- - - - -

Armor Types?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Texacan

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:16 AM

Iam new to MechWarrior Online so any help would be great.

1. How do you upgrade to another type of armor?
In my mechlab its not unlocked. Example Endo steel.

2. I have added Mechwarrior online as a non steam game in steam but is does not work.
Is there a way?

#2 Single Mom

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:25 AM

Endo steel can be purchased for your mech with in game currency just like the other upgrades. Some mechs, namely omnimechs will have that feature disabled as their upgrades may be fixed.

If you really like to launch MWO via steam, just download it via steam.

#3 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:33 AM

Some Mechs you can upgrade, some are stuck being locked in what you purchased them in.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:44 AM

View PostTexacan, on 29 November 2016 - 06:16 AM, said:

Iam new to MechWarrior Online so any help would be great.

1. How do you upgrade to another type of armor?
In my mechlab its not unlocked. Example Endo steel.

2. I have added Mechwarrior online as a non steam game in steam but is does not work.
Is there a way?

1) In the mechlab (for a mech you own; not trial mechs) you can find an option for ferro/std armor and endo/std structure. If you are using an Omnimech (it has the option to change Omnipods aka different weapon hardpoints sets) then you cannot change armor or structure.

Endo Steel is a material used for the mech's skeleton; it's supposed to be super rare and hard to come by but... everybody uses it because it's MWO and not terribly lore friendly.
Ferro Fibrous is a type of armor that's much easier to come by than endo-steel, which while thinner and significantly lighter, requires many more layers to produce the same protection (while still saving weight).

In either case you're gonna eat up 'crit slots'. Of the two, Endo-Steel saves you twice as much as the amount ferro could save you with the armor maxed out.

2. Just use Mechwarrior Online as a Steam game.
....I mean seriously, why go through all the extra hassle? (I do not like all the excess memory the standalone 'bootstrapper' consumes in saving a history of patches since the last major update; last time I cleared that out I saved myself over 30 gigabytes and then when I went to play, the bootstrapper insisted on downloading every patch since July 2013 [it was December 2014 when I did this).

The steam version is simply better and hassle free; if anything goes wrong just "Verify data" in properties on Steam's entry for MWO and a half second download fixes it.

As opposed to the two hour process of the standalone bootstrapper's "repair toolkit"

(In other words search Mechwarrior Online on steam and download it through steam to use for steam.)

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:46 AM

At current Omnimechs cannot have upgrades applied, but you get a lot more choice of hatdpoints.

Battlemechs you can modify engine, armot type, structure type, engine rating/type and heatsink type, all of which are locked for Omnimechs but you do not havethe freedom to change hardpoints by changing omnipods which the Omnimechs do.

If the Mech has a "Prime" variant it is an omni, and about 3/4 of mechs are Battlemechs.

If a Mech can change armor or structure there will be a slider in the Mechlab, usualy bottom left ir I recall correctly

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users