18 replies to this topic

#1 Suskis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 276 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:13 PM

I've come back after some 4 years and I find this ATLAS AS7-S(L) lying in my mech bay. It would give me a +30% Cbill boost so I'd like to use it, but I am not really happy with its equipment.
Its hardpoints are also limited so I can't figure how to improve its range and effectiveness.
I thought about replacing AC/20 with a Gauss Rifle (and remove the 2 Streak SRM2).
I'd appreciate some suggestion, thanks!

#2 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:21 PM

It does't need range, it's an atlas. It's designed for tanking and close in brawling. Here is the definitive AS-7S build. You can tweak it a bit, but this build WILL winy any brawl against anything other then another AS7s.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3bbf5e482fb61c9

The amount of sheer face wrecking potential in this build can not be understated.

On a side note, don't listen to the people who say Spirit Bear is a more effective brawler, it's not. That's not to a say a good Spirit Bear pilot can' win, it's just that the AS-7s is better at brawling then the SB.

Edited by Kimberm1911, 11 November 2016 - 03:24 PM.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:21 PM

This is basically the only way to build it (borrowed from Metamechs, which is new since you last played). I don't use lasers, preferring a bit more ammo and armor (and removing the temptation to overheat myself honestly).

#4 Suskis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 276 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:58 PM

Nice, thanks! Looks like I didn't buy a total piece of junk at the time.

#5 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:07 PM

View PostSuskis, on 11 November 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

Nope, it's a beast if you get it into position. Alpha, twist left, alpha, twist right, alpha, they should be dead...

#6 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:59 PM

If you were to run into a lance of mechs while being a huge slow lumber mech who cant keep up.......this is the one you would want to be in,
to clear a room full of half armor heavies under the HPG tower, This is the mech to do it.
If you are sick of being held down by a pack of mixed brawlers while your teammates turn tail and run like sissies this is the mech that will fold them in half. walk through mechs........even kodiacs cant handle this when its in range......have dozens of KDK kills in my atlai

imagine using RPG as a fly swatter, have you ever seen a 81.6 damage alpha hit ANY light mech LOLOLOLOLOL blows both legs off..............if it doesnt crit the places where armor used to be.

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 11 November 2016 - 05:02 PM.

#7 Suskis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 276 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:38 AM

Would you replace the Medium Lasers with an AMS? Being a slow mech I fear some heavy LRM rain. Having an AMS hardpoint I am thinking about it...

#8 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:49 AM

View PostSuskis, on 11 November 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

Its a great brawler, but you didn't buy it.
PGI gave it to you as a Loyalty rearward for people who made purchases in year one (hence the L).

#9 Suskis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 276 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:08 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 12 November 2016 - 12:49 AM, said:

Its a great brawler, but you didn't buy it.
PGI gave it to you as a Loyalty rearward for people who made purchases in year one (hence the L).

true! but I was unsure wether to sell it or not at the time! glad I kept it

#10 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:58 AM

View PostSuskis, on 12 November 2016 - 01:08 AM, said:

true! but I was unsure wether to sell it or not at the time! glad I kept it

You can't sell this kind of Loyalty reward mech. Don't you have the CN9-AH(L) too in your garage ? Release the same year of the Atlas you have. It's a nice medium mech.

#11 Suskis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 276 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:36 AM

I had the Centurion but, well, it disappeared.. so if I can't sell it, where has it gone?

#12 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:47 AM

View PostSuskis, on 12 November 2016 - 04:36 AM, said:

I had the Centurion but, well, it disappeared.. so if I can't sell it, where has it gone?

Have you checked if you have apllied some filters on the select screen of the mechlab ?

Hum... Very odd, if it really has disappear, maybe send a mail at the customer service.

#13 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:12 AM

View PostSuskis, on 12 November 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

Would you replace the Medium Lasers with an AMS? Being a slow mech I fear some heavy LRM rain. Having an AMS hardpoint I am thinking about it...

I'd add arm armor and maybe a bit of ammo. This will require approaching under cover to be successful anyway and AMS is basically waste tonnage if you're doing that. You want to shoot and then shield with an arm. Arm armor lets you take more damage with your arms.

