My 3D Mech Models

9 replies to this topic

#1 Xazeroth

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:34 AM

Greetings everyone Posted Image

My name is Kamil and I'm a 3D artist. I love hardsurface modelling so it was only a matter of time until I stumbled upon this website and this awesome game while I was searching the net for robot/android and mech concepts to get some inspiration.

To my amazement, it turned out that Piranha Games released their models' blueprints (ortho projections) which to a 3D hardsurface guy is like Christmas came earlier.

I've decided to model out a couple of their awesome mechs - tell me what you think.

Modelling the basic shapes took about 8 hours. Adding fine details took about 5-6. Shading will take more then that I think.

So here is my version of the Raven with some basic shaders on. (Mesh edges show slight wear n tear of the metal pieces - some adjustments need to be done here). Decals, grime and scratches next.

Posted Image

And here is the final render Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Xazeroth, 27 November 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:47 AM

interesting how close it come to the MWO Mech.

But there are some differences - would be great to place the MWO Raven next to your version (to use them is not very hard)

#3 Xazeroth

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:58 AM

Karl: That's the plan. I just wanted a rough reference, so I looked up some images online as well as took a look at the ortho projections. I didn't really want to make an exact copy, there's no point in that + it's very difficult:)
Once I add the details in it will differ even more - that's the whole beauty of 3D modelling.

But yea, I think your idea is cool, I'll find an image of the Raven online, and I'll pose mine in a similar fashion for comparison Posted Image

Edit: Also, I treat this as a nice addition to my skill set - the way they use beveling in their models (at least that's my assumption by looking at the images and the models in game) is pretty awesome, so its quite useful to learn how they do it.

Edited by Xazeroth, 22 November 2016 - 03:16 AM.

#4 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:27 AM

View PostXazeroth, on 22 November 2016 - 02:58 AM, said:

Karl: That's the plan. I just wanted a rough reference, so I looked up some images online as well as took a look at the ortho projections. I didn't really want to make an exact copy, there's no point in that + it's very difficult:)
Once I add the details in it will differ even more - that's the whole beauty of 3D modelling.

But yea, I think your idea is cool, I'll find an image of the Raven online, and I'll pose mine in a similar fashion for comparison Posted Image

Edit: Also, I treat this as a nice addition to my skill set - the way they use beveling in their models (at least that's my assumption by looking at the images and the models in game) is pretty awesome, so its quite useful to learn how they do it.

why compare with images - use the 3D model - and if you don't want to run the procedure by Heffay - search the internet there are some MWO Mechs print-ready:

#5 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:51 PM

Curious where did you find the orthos for older mechs like the Raven? They have been doing it for the concept art on many new models, but I haven't been able to find many for the old ones. Looks good sir :D

#6 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:01 PM

Are those supposed to be PPCs or lasers with barrels?
I mean, i don't think a Raven would be able to run 4 PPCs and 2 SRM-6s and 2 AMS systems (that's like 35 tons in and of themselves, without even taking ammo into account).

Good bloody work though!

#7 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:06 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 22 November 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

Are those supposed to be PPCs or lasers with barrels?
I mean, i don't think a Raven would be able to run 4 PPCs and 2 SRM-6s and 2 AMS systems (that's like 35 tons in and of themselves, without even taking ammo into account).

Good bloody work though!

well this are real medium lasers - or Infantry Support PPCs Posted Image

#8 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:05 AM

View PostXazeroth, on 22 November 2016 - 02:58 AM, said:

I think they use normal maps for beveling details. Every polygon you can save is worth it for performance.

#9 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:28 PM

Looks great so far! That last image with all the tiny details makes me pretty excited to see how this turns out. I'm really liking the direction you are taking this.

#10 Xazeroth

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hey Armyunit and Juodas! That's for the positive feedback. I'll keep you all posted as I move on to different parts of the mech :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users