16 replies to this topic

#1 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:13 AM

Still limited by this engine. Told time and again NOT happening. This POS startup game does it fine.
http://www.pcgamer.c...uffer_pcgamerfb

ZERO EXCUSES.

#2 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:42 AM

There are IMO few explanations :

- DEV's don't really care what forum people want/wish for

- DEV's considered that (very shortly) and thought that some (maybe more than majority) people from the playerbase have potato computers and adding a rear view mirror will kick their overall game performance in the nuts. You have to remember that (at least in theory) game engine will have to render the game on users computer twice this way. First time for what you see usually and the other time goes for rear view mirror display (and whatever part/cone of view it has to work over for it).
But this is entirely dependant on the way rendering engine works. Some of 'em (like the extreme ones) are working on stuff that you only see. So if you could turn yourself around while game would think that your are still standing in same position you'd see an empty void around your behind. Hilarious stuff happens when dev's group meshes for optimization and that kind of thinking is set in motion... disappearing walls and mountains are just the few things that are staggeringly visible.

#3 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:49 AM

Their horrible monster of a modified CryEngine needs to be taken out back and put out of its misery. Picture in picture, LBX ammo switching, faster mechs, optimization, and (probably) new weapon systems are all locked out for us. But hoping for them to bother to switch to an engine they could actually handle, and be able to properly code without bringing in the goat to sacrifice? That wouldn't get them money, so there's no chance they'll do it.

#4 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:58 AM

Honestly. If the game was down for a week due to re-tooling for the new engine. We would all be the better for it. Everyone would get a much needed break and we would come back to MUCH NEEDED things such as stated above: LBX switch. 360 degree view. ETC.

#5 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:08 AM

It doesn't even need to be a picture in picture style rear view (especially since the engine can't really do it)... just a rear view camera toggle like in Mechwarrior 4 would be sufficient.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 15 November 2016 - 08:08 AM.

#6 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:22 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 15 November 2016 - 08:08 AM, said:

It doesn't even need to be a picture in picture style rear view (especially since the engine can't really do it)... just a rear view camera toggle like in Mechwarrior 2 would be sufficient.

Fixed you u.

1995 stuff is lostech

#7 wolf74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:43 AM

1st that using Unity Engine Not Crytek
2nd they most likely have not even looked at for 3years. They had Hell getting the Zoom to work in a Window that's why we have the full Screen zooming VS the Module zoom that bring up a Window zoom. This Took time.
3rd this is VERY heavily Modded version of a Older Crytek engine.
4th if it so Easy YOU DO IT.

Edited by wolf74, 15 November 2016 - 08:44 AM.

#8 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:11 AM

View PostHammerMaster, on 15 November 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

Honestly. If the game was down for a week due to re-tooling for the new engine. We would all be the better for it. Everyone would get a much needed break and we would come back to MUCH NEEDED things such as stated above: LBX switch. 360 degree view. ETC.

Engine switch doesnt happen over a week mate. It happens in months and years.

View Postwolf74, on 15 November 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

1st that using Unity Engine Not Crytek
2nd they most likely have not even looked at for 3years. They had Hell getting the Zoom to work in a Window that's why we have the full Screen zooming VS the Module zoom that bring up a Window zoom. This Took time.
3rd this is VERY heavily Modded version of a Older Crytek engine.
4th if it so Easy YOU DO IT.

I could tamper with the game engine if I had access to dev tools which without checking it are either locked out or my changes... would only affect me. And it could get me banned.

And like hell I'm gonna do their work for free. I already have a job and I prefer Unreal Engine Posted Image
Bcs at this point after doing short research it seems the problem was not fixed for CE3.

And from quick google around cryengine forums :

User named Sava : "I don't remember the exact forum but someone at crymod was experimenting with multiple viewports. He said that cryengine isn't well suited for this and the frame rate drops by a third for every viewports you add. he released the code but its buggy."

So yeah it's possible.
Thread that was talked about doesn't exist anymore tho.

Multiple Cameras are not working, only one camera is active. (The Multicam references are there but do not work)

And another possible workaround :

Sava's right,
I'd completely forgotten about the viewport limitations
If you want to do the mirror. I'd recommend adding a function to swivel the view to the back.

So maybe adding a button for you to switch to rear view camera. Press and hold to keep that view (basically fading out to black, turning your camera around, fade in) to see and on key release you are back to normal view.

Edited by lazytopaz, 15 November 2016 - 09:19 AM.

#9 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:15 AM

Was the same excuse for not having a good advanced zoom
Was horribly pixelated in the beginning

But they managed to find a workaround
My bet is on coding work that could be done, but like lbx switchable ammo is considered too much effort for little payback

#10 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:16 AM

I'm against rear view, I think it would make the game worse. The Sneaking up/awareness game is much more interesting without a rear view.

#11 Trollfeed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:27 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 15 November 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

I'm against rear view, I think it would make the game worse. The Sneaking up/awareness game is much more interesting without a rear view.

Sadly your argument is irrelevant as long as seismic sensor is in game.

#12 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:28 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 15 November 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

Was the same excuse for not having a good advanced zoom
Was horribly pixelated in the beginning

But they managed to find a workaround
My bet is on coding work that could be done, but like lbx switchable ammo is considered too much effort for little payback

Horribly pixelated?
I've found this for CE2

What it does basically (very basic theory) it renders frame by frame, saves picture in memory and puts it into the viewport to the part of the screen. Depending on a frame rate we're talking here about saving and loading like 30 pictures per second with set resolution (lower it is, puts less strain on your pc) - in case of this yt example for Ce2 there was more work and thought put into it. But CE2 and CE3 from render engine standpoint are totally different engines. Related only by name.

It might've been done that way. I remember when one of our shader guys came around with a possible workaround for Mirror Material for bathrooms and such. It included a camera actor that would record and cast into material what was suppose to be displayed on a mirror surface. Taking into consideration which actors are suppose to be able to see the reflection in the mirror aaand it didn't cast player actor on the surface... bcs what's the point of showing floating hands holding a gun in the air Posted Image (then/at that point in developement).
Performance for that location was fu#ked. Might I add the idea for mirrors was scrapped quickly afterwards. And worked around.

Edited by lazytopaz, 15 November 2016 - 09:36 AM.

#13 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:34 AM

This is a non issue. Rear view is unnecessary. You can simply work on being aware of your surroundings. Just turn your torso and check behind you every once and awhile. You can also equip seismic sensors. the mini map wall hack module. The final clue that some one is behind you is the damage indicator showing from what direction you were shot from. It amazes me how many people completely ignore this feature.

#14 WarPickle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 513 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:45 AM

Honestly... people in this game have a hard enough time paying attention to what's going on in front of them or even looking at the damn map for awareness... don't add more to their confusion..

#15 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:47 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 15 November 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

As if people are going to be constantly looking at their rear view. You know as well as anyone people only ever look for the red dorito.

#16 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

Rear view would certainly be helpful but it's most definitely not a deal breaker.

#17 Composite Armour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

Maybe just allow you to look behind you with the 3rd person drone?
Allows you for a quick check while letting enemies know you're not watching in front of you and let's the flanking lights get out of dodge if they spot the drone.

Not exactly a rear view mirror, but eh, it's something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users