Explosion Framerate Issues

7 replies to this topic

#1 Remillard

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:27 PM

I guess I'm not really a new player, but recently have come back to the game. I don't remember this being as much an issue before. Maybe it's the result of a resurgence in dakka and SRM brawling.

Anyhow, the problem I seem to be having is whenever the viewscreen has to render explosions, my frame rate drops to the point where I lose control of the mech. I'm not running this on a potato, the video card is a Radeon 7950 which still manages everything in the game quite well -- save for the explosions.

And I realize there's supposed to be a disorientation element, and it's not the fact that I can't see that's the issue, but really when it renders those explosions, I cannot twist or move the mouse. Keyboard commands still work and presumably the mouse aiming is still working, but hte engine is lagging in updating the viewscreen.

Is there a way to tone down just explosions by themselves? Honestly I love the fact that I get great FPS during most of the stomping around part. Lasers don't seem to bother me. It's very specifically if I take autocannon or SRM fire to the face.

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:46 PM

turn down your graphics settings, easy as that.

#3 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:47 PM

I notice this as well, mine does this about 5 percent of the time taking damage. It may be more from the sound hardware slash software. May be worth checking into your sound card drivers and honestly I need to do the same thing. Unfortunately I have windows 7 and I can not rely on window drivers to properly update so I'm not sure if there is a way around this. Anyways good luck hope you can find your issue. Of course check your video drivers but guessing your already have done that.

#4 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:54 PM

Are you sure your FPS drops a lot? Because blinding and screen shake is intentional effect of many guns and builds.

And definetly your graphics card should have no problem with any graphics, unless you have low CPU..

If problem is definetly FPS drop then lower the graphics settings a bit. I guess it may be possible to turn some features too far (like antialias) which may then cause slowdown in speficic situations.

#5 Remillard

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:12 AM

It drops significantly. I do realize that cockpit shake and the windscreen being obscured by explosion is part of the effect, however I find that I'm usually torso twisting at this point, but things like the minimap are not updating to show visual cone, etc. Maybe I really AM torso twisting and I just need to wait for the graphics to catch up.

And yeah, may have been a dumb question, but some games have particular renderers for various effects and maybe there was one for explosion effects. I'll check the game when I get home from work.

#6 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

Bad game engine. This game technically sucks as hell. It looks ugly and still it asks for very strong hardware. Developers are amateurs who didnt any kind of progress for more then 2 years so do not hope for any change in short time.

#7 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:22 AM

turn your particle effects to low,i have a 1080 gtx and 6700K and if i try to play particles on high,the frames are all over the place

#8 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:33 AM

I had the same problem and only turning particles to low fixed it for me.

Here is a possible technical explanation:
I guess on any other settings than low additional transparent effects will be rendered. Problem is that transparency usually scales badly. The engine can't just simply draw the topmost effect but instead has to account for the pixels of all underlaying effects and the background. So the more layers of transparent effects you have, the more calculations have to be made.

Now imagine a 6x C-UAC5 Dire Wolf whose double-tap alpha spits out 24 projectiles within a short time frame each causing an explosion consisting of several transparent effects like fire, dust, lighting. I guess in this case the engine has to render more than 100 transparency layers in one spot.

If you target something further away this is managable because only a small part of the screen has to be rendered, that's why most players have no problem when using such high-projectile builds. But if you fire an alpha directly in front of you or you get hit in the cockpit by those the effect will occupy a majority of your screen which is too much to handle for many computers.

On my machine doing this easily drops my framerate down to a 1-digit number when i have particles on any other setting then low. Posted Image

Edited by Daggett, 27 November 2016 - 09:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users