19 replies to this topic

#1 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:20 AM

Lets say, for the sake of argument, that I really like my CTF-3D.
I've Elite'd the mech and all that.

Then let's say, again for the sake of argument, that I really want to get the (C) version (what with the 50% discount right now), to get the bonus whenever I pilot it.

I'm (reasonably) sure that the skills will transfer from the 3D to the 3D(C) (right?), so I'm good with that.
But what about how it shows on the Pilot Stats?
Will the CTF-3D stack with the CTF-3D(C) or will they be separate entries?

I suppose it's ultimately a minor issue, but I'm doing data analytics on my performance and a change like this might throw some wrenches into the monkey.
Anyway, thanks!

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:54 AM

View PostScottAleric, on 28 November 2016 - 11:20 AM, said:

Lets say, for the sake of argument, that I really like my CTF-3D.
I've Elite'd the mech and all that.

Then let's say, again for the sake of argument, that I really want to get the (C) version (what with the 50% discount right now), to get the bonus whenever I pilot it.

I'm (reasonably) sure that the skills will transfer from the 3D to the 3D(C) (right?), so I'm good with that.
But what about how it shows on the Pilot Stats?
Will the CTF-3D stack with the CTF-3D(C) or will they be separate entries?

I suppose it's ultimately a minor issue, but I'm doing data analytics on my performance and a change like this might throw some wrenches into the monkey.
Anyway, thanks!

Identical in all accounts.
3D is 3D(C) and 3D(C) is 3D.

The bonus is simply an XP bonus.... so the only real benefit is that you'll also get an equal bonus to GXP earned (which is HARD as heck to get).

Stats, skill tree, etc. are All Identical. You'll just have an extra, extraneous entry.

#3 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:07 PM

Oh right - the (C) grants XP bonus, not C-bill

Hm. Maybe I won't get it, then.
Thanks!

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:13 PM

View PostScottAleric, on 28 November 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

Oh right - the (C) grants XP bonus, not C-bill

Hm. Maybe I won't get it, then.
Thanks!

Best to snag heroes for the cbill bonuses. :)
You're welcome.

They're also unique from standard mechs. Champions are just identical to standard mechs you can get for cbills, so you can get "them: without spending a penny (or getting the XP bonus) if you wanted.

#5 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:00 PM

Yeah.
I can see the point in getting the (C) if you're starting a new mech chassis.
E.g. I'm going to end up with the Gridiron from this Kerensky Bowl event, and after spectating and talking to friends, I'm going to get the 4P as well - so I might as well get the (C) while it's cheap.

But since I've already leveled the CTF, I might as well not spend the MC to upgrade the one mech.
Instead I'll probably get the WHM-BW, or the Sleipnir for the lulz (though the recent AC nerf may make me re-think that decision)

I have a few days to consider it tho.

#6 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:31 PM

Also, the CTF-3D champion comes with a standard engine, as opposed to the original's XL, which are significantly more expensive, so I don't think you're really getting your money's worth out of the MC you'd spend on it.

#7 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:06 PM

View PostTorezu, on 28 November 2016 - 01:31 PM, said:

Also, the CTF-3D champion comes with a standard engine, as opposed to the original's XL, which are significantly more expensive, so I don't think you're really getting your money's worth out of the MC you'd spend on it.

Setting aside which engine goes better into that mech...

You're forgetting that I'd just de-equip the old non (C) chassis and re-equip it all onto the new (C) chassis. It wouldn't cost any extra C-Bills, and in fact, I'd sell the old non (C) chassis, and recoup a few C-Bills.

#8 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:34 PM

View PostScottAleric, on 28 November 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

Setting aside which engine goes better into that mech...

You're forgetting that I'd just de-equip the old non (C) chassis and re-equip it all onto the new (C) chassis. It wouldn't cost any extra C-Bills, and in fact, I'd sell the old non (C) chassis, and recoup a few C-Bills.

I've done that a few times.

#9 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:23 AM

View PostScottAleric, on 28 November 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

Yeah.
E.g. I'm going to end up with the Gridiron from this Kerensky Bowl event, and after spectating and talking to friends, I'm going to get the 4P as well - so I might as well get the (C) while it's cheap.

But since I've already leveled the CTF, I might as well not spend the MC to upgrade the one mech.
Instead I'll probably get the WHM-BW, or the Sleipnir for the lulz (though the recent AC nerf may make me re-think that decision)

I thought you said it was only for argument sake! Now we have to reanalyze the advice!

#10 Single Mom

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:30 AM

View PostScottAleric, on 28 November 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

Yeah.

