Should Damage Done Be On The Leader Board?

56 replies to this topic

#41 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:04 PM

KMDD should be.

View PostAlistair Winter, on 07 November 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:

Didn't PGI say something about prestigious Leaderboards with monthly rewards for the top 10 at some point?

PGI own a lot of Position and they also have many Time and lots of It Was too. They often have the three at the same time.

Edited by DAYLEET, 07 November 2016 - 03:40 PM.

#42 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:13 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 07 November 2016 - 12:51 PM, said:

Games are not won that way. Its like Machiavelli, he wrote "The Prince", but it was made for peasants.

View PostDrxAbstract, on 07 November 2016 - 02:18 PM, said:

Doesn't matter how good a commander is if the grunts can't do the damage that the orders require, even if they follow them... Every 'skilled' commander knows this.

Le Sigh!

People seem to be ignoring or missing the entire point of my statement: winning is more important to the commander, not how much damage she is personally doing.

Le Sigh some more! <smh>

#43 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:16 PM

Global overview should be removed though. Its useless when it mix 4 different weight class that arent equal in anyways.

#44 DrxAbstract

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:18 PM

View PostMystere, on 07 November 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

Le Sigh!

People seem to be ignoring or missing the entire point of my statement: winning is more important to the commander, not how much damage she is personally doing.

Le Sigh some more! <smh>

Missed it... or just clarifying it...? Personal damage consideration for the entire team rather than just themselves, which yes, I get you were referring to the commander alone. But as a matter of point, it is often a complaint amongst commanders in MWO that they're so busy managing the team within the limited operational command structure of MWO that they don't get to play much themselves. I guess that depends on how well people can micro-manage.

#45 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 07 November 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

The best players don't even think.

Now you're just being silly. Posted Image

It also explains a lot.

Edited by Mystere, 07 November 2016 - 03:25 PM.

#46 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:28 PM

I think KMDD's would a more useful thing to track. Be fun to see the ratio of KMDD to Death for example, instead of merely killing blows to deaths. Seperates out all the farmers/vultures who wait for teammates to do all the heavy lifting.

#47 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 07 November 2016 - 01:37 PM, said:

Some of the points raised here would be moot if PGI just gave us more stats in general. It would be nice to see damage per kill, damage taken, etc without having to calculate or guess (in the case of damage taken). Also, split stats into QP/Group/CW.

Why is this so hard for PGI to do, when they already track the stats in question?

Unfortunately, how do you measure tactical and command ability?

How do you recognize the vanguard who planned and led the successful charge but died?

How do you reward the players who successfully flanked and distracted the enemy while the rest of the team did the killing?

#48 reflectorjones

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 85 posts
  • LocationKCMO

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:07 PM

what i want to see posted is a global team damage given at the end of each match for everyone to observe.

#49 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:31 PM

View PostMystere, on 07 November 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

Unfortunately, how do you measure tactical and command ability?

How do you recognize the vanguard who planned and led the successful charge but died?

How do you reward the players who successfully flanked and distracted the enemy while the rest of the team did the killing?

Well, as I mentioned in a later post, damage taken vs deaths would be a good start for assaults leading a charge (ie: "tanking"). Damage given vs kills would quantify how efficient someone is at killing...Gauss boats would be great in that category, LRM/SSRM boats would be at the opposite end of the efficiency spectrum.

Quantifying leadership/command is tough, unless PGI ties it to some sort of command wheel stuff. For lights squirreling and drawing people away, they'd have to institute something that tied into a friendly and enemy mech's proximity to other friendly/enemy mechs. We already have a lance in formation bonus...maybe they could tie to to a friendly mech that cause an enemy to separate from the main body by X amount of distance, so long as the friendly mech was being targeted/fired upon or something.

Yeah...pretty tough for PGI to code most likely but I'm sure there's ways to quantify it.

#50 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:37 PM

View PostCathy, on 07 November 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

We already have enough stats for insecure people to feel good about themselves, we don't need anymore Sorry, but I'd rather the dev's did things to make the game play more fun, not pointless additions that won't

Disagree. With the stats in game, I have exactly zero real feel of how good or bad a player I am. I mean I am Tier 2 and moving quickly up toward tier 1 but I have had so many games were I did something stupid, scored less than 100 points of damage and still, magically had my skill level register as going up just because my team won, that I absolutely can't trust Tier to give me any indication of my own skill level.

Then when I go to the leaderboards, we have so many sub 20 game scores clouding the real results that I can't even look at my ranking and get a good feel for where I actually am, not to mention the fact that if I don't know how many players are being ranked, I have no clue if being say ranked 3000 is in the top 10% or top 50%.

I have personally never cared about public stats or really what other players have thought of me, but I do absolutely like clear and concise stats that show very thoroughly were I stand and where I am improving or regression so I can become a better player. MWO absolutely has nothing like that and it is annoying, especially in a PvP game. I would really love to have the access to sort of stats WoWS or WoT makes available though I wish whatever rating formula they eventually came up with would leave win/loss rate out of the equation and base it on your raw stats only.

#51 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

View PostMrJeffers, on 07 November 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

No, your example still means that the team with the + is winning. Score doesn't matter.

Team A average scores 3 goals per game
Team B average scores 2 goals per game
Which one is better? Team A right?

Now:
Team A average 4 points per game to be scored against them
Team B average only allows 1 point per game to be scored against them

Team B is the better team, even though they don't score as much. Their differential scoring is also better (-1 for Team A, +1 for team B even though Team A scores twice as much.

NFL Football -
Atlanta Falcons - #1 in points per game @ 33.9 yet there are three other teams with a better record than them. And guess what it takes to get into playoffs...

W/L is the most important stat. As the saying goes, a Win is a Win.

You comparing NFL football league and MWO SOLO QUEUE OR MWO GROUP QUEU

AHAHAAHAHAHAH TY for this

#52 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:34 PM

View Postreflectorjones, on 07 November 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

what i want to see posted is a global team damage given at the end of each match for everyone to observe.

this would be great.

makes it easier to identify all those monkeys with no trigger discipline shooting teammates in the back because a cookie walked past.

#53 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:20 PM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 07 November 2016 - 03:18 PM, said:

Missed it... or just clarifying it...? Personal damage consideration for the entire team rather than just themselves, which yes, I get you were referring to the commander alone. But as a matter of point, it is often a complaint amongst commanders in MWO that they're so busy managing the team within the limited operational command structure of MWO that they don't get to play much themselves. I guess that depends on how well people can micro-manage.

There is a very good reason why I have been pleading with PGI to add a 13th player in MWO: the Mechcommander, along with all the relevant UI bells and whistles. Posted Image

#54 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:41 PM

View PostMystere, on 07 November 2016 - 09:20 PM, said:

There is a very good reason why I have been pleading with PGI to add a 13th player in MWO: the Mechcommander, along with all the relevant UI bells and whistles. Posted Image

Only if a Command Console is present...

#55 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:43 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 07 November 2016 - 09:41 PM, said:

Only if a Command Console is present...

Nah! I was literally taking about having something like this:

Edited by Mystere, 07 November 2016 - 09:46 PM.

#56 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:00 PM

View PostMystere, on 07 November 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

Reminds me of this old gem:

I still wish I could get the MechCommander games to run without glitching out on me really badly.

#57 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:42 PM

View PostMystere, on 07 November 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

Never played the Mechcommander games...RTS style, I'm guessing?

I did play these games though:

Still...I wish they'd give added utility to the command console in this game. That 13th commander slot would work well for it, though I'm not sure how they'd balance that in QP games if one side doesn't have a CC.

Knowing PGI, this is most likely insurmountable.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users