19 replies to this topic

#1 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 401 posts
  • LocationComStar Cafeteria

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:13 PM

I am currently using the Cyclops 10-Q. It has 2 Energy and 7 missile hard points. What I am using right now is 2 Er large lasers and 7 sets of regular Srm 4's. To me it seems I am getting the most out of my missiles by doing it this way. I woildnt have enough room to do 7 sets of Srm 6's because of the lasers. And even though it's only two laser hard points I definitely need those.

My question is should I keep using the regular Srms or upgrade to Artemis which would knock me down to about 4 Srms since Artemis takes up more slots. For those of you Pilots who specialize with Srms, what do you think? Is Artemis really worth it when using Srms?

#2 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:24 PM

With specifically IS srm4's you can skip the artemis, they're accurate enough to not take it. With IS srm6, clan4, clan6 you want the artemis if you have the room due to the increased spread.

#3 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:25 PM

2 and 4 are pretty decent without Artemis, 4 can be better with Artemis, but 6 requires Artemis.

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:26 PM

IIRC, the ideal builds are either 7xSRM4+Artemis or 7x SRM6 without it, on an XL390 with some Medium Pulse backups.

If you are doing SRMs with this 'Mech, it's really best to go all-in on it.

For me, I will use Artemis on SRM6 almost always. I find that the extra damage dealt by SRM6 gets spread around and that SRM4 with artemis will do the same effective damage to a single component, making it more tonnage-, slot-, ammo-, and heat-efficient than SRM6 without Artemis.

SRM4, I'm okay with not having Artemis depending on the 'Mech. The MAD-5D and BJ-2, for example, have excellent grouping even without it because the launchers are so tightly packed. The Catapult, on the other hand, is pretty miserable since the launchers are spread so far apart.

SRM2, never, ever take Artemis. While you will get a launcher that does pinpoint damage if you do, it's pointless since the missiles are close enough even without it that you will normally get all of them on one component.

For Clan SRMs, always take Artemis unless it's a cSRM2.

#5 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:30 PM

SRM4As are probably the best option for this heavy of a boat. When you're leaning that hard on SRMs, and carrying so many, ammo efficiency actually starts meaning something.

That being said, I'd personally take SRM6x7, but that's because I like my SRMs sloppy. I run my CPLT-A1 with SRM6x6s, and it's hilarious.

Edited by Bombast, 25 November 2016 - 07:30 PM.

#6 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:48 PM

1 to 3 missile hardpoints SRM6's are good.

3 to 4+ missile hardpoints SRM2's and SRM4's are good.

The cons of SRM6's heat past 3 hardpoints aren't worth it, unless you're a pure missile hardpoints with alot of heatsinks.

So for that clops SRM2's and SRM4's are a better bet with other weapons, if you're running pure missiles then SRM6A's.

Edited by GrimRiver, 25 November 2016 - 07:48 PM.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:53 PM

SRM6s are fine without Artemis at around 150 meter range or below. Beyond that they spread out too much to focus on a single component. Spread could help against pesky Lights, though...

#8 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

I mostly play with my Centurion As with 270mm Zombbie brawler builds. I have Artemis on all of them but to be honest, I'd be more worried about heat than Artemis. Being able to launch all missiles consistently until your target is destroyed in a brawl without shutting down would be ideal

#9 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:56 PM

Non-artemis SRM's are good with LBX when working with more limited tonnage, like a standard engine build or really fast medium. Artemis SRM's are good alone, but are better paired with more precise weapons like pulse lasers or normal/uac autocannons, as the SRM's are more precise.

So crit seeking or precision.

#10 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:00 PM

Srm4a, with the magic being 180m. At about 180m the missiles in srm4a converge very tight and you'll puke up 60+ damage to a single ST on most targets.

You're better off going with 6xsrm4as than 7x srm4s, better heat efficiency means you'll get more work out of them.

Use MPLs, go all in with the SRMs.

I know not having long range weapons feels problematic but the point is to focus on what you do best. A 35 ton rave is better with 2 erlls than the Cyclops is - odds are good you'll be "losing trades" in the bigger, slower Clops. Sray in cover and save your armor for the brawl. The Atlas and KDK3 dakka boats are the only thing that can out-BOOm you at close range - both however are notorious for drawing focused fire.

So you stay in cover, stay with the core of your team. If they push, stay in the middle and set up "bombing runs". Pick a target on the fringe who you can hit and get back from. The bigger the better, KDK/Atlas first. Ideal target is one set up for range and focused on someone else. You're ~3 licks to center of the biggest enemies. If you can surprise them with the first hit you'll kill them first, no question.

If your team is cautious, set an ambush and stay out of sight. Try to see where they're going to come at you from. Watch your teammates, see who is poking most frequently and expect a couple enemy to try and move up on him. Be waiting. If you come face to face with a fresh KDK or Atlas you'll probably lose - what you want is to be fresh while they've taken some hits and are already soft. Always focus CT.

6xSRM4A, 2 MPL, biggest engine you can make fit with the smmo and heat needs. That will teach you to position well and has huge payoffs for good positioning - 80+ pt alpha that, with a 0.5 sec delay 3x4/3x4 plus the MPLs you'll get 2 alphas you can walk away from and a 3rd if you can risk the overheat.

Again, a good build for learning positioning and reading your team and the enemy.

#11 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 401 posts
  • LocationComStar Cafeteria

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:09 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 25 November 2016 - 08:00 PM, said:

Srm4a, with the magic being 180m. At about 180m the missiles in srm4a converge very tight and you'll puke up 60+ damage to a single ST on most targets.

You're better off going with 6xsrm4as than 7x srm4s, better heat efficiency means you'll get more work out of them.

Use MPLs, go all in with the SRMs.

