The Breadrolls.

13 replies to this topic

#1 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:28 PM

I made my rolls with love and tender care, instructions were followed to perfection...
...But rolls still got burned due to appliance malfunction.

What I'm saying is: MM is broken because too many of the matches my teammates aren't getting over 150dmg in mechs that should easily make 3 or 4 times that much damage, while the rest of us are pulling as hard as we can to no avail.

I'm tired of pulling potatoes to victory, just straight up tired.

This game needs a real ranking system
(ie: Halo2-3 style rank system)

Natural selection needs to run it's course on those that can't hackit.

Edited by GrimRiver, 19 November 2016 - 06:28 PM.

#2 Sgt Ironballs

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:05 PM

I empathize, I'm probably a potato that's getting pulled. Just think, though: for every "true" tier 1 that's tired of pulling potatoes, how many more potatoes are tired of getting rekked by the tater pullers on the other team?

Believe me, if they could offer me something to do in this game besides PvP, I'd be the first to sign up for it and I'd be out of your way. Until then, if there are SOOO many people that need to "Git Gud", they should just let us play together!

Maybe mechCON will be an announcement for an improvement for both of us, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Sgt Ironballs, 19 November 2016 - 07:05 PM.

#3 BlueFlames

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:11 PM

You know, we've got leaderboards now, so it seems like sorting the tier system could be a lot easier than PSR:

Sort previous season's leaderboard by average match score, omitting accounts with less than nine games*, then work out where people fall on the bell curve:

Median plus two or more standard deviations = Tier 1
Median plus one to two standard deviations = Tier 2
Median to median plus one standard deviation = Tier 3
Median to median minus one standard deviation = Tier 4
Median minus one to two standard deviations = Tier 5
Median minus two or more standard deviations and players unranked in the previous season = Tier 6/potato

Match players within +/-2 tiers, with that margin to be tightened, should this game ever actually manage to grow.

* - Nine games per leaderboard season may be probably insufficient, but that's what PGI seems to consider the minimum to be an "active" player, at least according to how loyalty bonuses are distributed.

It'd still be flawed, insofar as the match score system isn't a perfect metric for measuring skill, but at least it wouldn't be an XP bar that fills lightning-fast for your first few matches. And it's not like it'd be some grand programming feat to implement, since all the tracking is already in place. All it needs is one PGI employee with an understanding of elementary statistics to implement a script that does the calcualation of where the standard deviations fall each month and then make according adjustments to people's tier rating in the database.

#4 MechWarrior5152251

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:15 PM

I would gladly lower my tier, at least until I get Ace of Spades.... So I volunteer to go down to Tier 5.

#5 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:46 PM

View PostClownwarlord, on 19 November 2016 - 07:23 PM, said:

OH NO!!! WHAT will happen to all the social justice warriors!? Where everyone must get a ribbon, and be tier 1!?

Social Justice MechWarriors are different. They want everyone ELSE to be stuck in tier 5 with them!

#6 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:51 PM

Thing is, in any sort of team based game, there will always be a minority of players that do the majority of the work.

It is just how skill/competence distribution works.

#7 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:52 PM

@Clown: The demographic that plays and funds this game is older than the generation you allude to.

#8 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:53 PM

Perhaps adjust your expectations
Expect potatoes
And plan accordingly

For me this provides less Dissappointment

(Its not a perfect world, MWO doesn't have 100,00 simultaneous players, MM can only do so much with a small playa base)

My Potato Contingency plan

1) Bring my best carrying mech, preferably a fast long range mech
2) Pump out as much damage and kills before the team evaporates.
3) Communicate with the team in a respectfull and inspiring manner
4) Use your teams armour to the teams advantage (FTW)
5) Die last CAUSE YOU CANT CARRY IF YOUR DEAD

Sometimes that's enough to turn things around and win games

Had some really close and fun games with my Potato Allies (Not a fan of the word)
Real cliff hanger edge of your seat type stuff
For me it's not all bad.

Besides potato just like guid or badda is relative.
Potatoes see me as guid
The guid perhaps see me as a potato

#9 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:56 PM

View Postcazidin, on 19 November 2016 - 07:46 PM, said:

Social Justice MechWarriors are different. They want everyone ELSE to be stuck in tier 5 with them!

What about Anime Justice Warriors, where every villian we defeat joins our side and helps fight the big bad? Makes about as much sense as someone randomly bringing up "SJW's" into a thread about PSR.

#10 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:13 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 19 November 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

@Clown: The demographic that plays and funds this game is older than the generation you allude to.

True they are worse, they are the generation that raised the generation I elude too.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:59 PM

Notice the OP is Tier 1, I just made that today even though I was leveling up mechs (experience bar)

There are only 5 tiers and with the way PSR is setup, most players will eventually be in tier 1/2. It is not the MM at fault, the teams you drop with and against could all be tier 1/2 and you will still get similar results. Take tier 3, people just rolling over into T3 and those who are a few games away from Tier 2. That is a lot variance in a system that for most is more of an experience bar than anything else. It is not even close to a zero-sum system except for a few T4/5 players due to how they play, what they bring and for many the potatoes they play on.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 19 November 2016 - 08:59 PM.

#12 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:57 PM

Probably doesn't help that the game is designed in such a way that even the best pilots in the game will sometimes bring their trash tier mechs and not score over 100.

#13 GrimRiver

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:02 PM

I don't know if this is supposed to happen but I've had T3/T4 people on my team alot, even some admitted that they just started playing on that day.

I know tier is just an XP bar and everybody will get there(some slower than others),
but I feel there should at least be something in place to keep me and others(more experienced)
from getting pared up with people who've haven't played as much(less experienced).

Ie: Clubbing baby seals.

It's not fair to the newbs and I feel "almost" bad clubbing them

"almost"

#14 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:33 AM

I like the idea but we have a small playerbase that has been eroding away slowly but steadily. I would rather see PvE content to draw more players to the game, and an emphasis on training new players because the tutorial in game currently is pretty garbage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users