• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:02 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 12 November 2016 - 05:55 AM, said:

@ Aleski

Its spelled chic(sounds like sheek although I just say chic sometimes Posted Image), vogue works to in some instances.

HA HA HA xD I don't edit my message, it's so funny ! Well well... My mistake ! At least i've learn something usefull today on the forum...

But i'm french, so i guess it's an excuse, right ? Hum hum... Or maybe don't.

#22 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:13 AM

I have no interest in solaris as a death match or team death match of any size. What the game needs are objective based missions,pve, and co-op for a lot of players. Better map design that isn't moba crap and funnels for cw.

#23 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:48 AM

View PostAppogee, on 12 November 2016 - 03:40 AM, said:

I would like them to focus on ... fixing other things Posted Image

I have no interest in Solaris. IIRC, MW:LL Solaris was a 1v23 cagefight. But the winners most often were those who stayed out of the melee and just picked off the damaged survivors. So their victory proved nothing.

So I'm more interested in fixing FP with less limited gameplay and more logistics, and generally, new maps.

I changed the poll to try and accommodate this.

#24 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:57 AM

Solaris could offer 1v1 duels or 8 player FFA. By weight class.

The map would be known before Mechlab.

8 player FFA would drop 8 players at 4 widely separated spawns so it would start with 4 duels essentially and the winners would then be free to pursue any tactic they wanted to defeat the others.

I would like PvE first, but see it as a lot more work and time whereas Solaris could be added quickly so should likely come first.

Edited by Lightfoot, 12 November 2016 - 09:59 AM.

#25 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:25 AM

Zilch.....I prefer the chaos of larger battles but I am Battlefield fanboi so go figure.

#26 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:38 PM

View PostZibmo, on 12 November 2016 - 07:36 AM, said:

I did a review of Solaris with 11 guys I know in the game. They will be extremely disappointed if PGI wastes time making Solaris. Representative sampling? No. Enough for me to agree with their assessment? Yes.

And since you guys are so hard core - how about adding permadeath to your mech (it disappears from your "stable") with full salvage rights to the victor, repairs to said victor having to be paid from winnings? I mean, if you guys are so hard core 24 FFA kinds of guys, this is right up your alley. And the replacement costs would make tons of money for PGI. Except for the fact that only about 10% of the people currently queued for FP will play it for any length of time, even WITHOUT the "hard core" (hoorah!) elements.

Repair and rearm would be great.

There are four things to make Solaris work and it should be a paid expansion. 1st, an economy and some very high credit purchases to make. 2nd, NPCs in the matches on Solaris. 3rd, first person mechbay. 4th pilot player character.

Although the NPC's alone may be enough. If some players are just trolls trying to ruin matches and hate any new content then they would have to pay to troll Solaris. Also it makes any trolls getting banned for cheats not trolling Solaris as well. And so on.

I don't know if Solaris will be a paid expansion or not but there are quite a few up sides to it being a paid expansion and almost no down sides. Actually I cant think of any down sides at all, but I have not tried to hard I must admit.

Personally I think it should be 20ish dollars considering a few things, but they could go 30 maybe and as low as 5 dollars just to put a door charge on it. I say 30 because full entire top games are 60ish dollars. If it was more than 30 I would still try and get it depending.

Edited by Johnny Z, 12 November 2016 - 04:01 PM.

#27 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:38 PM

It's own leader board. And betting with C-Bills.

#28 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:48 PM

Weekly rotation of three different modes,

A. 1v1 (solos)

B. 4v4 (premades only)

C: free-for-all (at least 12 mechs total)

... that would make me happy.

#29 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:36 PM

1vs1, 4vs4, a spectator function so I can actually watch other people play the Solaris matches and a UI alert to let me know when the good teams are playing.

Edited by CheeseThief, 12 November 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#30 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:49 PM

My desires for Solaris?

... For it to not suck. Posted Image

#31 Conjure

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:17 AM

For it to actually be implemented...

#32 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:35 AM

The biggest deal about Solaris is that the whole thing was run for gambling. Period. That was the entire reason mechwarriors entered the arena... both for the prize for victory, AND the chance to place wagers.

If betting game currency on matches isn't a part of Solaris, it's dead to me.

#33 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:45 AM

View PostFireStoat, on 13 November 2016 - 12:35 AM, said:

The biggest deal about Solaris is that the whole thing was run for gambling. Period. That was the entire reason mechwarriors entered the arena... both for the prize for victory, AND the chance to place wagers.

If betting game currency on matches isn't a part of Solaris, it's dead to me.

Nope it was gladiator games in the future on a planet called Solaris.

Edited by Johnny Z, 13 November 2016 - 01:55 AM.

#34 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:17 AM

View PostAleski, on 12 November 2016 - 08:02 AM, said:

HA HA HA xD I don't edit my message, it's so funny ! Well well... My mistake ! At least i've learn something usefull today on the forum...

