The Intuitive Classic Hud.

Cockpit HUD

13 replies to this topic

#1 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:39 AM

With talks of mech packs, equipment, mech/weapon mods, Kodiak's and streaks.
I thought I'd like to talk about something that'll add a bit more depth to gameplay.

The HUD, better yet a return to the classic HUD or something very close.

I used to play MW1 and MW2 on my old W95/98 a long time ago, the HUD I felt was an important part of the game's feel. It gave you a sense of being in a military war machine with it's jet fighter style HUD.

Until recently I've been playing MW:LL and been enjoying it's HUD(aside from glitches here or there) and the JJ feel like JJ.

MWO's HUD on the other hand is very drab, dull and only gives you the very barebone basic idea of what's happening which makes it feel empty.

I feel like MWO HUD is too streamlined and casualized.

I'd like there should be an option for an MW classic HUD as well as the MWO streamline version for those that don't understand or feel like the OG HUD has too much going on.

#2 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:41 PM

The hud could use a lot of improvements. One dev eons back said it used scale form which means it was/is cpu intensive and hard to modify. Being some one with poor eyesight I'd love to be able to scale individual elements of the hud and change things like font/color/placement. I tried to get a friend who is color blind and loves aircraft and fighter sims to play but it all looked the same so he quit.

pgi would rake in cash if they allowed us to have small things like switching huds to different mw styles or mix and match elements from across all the past mw huds for mc Many have said the same for custom sound packs. pgi just has their head so far up the ceo's butt they reject any and all ideas for customization for small profit and stick to only mech packs. And new players wonder why the game is stale. Old players have been telling pgi exactly the things we'd spend money for years and most of the things are small things such as this yet they ignore us because they know best what pgi wants for mwo and that is "it must be kept minimally viable! Buy the newest mech pack!"

#3 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:47 PM

I'd be happy just to have the option of changing the HUD opacity.

#4 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:35 PM

I'm still desperate for colorblind mode, HTAL, and rear view cameras. But I'm also worried that if PGI ever messes with the HUD or minimap again, we're going to have another minimap disaster.

Posted Image

#5 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:58 PM

The option to even resize different parts of the HUD, or adjust where parts of it are on screen would make me happy and ease these solahma eyes.

#6 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 08 November 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

I'm still desperate for colorblind mode, HTAL, and rear view cameras.

It's pretty flabbergasting that in this day and age, a computer game can get away with not having a color blind option. Hell, the 'other' free-to-play arcade war game had that option when it's graphics engine was only capable of rendering lego bricks. And not even the regular lego bricks - Those big ones they make for babies.

I mean... changing UI color is ancient. You could do it in Chrono Trigger, for the love of...

#7 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:21 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 08 November 2016 - 12:41 PM, said:

The hud could use a lot of improvements. One dev eons back said it used scale form which means it was/is cpu intensive and hard to modify. Being some one with poor eyesight I'd love to be able to scale individual elements of the hud and change things like font/color/placement. I tried to get a friend who is color blind and loves aircraft and fighter sims to play but it all looked the same so he quit. pgi would rake in cash if they allowed us to have small things like switching huds to different mw styles or mix and match elements from across all the past mw huds for mc Many have said the same for custom sound packs. pgi just has their head so far up the ceo's butt they reject any and all ideas for customization for small profit and stick to only mech packs. And new players wonder why the game is stale. Old players have been telling pgi exactly the things we'd spend money for years and most of the things are small things such as this yet they ignore us because they know best what pgi wants for mwo and that is "it must be kept minimally viable! Buy the newest mech pack!"

I never figured out why PGI didn't tap into the player modding community. It would have been great to be able to customize you HUD and things like that and would have got more people hyped about the game.

Another thing I would love to see is them to allow player created maps. So many games make use of player made models and such that I don't see why they don't tap into this especially since they apparently don't have many map designers working for them. They could open up map design to the playerbase and then have it so that the player who designed the map would submit it for approval. Then once tested and approved it would be added to the Map rotations. There shouldn't even be any legal issues if they make the players submitting the maps sign a wavier and give a "created by" credit in the start up screen. They would probably have 2-3 new maps ready to go every month if they did this and they would probably be a hell of alot more creative than what we have in game right now.

