- - - - -

Scouting Tips.

1 reply to this topic

#1 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:55 PM

I expect more will be given and I'm not sure how many players come here but it seems like some do not understand scouting.

Scouting is a 1-2 minute knife fight. As in a 90 second brawl.

A lot of people are using trial Novas and Crabs so the use of LRMs has been very low at least. NEVER bring long range weapons or LRMs to a scouting mission.

Stay together as in within 100 meters. Intel really does not matter, you win by killing the 4 of them. You lose because your team of 4 has been killed by them. Finally, PGI has stopped giving a nice price for a certain amount of intel which ruined a lot of missions.

I have been on missions where one fast mech plays run away and tries to get to the ship at the right second. And it works, but not that often and it is something you need to discuss doing.

The thing I want to ask here is about ECM and it's use.

When I have it or when someone else has it I try to ask everyone to stay under it. And it is like herding cats.

My Unit has practiced games (we call them Fox Wars) where in one scenario 3 Mechs need to use one Mech with ECM so the 4 of them can sneak past the other team.

Am I wasting time? Does this help?

#2 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:01 PM

The tactics for Scouting are constantly evolving.

My unit has tried a variety of tactics, including the last second light mech rush into the drop zone, and it seems to work. Where we meet opposition here is with the Stormcrow Streak SRM builds. In one to two volleys, a streak crow can kill a light mech. Add this to the fact that a speed tweaked streak crow will do as much as 105 kph, and it's not almost suicide to take a light at all, unless you have a map with sufficient maneuvering space like Polar Highlands.

To counter streak crows we started taking pinpoint damage medium mechs to slaughter the crows with well aimed fire ( highly effective because streak srms can't really be concentrated on any particular area of our mechs)

Clanners responded with taking UAC mechs to shred our mediums.

We switch back to lights because they can't hit us with the UACS.

You get the picture. It's an arms race, and each side will continue to evolve their own countermeasures, and you'll evolve your own countermeasure, and so on. It's up to you to study your enemies and determine how best to undermine their strengths, and strike at their weaknesses.

Think outside the box. Like you said, its a 90 second Brawl, and the winner gets the Intel and the match. In no other game mode can you GUARANTEE a 100m distance Brawl every match... so think about how you can maximize your strength at or around 100m.

This really opened our minds to builds featuring small lasers, small pulse lasers, LBXs, and pure SRMS. Even flamers are on the table (I recommend everyone taking at least two for this one to work)

Exercise your Teamwork more than anything. Nothing relies more on disciplined Teamwork than a 90 second Brawl where victory depends on getting ALL guns on target nearly immediately.

Sorry if this is a lot. I hope it helps.

Edited by Rintero Pryde, 15 November 2016 - 04:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users