But i'm french, so i guess it's an excuse, right ? Hum hum... Or maybe don't.

That's ok I seem like I want to be "mr know it all" sometimes. Just fun on these forums no worries.

#35 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:30 AM

How to make Solaris truly different? I think an easy way would be to have weight classes fight only each other. Heavies vrs heavies, lights vrs lights, etc. 8v8 all light mechs would be crazy.

#36 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:32 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 13 November 2016 - 02:30 AM, said:

How to make Solaris truly different? I think an easy way would be to have weight classes fight only each other. Heavies vrs heavies, lights vrs lights, etc. 8v8 all light mechs would be crazy.

Isn't that what we had in MW4 mercs campaign?
I think you dropped on Solaris and engaged in all weight classes one after the other
Starting with lights?
With Duncan Fisher starting to say:
"Many people don't think these light matches to be very entertaining, but something something speed and agility"

Makes me hopeful that he will be there at MechCon (I think I remember him being mentioned in the podcast)

I liked the capture the convoy mission kinda a lot ;-)

#37 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 November 2016 - 11:31 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 13 November 2016 - 08:32 AM, said:

Isn't that what we had in MW4 mercs campaign?
I think you dropped on Solaris and engaged in all weight classes one after the other
Starting with lights?
With Duncan Fisher starting to say:
"Many people don't think these light matches to be very entertaining, but something something speed and agility"

Makes me hopeful that he will be there at MechCon (I think I remember him being mentioned in the podcast)

I liked the capture the convoy mission kinda a lot ;-)

Yeah that's exactly how it was in MW4 mercs except for the championship match was an anything goes free for all.

Just a simple thing like that would differentiate Solaris from QP.

#38 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 13 November 2016 - 11:53 AM

FREE FOR ALL!

We alredy got team game modes in qp and fw. Need an all by yourself mode as a break from qp crazy random teams or when you dont have time/ cant organize enough people for fw. Some examples.
There could be a sub choice besides free for all. 1vs1, duel, zelbringen.

Both those can create some pretty tense and heroic/ badass moments.
In FFA, there could be say 8 player ffa or 16/ 24 depend how the bucketing would work. Also an even distribution of weight classes. 4 lights/ mediums/heavies/assaults. + room for 4 spectator payers ( for those that just feel for only watching others fight). Betting is a must and with top 3-4 prizes etc. You get the idea.

Edited by Tordin, 13 November 2016 - 11:57 AM.

#39 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

What El Bandito said is what I'd like (1v1, 4v4, ranking).
Narration by sportcaser Duncan Fisher would make it even better. Hearing the crowds cheering and booing would be cool.
Also, any of us being able to spectate any live match would make sense.

#40 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:56 PM

I don't see how free-for-all is going to work. How does it work in MW:LL, I haven't checked it out.

In MW4:Mercs the incentive for not hiding was that you wouldn't make any money if you just hid all the time and killed the last dude. But that was single player. In PVP, that kind of logic doesn't apply to everyone. Some people just want to win.

In my opinion, any game with more than 2 sides needs to have in-match incentives (as opposed to c-bills and XP, which come after the match) for people to engage. For example, if you all remember the Highlander movies, where there could be only one survivors, the incentive for fighting was that you gained someone's powers by killing them. So if you just tried to hide until the year 3000 without killing anyone, your opponent would basically be omnipotent.

This obviously doesn't work for MWO, because it's not Quake Arena with Quad damage or anything like that. One alternative would be to give every player 1 respawn for every kill, because even if you only have 50% health after your first kill, it basically means you have 1.5 mechs while all the other guys only have 1 mech (unless they also got kills).

But that doesn't quite have the right gladiator feel to it. On Solaris, pilots don't eject and run over to a fresh mech in the middle of the show. So another possibility would be to have big gates that divide all the players in pairs, like 8x2 players in one match. In each compartment, two players fight it out. After x amount of time, the gates start to open up. So then the survivor from all the first pairs meet a new opponent. And it's basically a forced tournament format. If you take too much damage fighting your first opponent, you will be too damaged to survive against your second opponent, etc. But then it's not quite the chaos and carnage of an open gladiator-like Solaris match.

An alternative to respawns (i.e. extra longevity) as incentive to fight would be some kind of extra attacks (i.e. extra offensive abilities), like controlling turrets or hovertanks. In this case, killing enemy mechs means you control more and more of the battlefield. But again, this isn't very satisfying, because Solaris is supposed to be about mechs, not turrets.

I don't really see a good solution that doesn't involve arcade-items like medikits and damage boosters, or extra factors like turrets. It seems like free-for-all is always going to be open to cynical hide-and-seek if you want to keep it consistent with the really clean, gladiator-like idea.

And if you make the map too small and open, in order to force the action, then it just becomes a random dice roll of whether your enemies ganged up on you, or someone else became the first victims and you were able to capitalize.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users