#41 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:58 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 19 November 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

This, but to be more clear:

Pick a range band and go with it. Don't put machine guns on a mech at all, really; there are some circumstances when you may as well but a Direwolf, just don't.

A problem you're going to run into here is that ERLL's have huge long burn times, and you can only fire 2 at a time or you suffer ghost heat. So this means you're firing 2, then two more, THEN you can fire the UAC5 (because lasers are hitscan weapons and hit exactly what you're pointing at instantly, while UAC5's have projectiles and travel time, so if your target is moving anywhere other than directly towards/away from you, you're not hitting with lasers and UAC at the same time. At least, not where you want.

Generally speaking, ERLL's aren't very good weapons due to that burn duration. Your target can simply twist/move and you're spreading damage all over them, while still labouring under high heat and tight ghost heat limits (2). It also tends to make them extremely ineffective against anything that gets close to you, because it becomes very hard to keep your beams on them for the full duration.

Psst 2ERLrg, 2Erppc, 6xMG, 4xSMPulse actually makes a very nasty Direwolf. Takes some practice to play it well and not just over heat like crazy but it is also a 95 wp mech at 200meters. Maybe you don't know that MGs got a very nice buff? Very usable today but yeah very short range so one has to be smart about their use. Nice thing about this build is it allows for a cool off period while continuing a fairly nasty fire at those up close mechs. MGs add 0 heat so you can keep them going all day long and cool off while you are at it. (Okay all that said this build... not exactly for beginers but if you are daring give it a shot. It is a hot build which means you have 2 shots with the er ppcs and er lrg together, at incredible effective ranges, before you need a short cool down time but if you have something in your face you can immediately use the 4smpulse and mgs on them and keep the machine guns going until you either pop a cool shot to get off a large punch with the big weapons or cool off for a second to hit them with the sm pulse again).

EDIT: Oh and OP you should know I quite often run 'crazy out of the box' type of builds. So if you do try it and hate it don't worry you can cuss me for it :P

Edited by Bellum Dominum, 28 December 2016 - 07:06 AM.

#42 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:50 AM

... but if your not fighting utter bads, you'll never get to use the mg or SMP's. Horrifically low speed, limited twist, and extremely short range means you just stay at 200m and lol.

cERLL and cERPPC then is pretty anemic firepower for a Direwolf. It's heat limits it's firepower enormously, and 2 erll and 2 ERPPC isn't particularly hitty as an alpha either.

What you've done is build a mech that isn't really good at anything.

I'm sure you've had good games with it, but that doesn't make it a good build.

Edited by Wintersdark, 28 December 2016 - 08:50 AM.

#43 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

Yeah I seriously don't get people's fascination with MGs. Who wants to get that close, especially in a slowazz Dire Wolf?

#44 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

lol you guys don't get it. First off assaults should always be closing the gap. Secondly IF they get close to you IE push on you then you are completely prepared for it. It by far is not a 'T1' competitive build and not even one I'd use much. Heck I've been rocking direstar again lately and talk about better know how to manage your heat Posted Image 600+ average damage a match no sweat.

If you aren't trying out mg's with the recent changes, especially on the fast mechs. well I can only shake my head. I put the dw together more as a joke at first. Dropped in it a few times and said to myself... what the heck? This actually works?

(EDIT: Kind of broadly posted this response. Winters I know you get most of what I posted in this response.)

Edited by Bellum Dominum, 28 December 2016 - 02:43 PM.

#45 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:40 AM

View PostPuppy Monkey Baby, on 19 November 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

Well...

The idea was to use the ER Large Lasers as snipers. The LRM 20 is of course for indirect fire support, and the MGs were for when lights got up close to me.

Originally I had a Targeting Computer 7, but I ditched it and put the UAC 5 on in its place.

My weapon groupings are:
1: ER Large Lasers (chain fire!)
2: UAC5 + Machine Guns
3: LRM 20

I only have a basic mouse so I can't realistically do more than 3 weapon groups.

use the keyboard for the other groups.foranything from 4-6 use the number keys on your keyboard.. with tis config I ould put the 4 ERLL on groups 1 and 2 since they are good at any range 3 uac5 and lrm20 is 4 using the keyboard. That's what I do with my LRMs If anything use them to make the other team move or hide.

#46 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

View PostBellum Dominum, on 28 December 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

lol you guys don't get it.

Exactly.

Check the thread title folks, were looking for the WORST Direwolf. So get those machine guns ready.

#47 Puppy Monkey Baby

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

My Dire Wolf has been swapped around on loadouts 2 dozen times since I last posted.

The current iteration has 2 Streak SRM 6s, a Streak SRM 4, 6 Medium Pulse Lasers, an ER Large Laser, and a Large Pulse. Oh, and a TAG.

What? Stop staring at me.Posted Image

#48 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:25 AM

Machine gun Sally!

8 machine guns one SRM6 LRM10! BoohhYaaa!!

it's actually not that bad. I had like 28k machine gun ammo originally and I don't know how much missile ammo on a UV with that. I went through quite a bit of ammo too. And it does do decent damage.

Moby **** / +ammo <-You can drop artemis and get 3 more tons of ammo. I added 1 tone UAC/20 and 2 tons UAC/10.

Then there is this build. I don't know if it's the best worst or the worst best. But it's fun and effective. Only problem is it makes crap for Cbills for some reason. You can slaughter half the team but you will only get 100k or less cbills. you could kill the whole enemy team and get 150k cbills at the end of the match. and maybe 1500 xp....

Can't wait till the skill tree comes out to optimize it more.

Edited by Arugela, 20 January 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#49 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

YOU SCRUBS CANT EVEN DIRE!

Worst builds will be either sniper builds in Solo, or Kitchen sinks with LRM.

And no one mentions an all Flamer build?

Sad is this forum...

#50 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 21 January 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

And no one mentions an all Flamer build?

Flamers?
Like this? (to be optimized for the one spare ton)
Would this even work? I’m actually curious to try it, but Direwhales are such a pain to pilot if they need to get close, and even more if they need to stay at certain distances…

#51 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

Why did OP ask for better builds only to get offended and insult people who offered help for them not being original with special snowflake good for nothing builds? I'm confused.

Some people even offered builds that were pretty original while still being effective.

#52 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

Hi Folks,
Having just completed the Elite status on all three of my Dire Wolf chassis with the Master in the works, I'll post a separate tread later on when I get the time on my experiences. I would also hope to have the community to chime in with their inputs and comments as well.

As for the flamer versions, They can stop a mech if you have enough famers and kill it with something else like an AC. Being on the receiving end, ask me how I know. :)

#53 theUgly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-General
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:41 AM

Can give the following advise after running Dires for months.
No LRMs, no Srms ,no flamers, no small lasers ,,

Keep that big a$$ low and
try your best to sit in the middle of the company.

Dont peek around a certain corner more than once.
You are too slow and a good pilot will core you out
quicker than you can get back in to cover.
Better shift position .

Once you are commit in a fight don't try to run away.
But ... everything that gets in front of you
needs to get dead with the quickness.

Have seen good players pull big damage in dakka dires
,but I rather go for the big alpha ones.

My favorite Wolf below for you, if you wish to give it a try.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...175faeda77cbae7

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users