod space coupled with 14 fixed DHS.

^This. It's more than a gamble, it's like betting on green in roulette, it's the very definition of a longshot. It would take a perfect storm of quirks and hitboxes to make it better than a stunt mech. I realize that a new player doesn't have the tools or experience to do this analysis, but veterans do and have and the hopes for this mech are very, very low. As a new player: Just don't. The TBR, EBJ and HBR are all very solid clan heavies. Pick one of those instead.

Edited by TercieI, 09 November 2016 - 09:44 AM.

#31 Valtica

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:54 PM

View PostTercieI, on 09 November 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

^This. It's more than a gamble, it's like betting on green in roulette, it's the very definition of a longshot. It would take a perfect storm of quirks and hitboxes to make it better than a stunt mech. I realize that a new player doesn't have the tools or experience to do this analysis, but veterans do and have and the hopes for this mech are very, very low. As a new player: Just don't. The TBR, EBJ and HBR are all very solid clan heavies. Pick one of those instead.

I see so its better to pick either those 3 rather than the Linebacker. If that so because those 3 were not sold as individual mech pack and need a c-bills to purchase them for each of their variant, Can you advice me which variant of each those 3 should be bought first? as buying all the variant can became a long way.

The timber wolf do have hero mech for sale but is that a good variant to buy?

#32 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:47 AM

View PostEinstZecksclaw, on 09 November 2016 - 08:54 PM, said:

I see so its better to pick either those 3 rather than the Linebacker. If that so because those 3 were not sold as individual mech pack and need a c-bills to purchase them for each of their variant, Can you advice me which variant of each those 3 should be bought first? as buying all the variant can became a long way.

The timber wolf do have hero mech for sale but is that a good variant to buy?

It's because they're better optimized with selection of engine and upgrades. The TBR (a 75-ton mech) has an XL375 that weighs 27.5 tons. The LBK (a 65-ton mech) has an XL390 that weighs 30.0 tons - 2.5 tons more, on a mech that weighs 10 tons less. It is often said that as good as the TBR is, it would be better if its engine was an XL350, which would give it an additional 5.5 tons to use...so where do you think that leaves the LBK?

The EBJ is the most comparable to the LBK (65 tons and both ES&FF). It has an XL325, which is 11 tons lighter than the LBK's XL390 and is plenty of engine for a 65-ton mech. The HBR has that same engine, but is more weight constrained because it lacks ES&FF. However, it makes up for this with the ability to mount all its guns in the torsos, allowing you to strip the arms, having ECM available in an omnipod that also has good hardpoints and having good high mounts.

For the HBR and EBJ, the variant doesn't matter aside from which omnipods you want, since all CTs are the same. The EBJ-A and HBR-Prime probably have the best pod selections to start with.

For the TBR (which I recommend as it's an excellent and flexible mech), the CTs are very different: The A/C/D are probably the best, with a CT that has an energy hardpoint. The S has a single locked JJ (this is useful because it allows 1&3 JJ builds which can't be done otherwise). The Prime has a ballistic hardpoint that is pretty useless since it's limited by only having one available slot. Warrant appears to have nothing in the CT except an open slot, but we have to wonder if quirks may come with that lack? Unless you're just dyin to spend real money, I'd buy a TBR-C for CB.

NOTE: My POV is always based on best, with no interest in lore and absolutely no concern for stock builds. Also, I've mastered every variant of all of these mechs.

Edited by TercieI, 10 November 2016 - 08:48 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users