#8 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:35 PM

While HUD customizability would be nice, I don't see it as a priority. And the current HuD is more than serviceable.

#9 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:39 PM

I just want two things.

1.) Minimap zoom level to be adjustable. (Would also be nice to have the option to go back to the friendly-dorito player icons that Russler stole.. but he stole them and ain't giving them back.)

2.) Weapon line-of-sight indicators around the reticle. (MW4 had LOS indicators instead of our nearly useless reload indicators around the dot. There were empty boxes around your reticle.. when your weapon fire would hit a building or a hill top instead of what your cursor was pointing at, the boxes turned red to tell you your weapon didn't have a clear shot and would not hit the target.)

#10 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:48 PM

View PostAnTi90d, on 08 November 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

I just want two things.

1.) Minimap zoom level to be adjustable. (Would also be nice to have the option to go back to the friendly-dorito player icons that Russler stole.. but he stole them and ain't giving them back.)

2.) Weapon line-of-sight indicators around the reticle. (MW4 had LOS indicators instead of our nearly useless reload indicators around the dot. There were empty boxes around your reticle.. when your weapon fire would hit a building or a hill top instead of what your cursor was pointing at, the boxes turned red to tell you your weapon didn't have a clear shot and would not hit the target.)

Hes after our LTD modules now, he said hes taking them and not giving them back.

#11 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:14 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 08 November 2016 - 05:21 PM, said:

I never figured out why PGI didn't tap into the player modding community. It would have been great to be able to customize you HUD and things like that and would have got more people hyped about the game.

Another thing I would love to see is them to allow player created maps. So many games make use of player made models and such that I don't see why they don't tap into this especially since they apparently don't have many map designers working for them. They could open up map design to the playerbase and then have it so that the player who designed the map would submit it for approval. Then once tested and approved it would be added to the Map rotations. There shouldn't even be any legal issues if they make the players submitting the maps sign a wavier and give a "created by" credit in the start up screen. They would probably have 2-3 new maps ready to go every month if they did this and they would probably be a hell of alot more creative than what we have in game right now.

I posted quite a bit as soon as the players found out the game would have a steam version. I was expecting,as many others were hoping, that we'd finally be able to do some modding to the game while having to go through an official approval process to avoid rampant and obvious "hax" like lrm damage ramped up to the game's max of 250 per lrm or no heat on any er ppc. I was one champion small mods such as unit decals, changing laser/ui colors to see better or to get older geometry such as the K2's old thick barrels or a toggle switch for the glowing atlas eyes.

It's pretty obvious pgi simply doesn't give a bleep. After the terrible way they handled mwo wc team decals and designs we can expect to never see player made any thing for the game. We can't even get things that once were in the game and buggy/abused rampantly fixed that were removed from the game such as IK and collisions. All pgi wants is for you to buy the newest mech pack and repeat. After four years I've learned one thing about pgi and this game: Until it's in the live client game it doesn't exist.

#12 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:18 PM

HTAL is Lostech. Lostech.

#13 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:02 AM

Other than the option to select the classic HTAL bars, the HUD itself seems pretty solid to me. It conveys important information and it does it simply and easy to decipher at a glance when in combat.

Out of all the flaws this game poses, the HUD design does not seem like one of them to me.

#14 Ziogualty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:43 AM

A couple of things i would like to see impelemnted just because i "presume" it should not be so hard:

1) Every lance with his own color.
2) Chance to target friendly to see their loadout and status.
3) Chance to see in the hud the number of enemies killed (i know is visisble in half of the game modes in the top center score, but the other half is missing). It is already present (the atlas heads when you kill someone in the small monitor on every cockpit) it would be enough to highlight somehow the dead mechs killed by others.

Any other improvement will be welcome of course!

Edited by Attank, 09 November 2016 - 03:43 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users