How Do Sensors Work?

12 replies to this topic

#1 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:53 PM

Do allied mechs share all data that comes from sensors? Like every enemy, every targeted enemy etc?

#2 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:41 PM

If someone has the mech locked, and they have the "info gathered" and you lock that target, then you get all the info instantly.. If not, you have to "info gather" yourself...

just another reason why people say "LOCK TARGETS" because it helps everyone, not just LRM users..

#3 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:04 PM

Okay, and if someone, like Light Scout Mech rushes ahead the hill and gets 12 enemy mechs on his radar do everybody in party share the radar information and see those 12 enemy mechs on their gridmap?

#4 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:13 PM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 21 November 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

Okay, and if someone, like Light Scout Mech rushes ahead the hill and gets 12 enemy mechs on his radar do everybody in party share the radar information and see those 12 enemy mechs on their gridmap?

No. A hollow triangle (aka dorrito) means nobody has the target locked. You can only lock and transmit target data of 1 mech at a time.

A UAV however will transmit everything within its range.

#5 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:44 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 21 November 2016 - 07:13 PM, said:

No. A hollow triangle (aka dorrito) means nobody has the target locked. You can only lock and transmit target data of 1 mech at a time.

A UAV however will transmit everything within its range.

To expand on this a little bit, you'll see hollow triangles for mechs which you could lock, and aren't currently being locked.

If your light peeks around a corner, sees 5 hollow triangles, and just locks one, the teammates will only see the one locked enemy, they won't see the 4 other enemies. This is why scouting mechs will quickly cycle through enemies, and then usually settle in on one target. If you have LRMs equipped, don't launch at the first notice, unless you want your missiles to lose their lock right away and land in the dirt.

If you see a field of hollow triangles pop up, and one is filled in, that is the mech currently being targeted by another friendly.

While it might seem like a good idea to hold a lock on as many enemies as possible, it's usually best to focus fire down one mech at a time. Which mech that is (and whether your initial lock by teammate was the right choice) is up for debate, but generally you want to take down priority targets first. This means that focusing down their highest damaging mechs can help snowball an engagement for you vs. damaging two to three enemies at once, even if you are causing them to play more cautiously.

#6 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:45 PM

View PostBoulangerie, on 21 November 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

While it might seem like a good idea to hold a lock on as many enemies as possible, it's usually best to focus fire down one mech at a time. Which mech that is (and whether your initial lock by teammate was the right choice) is up for debate, but generally you want to take down priority targets first. This means that focusing down their highest damaging mechs can help snowball an engagement for you vs. damaging two to three enemies at once, even if you are causing them to play more cautiously.

Taken further, even if the first choice from another teammate was the wrong choice (priority targets, etc) but you can be focusing him, focus him. Killing a mech, even a lower priority target, faster is better than damaging two separate targets but killing none.

Obviously, if you can't effectively fire at the "focused" target, fire at whoever you can, but if you CAN focus fire, you want to do so in most circumstances.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:51 PM

The triangle information is now outdated, months ago they changed thar to diamonds, the lines in the diamond indicate what weight class.

The only way you see Mechs on the HUD that wou do not have line of sight on are if the Mech is targeted bu an ally, NARCed or within range of a freindly UAV.

Your "sensors" detect everything you can see provided it is within sensor range (usually 800m but can be increases with some peices of equipment) if the enemy is protected by ECM that can greatly reduce detection range, and if the Mech powers down they dissapear from sensors

#8 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:03 AM

They are still triagles visually. commonly called doritos. In the field, not in radar.

#9 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:48 AM

View PostBoulangerie, on 21 November 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

While it might seem like a good idea to hold a lock on as many enemies as possible, it's usually best to focus fire down one mech at a time.

While i agree with you on focusing down the biggest threats, there are circumstances where locking as many enemies as possible is the way to go.

Map awareness is almost equally important than focus fire, so when i'm missing the range to help focusing i'll always try to lock the hollow triangles to provide my team with as much information about enemy positions as possible.

#10 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:52 AM

One important condiseration about UAVs that wasn't mentioned is that UAVs do NOT provide target info, beyond what the mechs are. In order to see which weapons they have, you, or someone on your team, must get a visual on the enemy. Still, UAVs are extremely helpful for locating priority targets, like assaults and mechs with ECM, and also identifying enemy movements. I always carry a UAV in every mech, and tend to use them every match.

#11 Ballimbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:07 AM

If I'm not wrong and fooling myself, G4lv4tron is not only asking about the HUD (aka what you see "looking out of your cockpit"), but also what is shown on the minimap ("Radar").

Since I've just retaken play after a pause (and not fully sure, what was maybe changed along with the Diamonds) - may I ask some fellow Mechwarrior to just clarify:
What are the conditions for the enemy blips (Diamonds) showing up on one's minimap / battlegrid? (not on the HUD)

#12 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:03 AM

you can get one locked.. but targeting it, then using command wheel, and one of the lock functions, call target or something like that.. then it will stay on the grid for a bit, even if not locked..

the diamonds, are only for UAV's which can show direction, or a locked target.. also, some have a line, others squares.. and there is another, i forget.. but that indicates if it is assault, medium or light.. when you see your teamates on load, you can see which is which.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 22 November 2016 - 01:03 AM, said:

They are still triagles visually. commonly called doritos. In the field, not in radar.

yes there is still the triangle above the Mechs head, but I have always used the compass for seeing what is targeted and they are now the diamands same as the minimap, so that was what I assumed peple were talking about.

sorry for any confusion caused

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users