- - - - -

Mercenary To Loyalist?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Pulse Nova

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

Hey guys, trying to figure out which Faction to join. From what I have read and seen in Youtube, I think I'd like to join a Sphere Faction. But, without getting to know the players, how does the general public choose? Can I go from being a Mercenary to Join a Faction? If I have bought a Mech that isn't in that faction what happens to it? How long till the "Trial Mechs" change and I can try new ones? Also, there's no Global Chat? I have looked up a bunch of stuff but these have not come up. Thank you.

(Also, If I join a Faction and then leave there's a Penalty?)

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

as a solo player you can create a unit, that unit can be just you, and you can take contracts as a Merc, when you find a faction where you like the player base pledge loyalty (become a loyalist) if you later break loyalty you have something like a week before you can join another faction, and you loose a percentage (I think it was ether 25 or 40, and it is late so I am not going to hunt through the patch notes to find the exact figure) of the loyalty points you earned (but not the associated rewards)

you can break a contract by disbanding the unit

#3 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

There is no reason to be a loyalist in the game as it currently stands. There is no lore or lore based events. No special benefits other than the advancement tree (and good luck climbing it given the population at the moment). In contrast, there is every reason to play as a merc. The ability to go where you will, get better rewards if you are willing to jump around, ability to play both techs (depending of course on your willingness to jump between clan and IS). Etc.

No, unless you are an old lorenerd (like me) there is zero reason to play this game as a loyalist. Hereto consider that joining a faction for the lore, when in fact there is no lore in the game, is pretty silly reasoning even if you are a total dork about it. Stay as a merc, trust me.

#4 Pulse Nova

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:26 PM

Thanks guys for making it clear. Thing is, I'm a team based player, and this is mostly a team strategic game, so yeah, being in a Faction, playing regularly with the same strategic people and making friends In Game is a big thing for me.

So thanks for your clear and to the point answers, indeed it has helped. I'm gonna play as a Merc for a while, then stick to a Faction. Thanks again for your time.

Would you be so kind as to shed light what happens to the Mechs I buy while playing as a Merc if the Faction I Join doesn't have em? (Or use em, the Info I have found in Internet and Youtube doesn't go further than that and is confusing). I would hate to grind for weeks and geek down for days to build the perfect Mech for me and watch it go.

Edited by Pulse Nova, 20 November 2016 - 03:31 PM.

#5 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:18 PM

View PostPulse Nova, on 20 November 2016 - 03:26 PM, said:

Thanks guys for making it clear. Thing is, I'm a team based player, and this is mostly a team strategic game, so yeah, being in a Faction, playing regularly with the same strategic people and making friends In Game is a big thing for me.

So thanks for your clear and to the point answers, indeed it has helped. I'm gonna play as a Merc for a while, then stick to a Faction. Thanks again for your time.

Would you be so kind as to shed light what happens to the Mechs I buy while playing as a Merc if the Faction I Join doesn't have em? (Or use em, the Info I have found in Internet and Youtube doesn't go further than that and is confusing). I would hate to grind for weeks and geek down for days to build the perfect Mech for me and watch it go.

I think you may be confusing faction with unit. A unit is just a bunch of folks who choose to play together under a common name. Unit designation has little to do with the actual game mechanics as you can be a unit of 1 member.

As a merc you can run either tech (Clan or IS) depending on where you are during a given contract period. Where you go on a week to week basis is entirely up to your unit. If your unit always decides to join, say, House Kurita (a faction) every contract period, then your clan mechs will never have the opportunity to be played in faction play. If on the other hand your unit goes clan one week (say Jade Falcon) and then Davion the following week, during your time with the Falcons you can run clan mechs, and then the next week with the Davions you run your IS mechs.

Now if you choose to be a loyalist and sign a permanent contract with say a clan faction you will never get to play your IS mechs in faction play games. The opposite is true if you are a loyalist with the IS.

Being in a faction does not affect your mech choices in QP.

In the end, I suggest you join a unit for the comradery, but make sure that unit is a mercenary one so that you will have the opportunity to play mechs of either tech base.

#6 Pulse Nova

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:50 PM

Thank you. Actually I had clear what was IS and Clan and Unit. I might be wrong, lots of info in a short period of time. Fun though.

I found this while perusing the Internet, cuz by description, I think I already know what type of Faction I will like to join if I do so (IS or Clan);

it would be helpful to new players if anyone is kind as to update this (it's from 2014), which is extremely helpful to me and to newcomers:

Clan mechs are, according to weight class:

Light: Kitfox, Adder, Mist Lynx
Medium: Nova, Stormcrow, Ice Ferret
Heavy: Summoner, Timberwolf, Hellbringer, Maddog
Assault, Warhawk, Direwolf, Gargoyle

Any mech I didn't list above is an Innersphere mech

There's a bunch more information about the difference between Faction Mechs in this link, extremely helpful to newcomers like me:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/184602-difference-between-clan-and-non-clan-mechs/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users