#1 Dex Spero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:58 AM

Hey folks,

As a newcomer to online gaming, so I do not know the rules and etiquette regarding streaming games on twitch or youtube or other places, but if there aren't any I'd like to recommend one.

If you are streaming the match for public viewing, or if you are recording the game with the intent to use it later in something that will be posted for public viewing, then I would prefer to be told at the beginning of the match. I'm not interested in starting a thread debating whether or not it streaming should be allowed and I'm not here to stop streaming cuz I love watching the stuff that's out there and don't want it to stop! But I also like to know when my voice or my words are out there for the public to hear/read, even under a pseudonym. I've noticed some of the more popular MWO streamers like Baradul from Molten Metal put a little "streaming live on twitch" or similar message on chat when the game starts. I think that's classy and hope other streamers will follow that practice.

And if you are the super curious type who is now wondering if I totally embarrassed myself on somebody's video, I'll save you the trouble: no. But I did find myself in a game on somebody's stream, and other than realizing my sense of humour hasn't evolved since I was 12 I had no problem with anything I said (in perfect honesty I didn't watch past the queue but I'm not worried). The best practice is never say or act in a way that will embarrass you later (i.e. assume every game is being streamed!!!). But I was definitely caught off guard to see my name and words available for public viewing and when I did my old-fashioned-pre-computer-era-politeness-sensor was triggered and sent out a signal that my brain processed as "huh. kinda feel like telling the rest of us we were live on the internet would have been the polite thing here."

No biggie, just curious as to how people feel about being streamed and if they think informing teammates of streaming should be the common etiquette or if I need to permanently shelve my pre-computer-era-politeness sensor.

#2 I Love MechAssault

• PipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 20 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:39 AM

Not only are they streaming, but many are recording games. I have 60gb of encoded/compressed recordings.
You're in a match with 11 other people on comms each game. Shouldn't assume privacy.

I play my best, call shots when I can, and try not to be annoying.

#3 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:46 AM

I just assume anyone at anytime could be recording, because of software like Shadowplay. There's no need really to advertise it, if anyone gets salty that's really just too bad, it is a multiplayer game after all.

#4 BattleBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 541 posts
  • LocationWarren

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

If you are streaming the match for public viewing, or if you are recording the game with the intent to use it later in something that will be posted for public viewing, then I would prefer to be told at the beginning of the match.

My shadowplay is usually on. I hope I have hereby informed you enough, No way in hell am I gonna type that into gamechat every game.

Edited by BattleBunny, 15 November 2016 - 10:48 AM.

#5 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:50 AM

As others have said, assume you're being streamed/recorded and behave accordingly.

#6 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:53 AM

In this day and age always assume that you are being recorded. Even IRL.

#7 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:54 AM

Pretty sure your Privacy is already moot... Seriously read the TOS of the game.

Guarenteed somewhere in there, is a line that reads similar to: PGI and affiliates reserve the right to record and rebroadcast any footage, by agreeing to these TOS, you agree to the ability to record and rebroadcast...ect ect ect.

Seriously, like every TOS for online games ever has a line like this, and while it doesn't exactly extend to other players using that footage, you literally have no privacy online.

don't like that idea? Don't play online games, that's literally your option.

#8 Dex Spero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:06 PM

Wow! I never expected this number of answers this quickly! And such concise, clear responses regarding the prevalence of streaming for online games and the overall consensus that it is best to assume you are being broadcast and so it doesn't breach any form of etiquette. Consider me informed indeed! Now I know :)

Thanks!

#9 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:17 PM

I'm on the fence about this. I agree it's safest to always assume that you're being recorded, and might find yourself on Youtube.

Personally though, I sometimes put examples of 'mech gameplay on Youtube, and if there's someone who's very prominently talking in the video -- say drop-calling throughout -- I like to ask that they're OK with the video going on Youtube. Not saying you "should" do it this way, but this is what I see as fair.