As mentioned before, the bonus xp you get from them is useless once you master the champion variant. Sure, you can cough up money to convert xp, but if your goal is to improve your game play, you'll end up playing plenty of games that exp isnt an issue anyway. Champion mechs are a shortcut to no where.

#11 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:27 AM

View PostSingle Mom, on 29 November 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

As mentioned before, the bonus xp you get from them is useless once you master the champion variant. Sure, you can cough up money to convert xp, but if your goal is to improve your game play, you'll end up playing plenty of games that exp isnt an issue anyway. Champion mechs are a shortcut to no where.

I wouldn't say a shortcut to nowhere. It's never going to hurt to get a bonus for something you're going to do anyway.
But in this case, the CTF-3D - well, it's a good enough mech, but I've got more fun ones to play and level up.

e.g. I'm getting the HBK-GI from the event, so I used the sale to get the HBK-4P(C), since I'm going to level up the chassis. I'm pleased with it so far, and the bonus XP doesn't hurt either.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:13 AM

The main use I have had for champion Mechs is getting the useful engines cheep, the Spider comes with an XL 280, the Firestarter has an XL295, the Jenner a 300 and the Cicada a 340. All of which are engine sizes I ise on several Mechs, so half an hours wages vs 4 hours woth of ingame income for an engine
I often thaught "real money" worked out better value (although with my current mountin of cbills that is no longer the case)

#13 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:56 AM

View PostScottAleric, on 29 November 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

e.g. I'm getting the HBK-GI from the event, so I used the sale to get the HBK-4P(C), since I'm going to level up the chassis. I'm pleased with it so far, and the bonus XP doesn't hurt either.

What event?

#14 Single Mom

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

View PostScottAleric, on 29 November 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

I wouldn't say a shortcut to nowhere. It's never going to hurt to get a bonus for something you're going to do anyway.
But in this case, the CTF-3D - well, it's a good enough mech, but I've got more fun ones to play and level up.

What your $ is worth to you is your own business. How many games do you suppose a 30% xp bonus is going to save you towards mastery? And more importantly, if you enjoy the mech already, then why do you need to master it in as few games as possible? It would seem that you'd master it pretty quickly anyway since you enjoy playing the mech?

#15 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:57 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 29 November 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

What event?

I can't decide if you're being sarcastic or not, so here you go.

https://mwomercs.com/tournaments

You're way too late to get the Grid Iron, though, if you haven't been playing.

#16 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:00 PM

View PostSingle Mom, on 29 November 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

How many games do you suppose a 30% xp bonus is going to save you towards mastery? And more importantly, if you enjoy the mech already, then why do you need to master it in as few games as possible? It would seem that you'd master it pretty quickly anyway since you enjoy playing the mech?

Why wouldn't I master it in as few games as possible? Having the mech performing sub-optimally is well, sub-optimal.
Also...
The XP bonus goes to GXP too, you know...

#17 Single Mom

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:53 PM

View PostScottAleric, on 29 November 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

Why wouldn't I master it in as few games as possible? Having the mech performing sub-optimally is well, sub-optimal.
Also...
The XP bonus goes to GXP too, you know...

How many games could you possibly shave off of mastering a mech with 30%? It takes 56,750 xp to master a mech from nothing. Lets say you get 1500 xp per game disregarding 2x bonuses, thats 38 games. Is shaving 9 games to mastery worth $10 (sale price). Maybe it is to you, from my perspective there's no value.

GXP is fairly useless once you unlock what you want. But assuming you're still grinding your way up, at 1:20 your 30% bonus gxp is gonna come out to a fairly petty amount.

But like I said before, your opinion of value is your own.

#18 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:14 AM

View PostSingle Mom, on 29 November 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

How many games could you possibly shave off of mastering a mech with 30%? It takes 56,750 xp to master a mech from nothing. Lets say you get 1500 xp per game disregarding 2x bonuses, thats 38 games. Is shaving 9 games to mastery worth $10 (sale price). Maybe it is to you, from my perspective there's no value.

GXP is fairly useless once you unlock what you want. But assuming you're still grinding your way up, at 1:20 your 30% bonus gxp is gonna come out to a fairly petty amount.

Wait, $10? what are you talking about??
The HBK 4P(C) is 900MC sale; which is $5.04 at the worst MC buy rate, but clearly less than that considering MC rewards and higher MC buy values (so it could be cheaper than $3.60, if I bought the highest amount of MC), and even less than THAT considering the 20% MC bonus sale that happened last week)

Maybe you're talking about the CTF, but I had already decided against it.
At worst its $13.84 and best it's $9.89... so yeah, okay. you must be talking about the CTF.

