#21 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:52 AM

View PostTercieI, on 22 November 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

Thanks, Terciel - I do appreciate it, as always.
That said, I talked with some other folks about this over in the Battlemechs > Mediums subforum.
For me, XL, especially on the BJ is no good, and I don't want to worry too much about breaking ghost heat.
I might do something like that and just deal with a slower engine, just so that I can trade firing my right and left side as needed.
If I ever get to the point where I want to join team Uberplayer, then I might start adding XLs to my IS mechs, but for now, I'm good.

#22 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostScottAleric, on 22 November 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

Thanks, Terciel - I do appreciate it, as always.
That said, I talked with some other folks about this over in the Battlemechs > Mediums subforum.
For me, XL, especially on the BJ is no good, and I don't want to worry too much about breaking ghost heat.
I might do something like that and just deal with a slower engine, just so that I can trade firing my right and left side as needed.
If I ever get to the point where I want to join team Uberplayer, then I might start adding XLs to my IS mechs, but for now, I'm good.

Well, any BJ without an XL will be undergunned or too slow, FWIW. And there's no ghost heat on that mech. ML and MPL are not pooled on the IS side. That's actually a big part of why it's built that way. It's not as strong as it was a couple quirk and sizing passes ago, but there are good reasons that's the meta build on the BJ-1X still.

#23 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:03 PM

View PostTercieI, on 22 November 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

Well, any BJ without an XL will be undergunned or too slow, FWIW. And there's no ghost heat on that mech. ML and MPL are not pooled on the IS side. That's actually a big part of why it's built that way. It's not as strong as it was a couple quirk and sizing passes ago, but there are good reasons that's the meta build on the BJ-1X still.

That's what I keep hearing, and if it's really true, then I'm clearly not good enough yet to be piloting that thing. I'll lose a side torso in what seems like 30% of my matches with one of them (maybe less, I haven't actually counted).
Right now, I'd rather be under gunned and contributing as much as possible, than dead and not contributing at all.

Besides, the BJ just feels straight-up slow, even with the max engine.

#24 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:25 PM

View PostScottAleric, on 22 November 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

That's what I keep hearing, and if it's really true, then I'm clearly not good enough yet to be piloting that thing. I'll lose a side torso in what seems like 30% of my matches with one of them (maybe less, I haven't actually counted).
Right now, I'd rather be under gunned and contributing as much as possible, than dead and not contributing at all.

Besides, the BJ just feels straight-up slow, even with the max engine.

It is a tricky mech to drive well, especially now that a lot of its toughness buffs have been reversed and it's been embiggened. And you're right, with the exception of only the 1X it doesn't move that fast. The key is to shoot without being shot back too much. I realize that sounds obvious and that's the heart of all good trading in MWO, but it's especially true of a mech like the Blackjack, which punches way harder than the punches it can take.

Your philosophy of "at least I'm contributing something" isn't nuts, I don't mean to sound like that, but also consider that one way to learn why top players do something one way is just to try it.

Good luck shreddin regardless. :)

#25 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:46 AM

For those that do not own mechs that are adequately suited to the task of Shredding lots of components, use the Trial Jenner-IIC!!

I'm helping my 8 year old son complete this challenge and I refuse to use his actually owned mechs, he needs to Master those himself, so I only use Trials. That Jenner-IIC is one nasty little mech that can blow of legs or hurt components with a bit of good aim (though standing against a mech and unleashing 20 SRM's at point blank range can also work). In fact I'm liking it so much that it's going to be my next purchase!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users