#21 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:56 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 28 November 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

GI is a bad mech, plain and simple.

Well, I suspect (captain obvious!) that's why they are giving it away during the event, I don't think they're selling much of them since the gauss quirk nerf.

#22 Arianrhod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:56 PM

For maximum edginess, mount a Gauss rifle with three tons of ammo and an ER PPC in the right arm for a nifty 25 point PPFLD alpha, and try to consistently poke around the right side of things. Use a standard engine only and ditch almost all the armor on the left side of the mech. I run 5 on the front left ST an 1 on the back, and 0 armor on the left arm, because who needs that junk. Then take most of the armor off of the head, stripping it down to 2 or 4 points, and take a couple points from each leg while you're at it. You won't need it where you're going. Remember that having armor is easy mode and laugh as the enemy rapidly destroys your left side torso, because You Didn't Need That Anyway. Sure, you might get headshotted by an airstrike, but what's life without a little danger?

#23 NameNotAvailable

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:26 AM

After trying just about every build I could think of, I ended up with this as by far the most succesful
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1f99cd7ffd9b2f4
AC20, 2ML, std260. You have your left arm and torso to shield with, so survivability goes up a lot, its nice and fast too. Just make sure you stay with the group, if you go off solo, you're too squishy, but supporting heavies and assaults, you can put a lot of hurt on enemies.

#24 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:21 AM

View PostNameNotAvailable, on 01 December 2016 - 04:26 AM, said:

After trying just about every build I could think of, I ended up with this as by far the most succesful
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1f99cd7ffd9b2f4
AC20, 2ML, std260. You have your left arm and torso to shield with, so survivability goes up a lot, its nice and fast too. Just make sure you stay with the group, if you go off solo, you're too squishy, but supporting heavies and assaults, you can put a lot of hurt on enemies.

I think it's a fine build -- but I'd put it in the Hunchie 4G base model. That one gets 25% quirks for AC/20 range, velocity and cooldown, while the Grid Iron only gets 20% cooldown. The range and velocity quirks are something of a game changer for me, because they transform the AC/20 into a viable mid-range weapon.

I haven't decided what to do with my Grid Iron yet... contemplating STD200, 2xUAC5 with 7 tons ammo, ML in head. Think Mini-Jager.

Edited by jss78, 01 December 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#25 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:14 PM

Uh... have fun outrunning Direwolves.

#26 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

What if I told you the Gauss is better on the 4G and the AC20 is better on the Grid Iron...............?

I wouldn't get too focused on the cooldown quirks. Both are weapons with limited ammo, so shots are taken with a bit more care.

For me, the structure quirks and srm secondary weapon of the GI suit the engagement profile of the AC20 more. The crit chance and velocity quirks of the 4G suit the gauss. They both still have good generic cooldown quirks.

Fighting with an AC20 on a 50 tonner mandates getting close and taking a quick shot with lots of torso twisting, even before you see your shot land. Fighting with a gauss on a 50 tonner means not getting the thing exploding once your minimal armour has been stripped.

Also, those range and velocity quirks, while great for and AC20. are freakin' awesome for a gauss.

The Gridiron works much better as :-

SP style but with an LBX and asrm6, both being the only hunchies with full body structure quirks. Cooldown module for the LBX only and you get a nice sync up of two lbx shots to one srm.

Dual AC5 and LRM5 long range harasser, or with srm for up close blap.

Dual UAC5, which gives Lobsters the biggest hard-on of the three. Nice. Tight. High. Shoulder. Autocannons.

And of course AC20 and srm.

If the Grid Iron was a cbill mech, I'd own four.

Don't worry though, the AC20 4g is still the OG.

Ed. all of that with a STD250

Edited by The Lobsters, 01 December 2016 - 03:36 PM.

#27 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:18 AM

Got mine the other day and it's been a mixed bag. I kept the Gauss rifle in place and applied the level 5 cooldown module to it seeing as I could borrow it from another mech. It shoots pretty fast with that setup but the charge time is still a killer should the distance be closed by an enemy. I've messed around with laser loadouts and settled on 3x ML. I kept the SRM6 for now and find it useful enough. Now I'm debating on whether to spend the bills to pick up two additional variants so I can elite them all or not.

As a heavy and assault player, this mech is definitely taking an acclimation period.

#28 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:30 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 28 November 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

GI is a bad mech, plain and simple. There are other 50-tonner that will earn you C-bills more consistently. It is not meta.

Therefore I give you this: DERP IRON LRM20+A AC2 2xML TAG.
At least you can test the buffs LRM20 and the AC2 received in the latest patch.

Revised for more poking and indirect fire.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...195eea2a0ec978f

Here is my actual current build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e9cd72fecf63fc2
My concept is more of an up-close fire support for the heavies. Not much of an alpha, but I think it can scare away lights.

Though this might actually be better to provide constant fire support.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...69d672e9a1ca1a3

Then I had this fever dream:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bfa697a6a9bad32
It's probably a terrible idea.

Edited by ScottAleric, 02 December 2016 - 10:50 AM.

#29 Single Mom

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

View PostGrumpyMuppet, on 20 November 2016 - 08:05 PM, said:

Just to be clear. I have the G: "best ac20 in the game". Thanks to the quirks. It is good fun. But it means I won't run the ac20 on the gridiron.

I hadn't considered the ac10 nor the 5&2 combination, thanks for the suggestion. Do the uac5 & ac2 both fit, seem like a good combo... kinda a wannabe Dakka.

Its pretty much a wanna be everything. Gauss CD is a bad quirk, as it 1) breaks cooldown synch with PPCs and 2) encourages higher gauss face time, which is bad. Moreover this thing cant even jump. Meanwhile its beaten handily by other 50 tonners at dakka and brawl. Being passed out as a reward for a football themed event is about the most fitting thing this mech has ever done since being nerfed.

That being said, it has been wonderful encountering these Gauss wannabes that cant poptart and refuses to twist in order to milk that gauss cooldown.

#30 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

Soooo

I've been running this now for a few games, and I'm doing pretty well with it, I think.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a3b45257e24d4d4
The lower speed takes a minute to get used to, but you can keep up with the assaults for the most part. The other option is to drop a ton of ammo to get a third MLas, but then you might run into heat issues

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users