Viper Hero

5 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:28 PM

the viper kinda reminds me of a cicada.. but playing around in smurfy it has only about 8.5 tons to play with, so can't even do a double large pulse, though could do dual ERLL's.. can't really haul ballistics either outside of machine guns, or maybe a single LBX2 (don't think that is worth it either)

Kinda seams like you boat up small lasers, or perhaps mediums and run hot.. It's fast and jumpy, but i just don't know. It seems like something i might like, and with the sale, might be worth getting.

So while it has the same tonnage as a cicada, and a bit faster all those locked JJ's leave little wiggle room. So my Q is what roll does it play? Is it a light hunter? the clan jenner can be faster, but i really don't know what people run them at as far as speed goes. it's also the same speed as the ARC, but has much better jumping capabilities.

One thing i did notice is perhaps small lasers with a couple banks of SRM's?

It does seam like something i would like, but in practice i just kinda at a loss with it's roll. I got enough MC to get it with an extra 10+ bays.. But kinda torn... Thoughts?

#2 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:55 PM

The hard-locking of engines makes the Medusa difficult to compare against an Inner Sphere 'mech of the same tonnage. You're pretty weight-limited - but there's no rule that says you have to always boat large pulses with the Clans. =)

I'd try Something Like This for a fast striker/spotter and light bully - possibly substituting Artemis SRM4s. That being said, the chassis isn't well represented on the battlefield - usually there's a reason for that, but you do see it from time to time, so it might just be a style fit.

Edited by Void Angel, 28 November 2016 - 05:57 PM.

#3 Osulf

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:27 PM

If you have the spare CB you could try out a standard viper first. I run the Medusa with 6 ersl and another viper with (if I remember correctly 4 small pulse and 4 MG). They both are fun mechs to play.

IMO they have a different play style to most mechs, being quicker than most medium mechs but bigger & easier to hit than lights. It often gets annoying losing legs and arms and with the standard Medusa the weapons are in the arms. Being a light weight medium you don't have the armour to do much brawling.

I tend to use it as a light hunter, defend assaults lrm/boats against lights and when possible use the speed & jump jets to get behind enemy mechs. If you can get behind the enemy mechs the viper is lethal. I managed 7 kills (in one match) today as with the speed I could get around to help the rest of the team take out enemy mechs. In the late stage of the match 4 pulse lasers & 4 mg can be nasty against damaged enemy mechs.

They run very hot so you are looking at about 4 volleys before you need to decide how to mange your heat.

I often play mine as they are some of the most fun mechs in the game but they also need good timing and positioning otherwise they are soon destroyed. I think this might be why you don't see many.

Hope that helps.

#4 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:21 AM

6 small pulse on the Medusa is the best build in my opinion. Use it as a flanker when the enemy is distracted and go for rear torsos for best results.

#5 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:27 PM

Viper is harasser / skirmisher also as Ice Ferret.

#6 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

thanks for the info.. i figured with the sale i would just grab it.. I don't have time to buy the normal C-bill version and play it and see if i like it,.. so i gambled.. Posted Image +viper+ 10 bays, for 7 bucks worth of MC and saving from events.. all summer.. Not a bad score..

but thanks for the info

Edited by JC Daxion, 29 November 2016 - 03:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users