Edited by jss78, 15 November 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#10 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:19 PM

I usually type something like "Live on Twitch: XXPUGXX_TheScotsman" but as the night goes on if I'm having a fonversation on TS I end up forgetting. As others have said it's probably best to assume you are being recorded ;)

(I really should learn to do macros for that message ;) )

#11 Dex Spero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:42 PM

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 15 November 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

I usually type something like "Live on Twitch: XXPUGXX_TheScotsman" but as the night goes on if I'm having a fonversation on TS I end up forgetting. As others have said it's probably best to assume you are being recorded Posted Image

(I really should learn to do macros for that message Posted Image )

Thanks xX PUG Xx! Like I said, its not a big deal when it happens, and I certainly wasn't angry when I saw my name on the screen, especially because the streamer is a player I am always happy to see on our team :) Just wanted to hear what others thought about it.

Looking forward to dropping with you again soon!

#12 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:49 PM

View PostDex Spero, on 15 November 2016 - 03:42 PM, said:

Thanks xX PUG Xx! Like I said, its not a big deal when it happens, and I certainly wasn't angry when I saw my name on the screen, especially because the streamer is a player I am always happy to see on our team Posted Image Just wanted to hear what others thought about it.

Looking forward to dropping with you again soon!

I'd be honored to see my name on a stream...especially if it was a great game for me.

#13 FuhNuGi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationMendocino California

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:09 PM

I always assume someone will be recording or streaming...

If they say they are, I will make an effort to watch my speaking and typing ...

Notification should be done for the producers benefit and the cast as well.

#14 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

I think it is annoying when people tell me they are streaming live on twitch and hand out their url. I'd rather not know. Whenever you're on the internet, you must understand nothing is private.

Oh, and pot calling kettle... ;) (except I never advertise in the game, nor do I stream MWO anymore)

Edited by Mister Blastman, 15 November 2016 - 07:29 PM.

#15 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:45 PM

How to live your @ssholeitude in the streaming era by DAYLEET.

Step 1: Hold it all in.

Step 2: When someone is shhitting on your teammates for some reasons, right or wrong, you unload on him in an inordinate fashion.

Step 3: Theres no step three, you are an @sshole but on the guy everyone temporarily hates and you kinda look like a good guy. Note that youll only be remembered for what you said and not why you said it so in the end you're always the bad guy. But you can live with that.

Works for me every time , all the time.

Edited by DAYLEET, 15 November 2016 - 07:47 PM.

#16 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:40 PM

Being told that someone is streaming at the start of a match in the lobby is a grand thing, agreed.
Honestly though, I think most internet gamers picked up the idea that recording could be happening at any time and preserved for a decade or more after seeing the Onyxia Raid video back in the day ("Moar Dots!").

I guess newer gamers might not have the sense of paranoia that the older gamers have come to accept.

#17 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:24 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 15 November 2016 - 10:54 AM, said:

Pretty sure your Privacy is already moot... Seriously read the TOS of the game.

Guarenteed somewhere in there, is a line that reads similar to: PGI and affiliates reserve the right to record and rebroadcast any footage, by agreeing to these TOS, you agree to the ability to record and rebroadcast...ect ect ect.

Seriously, like every TOS for online games ever has a line like this, and while it doesn't exactly extend to other players using that footage, you literally have no privacy online.

don't like that idea? Don't play online games, that's literally your option.

CItation of relevant ToS section please ?

Also, do PGI's ToS also hold up for people streaming/recording privately, and possibly uploading that content to a possibly revenue generating service ( like youtube ) .

I am really just curious, and interested in the subject .

#18 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:06 PM

View PostBesh, on 16 November 2016 - 03:24 AM, said:

CItation of relevant ToS section please ?

Also, do PGI's ToS also hold up for people streaming/recording privately, and possibly uploading that content to a possibly revenue generating service ( like youtube ) .

I am really just curious, and interested in the subject .

I bet if you really wanted to you could find a hole in the language and sue the pants off of PGI for something dumb. I say this because it's clear they've never hired a lawyer in their lives with the way they handled the tournament decals debacle.

#19 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:14 PM

Whenever somebody announces that the match is being recorded, I immediately charge forth into the enemy with UACs blazing or lasers hot and take out about 1/4th to 1/2 of a lance before ejecting. This is the way of a true Klingon... err, MechWarrior! Posted Image

#20 Dex Spero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:17 PM

View Postcazidin, on 16 November 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

Whenever somebody announces that the match is being recorded, I immediately charge forth into the enemy with UACs blazing or lasers hot and take out about 1/4th to 1/2 of a lance before ejecting. This is the way of a true Klingon... err, MechWarrior! Posted Image

haha awesome!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users