I also have a hard time wrapping my mind around how 30% bonus is "a fairly petty amount"
I certainly wouldn't turn down a 30% raise, would you?

Here's another way to look at it. California (where I am) minimum wage is $10/hour.
At my play times, and in a heavy, It takes a rough average of about 15 minutes from initiation of a game to returning to the lobby - 4 matches per hour.
I assume my entertainment value is equivalent to minimum wage (i.e. I can hire someone at minimum wage to entertain me). So this means to play those 9 games, I'm spending $22.50 entertainment value.
If I spent $10 to buy that mech, and save 9 games, I've just saved myself $10.50 - so economically, yes, it makes sense.
For the HBK-4P(C) I'm saving something like $18.50...

I'd encourage you to take a look at things more like this. What is your time actually worth?

Edited by ScottAleric, 30 November 2016 - 10:15 AM.

#19 Single Mom

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:50 PM

View PostScottAleric, on 30 November 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

Wait, $10? what are you talking about??
The HBK 4P(C) is 900MC sale; which is $5.04 at the worst MC buy rate, but clearly less than that considering MC rewards and higher MC buy values (so it could be cheaper than $3.60, if I bought the highest amount of MC), and even less than THAT considering the 20% MC bonus sale that happened last week)

Maybe you're talking about the CTF, but I had already decided against it.
At worst its $13.84 and best it's $9.89... so yeah, okay. you must be talking about the CTF.

I also have a hard time wrapping my mind around how 30% bonus is "a fairly petty amount"
I certainly wouldn't turn down a 30% raise, would you?

Here's another way to look at it. California (where I am) minimum wage is $10/hour.
At my play times, and in a heavy, It takes a rough average of about 15 minutes from initiation of a game to returning to the lobby - 4 matches per hour.
I assume my entertainment value is equivalent to minimum wage (i.e. I can hire someone at minimum wage to entertain me). So this means to play those 9 games, I'm spending $22.50 entertainment value.
If I spent $10 to buy that mech, and save 9 games, I've just saved myself $10.50 - so economically, yes, it makes sense.
For the HBK-4P(C) I'm saving something like $18.50...

I'd encourage you to take a look at things more like this. What is your time actually worth?

Lol please, the value of time is only applicable when comparing several alternative use of said time. In this case you're talking about playing the same mech because presumably you enjoy playing it. Your time is committed to playing the game either way. If your time is worth more than playing the game or using this mech variant then why are you posting about it? What is your time actually worth?

A 30% raise to my income would be pretty significant, you're right. But again think about what you're comparing it to. The value of mech xp and more or less to the same extent, gxp, is pretty low. 30% more of it is hardly compelling. Cbills is a more restrictive resource than gxp in this game, so if you're all about p2progress the. A 30% cbill bonus would be superior anyway.

Edited by Single Mom, 30 November 2016 - 12:53 PM.

#20 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:47 PM

View PostSingle Mom, on 30 November 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

Lol please, the value of time is only applicable when comparing several alternative use of said time. In this case you're talking about playing the same mech because presumably you enjoy playing it. Your time is committed to playing the game either way. If your time is worth more than playing the game or using this mech variant then why are you posting about it? What is your time actually worth?

With respect, I fundamentally disagree. Applying a value to the time you spend is applicable at all times. People are constantly making that judgment, just without assigning numbers to it. How much do you pay for cable tv? how much time does your family spend watching it? is there an alternative to get the same media for a lower cost? is the amount that you pay for cable tv worth the amount of time that you spend watching it? What about buying pre-made meals vs. spending the time making meals from scratch? is it more valuable to spend the time making the meal but saving the money or vice-versa?
http://efficiencyise...er-dollar-list/

By attaching a dollar value to time, you can more easily make value judgments. By matching it to minimum wage, I'm able to give a solid basis for comparison. WoW used to charge (still does?) $15/month for subscription. At the time the minimum wage in CA was about $8/hour. Therefore, if I didn't play 2 hours/month, I was wasting my money. Eventually I reached that point and decided it was time to stop paying for WoW. The same calculation basis went into me paying for cable. Spoiler: I stopped paying for cable tv.
Movie tickets, popcorn and so forth can range from $11 to over $20, depending on where I go. If I go to a 2 hour movie, I'm not going to spend more than $20 for myself. Anything more, and it better be more than 2 hours or a damned good movie.

But then, This is just my own perspective.
Also, We've drifted way off topic.

Cheers!

Edited by ScottAleric, 30 November 2016 - 02:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users