15 replies to this topic

#1 Hillslam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

Over at friend's house, he let me try his Kodiak. Founder Atlas addict here.

Holy &*%^*&$ these things are nuts! Talk about easy mode. Giving one of these to an old plodding hardpoint-constrained Atlas jock is like giving caffeine to a mongoose.

I am in love.

Seriously though, if you're not racking 700+ per game in this thing you're a bad person and should feel bad.

I need to buy one before PGI nerfhammers hard. But ... christmas gifts for kids. Kodiak. Christmas gifts for kids.... ugh

#2 Amaranth Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 225 posts
  • LocationQuite possibly on the What MECH Challengers Discord at: http://bit.ly/2pkX1Yi

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:06 AM

View PostHillslam, on 20 November 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

Giving one of these to an old plodding hardpoint-constrained Atlas jock is like giving caffeine to a mongoose.

Love this quote Posted Image

Edit: formatting

Edited by Amaranth Panther, 20 November 2016 - 09:07 AM.

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:41 AM

I wonder what your reaction would have been if you had played them in their prime with full torso twist and zero ghost heat jam resistant quad UAC-10s.

#4 NameNotAvailable

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:58 AM

love how many posts go on about op kodiaks and never specify that it's the kodiak3 specifically.

This is how entire chassis get nerfed when only 1 variant was op.

sadface for my formerly beloved Spirit Bear, now a short range brawler with limited twist ffs.

#5 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:12 AM

I got a Spirit Bear. It's fun, but the only thing you can do is brawl with it, which is a crap shoot in solo queue. I'm not sure which other KDKs to get to elite the chassis. I see a lot of KDK-3s, but pretty much no other variant. I'm not sure the KDK-3 is all that OP. Any mech that can boat ballistics is gonna be a beast.

#6 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:26 AM

My bud loves his Kodiak 1 wub build. I was actually getting allot of kills in the Kodiak 2 but I might need to change my build post Ultra nerf. My Kodiak 3 still does great but anything with single Ultra 10 or 20 really hurt by the jam time.

#7 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:28 AM

I've been messing around with this lately:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a631bf9c4a2d4d2

You chainfire the ERMLs for base damage and burst with LPLs and MPLs. Or you fire all MPL's then alpha and back up with more MPL's on chainfire until the ERML is back online. It can literally fire the ERMLs for free on chainfire. It's a modification of the default KDK-5 setup. Put in a CD for the LPL's and a Range mod for the MPL's and you are good to go.

Edited by Arugela, 22 November 2016 - 11:32 AM.

#8 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:39 AM

Over at friend's house, he let me try his Kodiak. Founder Atlas addict here.

Holy &*%^*&$ these things are nuts! Talk about easy mode. Giving one of these to an old plodding hardpoint-constrained Atlas jock is like giving caffeine to a mongoose.

I am in love.

Seriously though, if you're not racking 700+ per game in this thing you're a bad person and should feel bad.

I need to buy one before PGI nerfhammers hard. But ... christmas gifts for kids. Kodiak. Christmas gifts for kids.... ugh

Xmas gifts for you, the kid, obviously Kodiaks. Posted Image

#9 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:58 PM

View PostNRP, on 22 November 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

Any mech that can boat ballistics is gonna be a beast.

CTF-4X says hi.

#10 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:52 AM

I need to buy one before PGI nerfhammers hard.

You are late to the party :-)
Back when it was released for $$$ it had agility quirks (on a XL400 mech LOL), structure quirks (sic!), better torso twist and you could double tap 4xUAC10s for 80 damage without any penalty.

#11 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:01 AM

You have arrived at more accurate conclusions in the space of a few games at a friend's house than the developers of the game managed to arrive at during the entire course of the development and launch of the chassis.

#12 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:45 AM

That said some of the Kodiaks aren't that great now they've lost a lot of the quirks. Everyone just forgets the **** ones somehow. ;)

#13 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:53 PM

I actually only noticed the AC nerfs when they nerfed the Kodiak 3, I should start piloting my Kodiak 1 again now that I can no longer blame a bad game on the quirks Posted Image

#14 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:53 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 27 November 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

I actually only noticed the AC nerfs when they nerfed the Kodiak 3, I should start piloting my Kodiak 1 again now that I can no longer blame a bad game on the quirks Posted Image

Yeah I couldn't face the stigma of leveling them before except the KDK-3 which I needed for a FW event so just did its basics. Doing them with the double xp now and wow I miss those quirks. ;)

#15 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:06 PM

Well personally I prefer the Atlas over the Kodiak, The Atlas has the armour (thanks to quirks) equivilant of a 125 tonner mech with max armour while the Kodiak is a lil squishy with a huge CT and only the armour of a 100 tonner (no armour quirks). Then again Quirks are going out the window soon.

#16 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:47 AM

I find the Kodiak to be a difficult 'mech to play well, aside from the KDK-3 variant.

DHS don't cool enough to allow the Kodiak to play the energy boat that the hardpoints want it to be, and I think all of the variants aside from the -3 are stuck with a single ballistic hardpoint.

Even if two other variants had two B hardpoints, I would like the 'mech significantly more. And more missile hardpoints outside of the Spirit Bear.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users