I know not having long range weapons feels problematic but the point is to focus on what you do best. A 35 ton rave is better with 2 erlls than the Cyclops is - odds are good you'll be "losing trades" in the bigger, slower Clops. Sray in cover and save your armor for the brawl. The Atlas and KDK3 dakka boats are the only thing that can out-BOOm you at close range - both however are notorious for drawing focused fire.

So you stay in cover, stay with the core of your team. If they push, stay in the middle and set up "bombing runs". Pick a target on the fringe who you can hit and get back from. The bigger the better, KDK/Atlas first. Ideal target is one set up for range and focused on someone else. You're ~3 licks to center of the biggest enemies. If you can surprise them with the first hit you'll kill them first, no question.

If your team is cautious, set an ambush and stay out of sight. Try to see where they're going to come at you from. Watch your teammates, see who is poking most frequently and expect a couple enemy to try and move up on him. Be waiting. If you come face to face with a fresh KDK or Atlas you'll probably lose - what you want is to be fresh while they've taken some hits and are already soft. Always focus CT.

6xSRM4A, 2 MPL, biggest engine you can make fit with the smmo and heat needs. That will teach you to position well and has huge payoffs for good positioning - 80+ pt alpha that, with a 0.5 sec delay 3x4/3x4 plus the MPLs you'll get 2 alphas you can walk away from and a 3rd if you can risk the overheat.

Again, a good build for learning positioning and reading your team and the enemy.

Great advice everyone. Yeah I am going to go with the Artemis 6x Srm 6s. The range on my IS Srm 4s is 270 meters which is great but I need more punch. Yeah I'll downgrade to MPL instead of ErLL. And yeah I have run into KDK and Atlas today. MOST of the time I didn't make it too long but I did damage them intensely. I did however come.face to face wjth a KDK and took him out while focusing on one hit box. I OVERHEATED but I still took him out. As for mediums they don't stand a chance if I'm in the groove

#12 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:23 PM

View PostNathaniel Johns, on 25 November 2016 - 07:13 PM, said:

I am currently using the Cyclops 10-Q. It has 2 Energy and 7 missile hard points. What I am using right now is 2 Er large lasers and 7 sets of regular Srm 4's. To me it seems I am getting the most out of my missiles by doing it this way. I woildnt have enough room to do 7 sets of Srm 6's because of the lasers. And even though it's only two laser hard points I definitely need those.

My question is should I keep using the regular Srms or upgrade to Artemis which would knock me down to about 4 Srms since Artemis takes up more slots. For those of you Pilots who specialize with Srms, what do you think? Is Artemis really worth it when using Srms?

Everyone swears by Artemis but honestly I much prefer to use standards and bring extra ammo & heatsinks.

That opinion will not be popular though.

This is my Splatcrow: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...09d96cb58a5ff41 (obviously not armor-configured)

Edited by Yosharian, 26 November 2016 - 01:30 PM.

#13 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:30 PM

It depends on the mech. Cyclops missile hardpoints are nice and clustered so the SRM4s are great even without Artemis upgrade.

Stormcrow, on the other hand, has its missile hardpoints pretty spread out so Artemis is almost mandatory.

#14 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:12 AM

View PostNathaniel Johns, on 25 November 2016 - 07:13 PM, said:

Get rid of the useless ERLLs, get rid of the CT-based SRM, put Artemis and lots of heat sinks on, profit. This thing one-shots mediums from 250m, thats how tight SRM packs on Cyclops are.

#15 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:36 AM

My rule is, SRM 2 = no, SRM 6 = yes (always), SRM 4 = depends on how big the chassis' is, you might not be able to make that sacrifice. What's a weird thought on small mechs, with the Huginn, I didnt need as much ammo with SRM4's to achieve the same results. So it make killing quicker but it didnt save weight because the extra weight from Arti was lost from Ammo.

It's a tough choice but ya gotta make it depending on the chassis.

#16 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:41 AM

Thing with SRMs on Assaults is you're going to be taking a lot of shots from beyond the ideal range, being slow and all, which warrants Artemis on 4s and 6s regardless of inherent clustering for precision at optimal range and solid hits beyond it.

Personally, I'd go with 4xASRM4, 3xASRM6 found here. 4s in 1 group, 6s in another.

#17 Remillard

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:00 AM

I've been running the 6 SRM6+A build on the Cyclops over the weekend and it was a lot of fun. I kept them ganged together in a left/right group of 3 and tried to just ensure good fire discipline not to alpha with it due to the limit of 4 for ghost heat.

With the SRM range module, you can get out to 297m.

In the same vein, the STK-5M runs 5 of these and has range out to 310m or so and runs a little faster so I think in general I prefer that one, but the Splatterclops was still a lot of fun and one of my more successful Cyclops (2nd to 4xUAC5 Sleipnir which is just a beast.)

#18 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:07 AM

Only really worth taking with SRM6's

I do sometimes use Six's with artemis, but a lot of times, I'd rather take multiples of SRM 4 than SARM 6 smaller alpha, but less weight, less space, shorter cool down, tighter group.

#19 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:20 AM

Basic rule of the thumb :
IS Srm 6 is the only one that requires Artemis there. Srm4/2 can go without.
Clans have a bigger spread overally so you can go with artemis from Srm4 (I don't, but im just a suicidal maniac).
And on cyclops - go with 2x3 srm6+artemis. and watch people falling to pieces and running away from you yelling in their voice comms "splat cyclops pushing us in!!!"

#20 QuantumButler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

Always take Artemis if you can afford the investment and it doesn't ruin the build due to the extra crit slots [EG, art is bad on the 4srm4 1lbx10 Shadowhawk since it prevents you from running 4 srm4s due to there only being one crit in the head], except for 2s, don't use those except in one or two very specific cases.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users