#14 P

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts
  • LocationI bask in the fire, and look into the stars, Laughing

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:25 PM

how do i get this mech?
i really want this mech and im still not sure why so many of you dont want him Posted Image

#15 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

View PostP, on 28 November 2016 - 08:25 PM, said:

how do i get this mech?
i really want this mech and im still not sure why so many of you dont want him Posted Image

Can buy for CB, just not the (L)oyalty version.

#16 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:35 PM

AS7S #1

AS7S #2

Mine are based loosely off those builds. I've change them depending on solo QP or if comp play etc (you can also dual LXB10). #2 is a bit more of a "let the other Atlas push" and you come in and cause destruction as a team as it's a tad lower on armour. If you and a make play dual Atlas, 9/10 times you can 2v4 for laughs and usually come out on top with 400-500dmg a piece.

#17 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:11 PM

The AS7-S is a member of the "century club"- assault 'Mechs capable of mounting a 100-point-plus, no ghost heat alpha strike. It would be criminal not to post one, just for gits and shiggles, so...

Pain.

For when you absolutely, positively have to make a pugger dead on one shot or less, and don't particularly care if you get left behind. Light on the ammo, but really, you shouldn't expect to live long enough to use it all anyway. Small price to pay for instant flaming death in a can. It's a troll build; your purpose in life is to find that one perfect shot, take it, and end somebody. Then, preferably, do it again, since your first 100+ point alpha won't actually overheat you. Unlike certain other 100-ton troll builds.

Disclaimer: this is not a good Atlas config. I do not recommend this config. Nobody in their right mind would recommend this Atlas config.

...but it is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

#18 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:35 PM

Heh, if by "Pain" you mean "overheat".

#19 Marcomies

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

Here's my build for AS7-S(L).

I tried the usual AC20+SRM+2MLas build (but with LB20X) for my loyalty Atlas but I really didn't like the build's complete inability to do any meaningful damage past 300 meters. Sure it does great damage when it gets to less than 300 meters but 3 times out of 4 I found myself hiding behind a building, unable to close the distance to the enemy without losing all my armor on the way and often having lost my weapons by the time I was in range. Furthermore, many times when I managed to get within shooting range of the enemy, the awful pitch angle (even with the skills) prevented me from actually using the "real" weapons against the enemy.

I liked the LB20X, in my experience the high velocity and slow damage fall-off more than made up for the spread that is in any case insignificant at ranges where AC20 would do any damage. I swapped the four SRM6+A for two MRM20 for increased range with relatively small loss of firepower and dps. MRM20s were also so much more weigh and space efficient that I could use endo steel and switch the two MLas to two LLas and still throw in an AMS.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...af2eb0325ee0918

The end result is an Atlas that has 78 firepower, 60 from the LB20X and MRMs. The mech can start doing almost full damage from 450 meters away (500 with range skills) and loses no efficiency at shorter ranges. The large lasers (together with LB20X) give the build some meaningful firepower up to 600-700 meters away and also some hand-mounted firepower to mitigate the pitch limitations. With this build it is also much less likely that you lose all your (meaningful) weapons before being destroyed. The AMS is nice for dealing with the rain of LRM that usually comes towards the Atlas as soon as it's spotted. The mech has full armor apart from missing 3 points from both legs.

The downsides of the build would be the 300STD engine that gives you the top speed of only 48.6 km/h but then again, getting into knife fight distance isn't as critical as it is for SRM build. The heat efficiency of the mech also isn't great if you use the large lasers extensively but most of the firepower comes from the other weapons in any case.

The build has similar or even better alpha than AC20+SRM(+MLas) builds, similar or better Max DPS and similar sustainable DPS as long as you don't overuse the Lasers. The build doesn't lose any armor or much (if any) brawling power either. I have found this Atlas much more flexible and more practical than the AC20+SRM in most real situations that you face in quick play. It's very enjoyable build to play for me even though I mostly prefer playing light and medium mechs.

TL;DR: LB20X, 2xMRM20, 2xLLas, AMS, 300STD

Edited by Marcomies, 20 August 2017 - 09:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users