9 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:20 PM

During the 1980's, the game D&D came under a lot of hostile fire from evangelists. I remember seeing one man hold up the 1st edition players handbook on TV as he ranted against it, however I don't know who he was. If you know who it was, please let me know. I beleive that he was a TV evangelist, however they were so commonly seen on TV spouting fire and brimstone at us gamers that at the time I didn't care who it was and flipped the channel.

I am doing a little bit of writing from the stand point of a gamer in a fictional tale, and I would like to have this info as it pertains to part of the stories plot line. Since many of you may no longer be a teenager I am hoping that someone here will know the answer.

The first edition players handbook is the one with a demonic statue being looted by two theives. That is the one I remember being displayed upon the screen.

Thank you.
Kalimaster

#2 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:03 PM

Ephesians 5:11 and have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness rather reprove them

is probably what they where talking about
I do remember watching people play D&D in tech school (1980) then later they where the only ones that would play
other book case game (you guys call them TT games)
anyway the same out cry happens today but these days no one listens

#3 Akhri Mala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:51 PM

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Jack_Chick

He died recently.

Good riddance.

#4 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:43 AM

Jacks dead? Party Time!!!Posted Image

#5 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:44 PM

wow this is sad sad news

Edited by Davegt27, 30 November 2016 - 08:12 PM.

#6 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:06 AM

The issue is some religiou fanatics hwo do nothing else than thinkign of religion not able to udnerstand some people do things they don't take serious or care about.

Like screaming blood for the blood god and throwing artifacts onto a table deciding the destiny of some tiny self painted plastic dolls.

Must seriously look like some eveil stuff if you abandon any fun and your inner child in Life

#7 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:12 AM

I know people who RP.

Sometimes they get bored and roleplay cannibalism, ****, ************* sex and all kinds of !@#%.

If people who roleplayed dungeons and dragons in the 1980's are anything like the people I know who RP I can kind of see why some might object to it.

Not to say that everyone does things like that. But it only takes a few bad apples.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 04 December 2016 - 01:13 AM.

#8 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:32 AM

As I'm old enough to remember those times, the actual STINK started when kids started committing suicide while attempting to cast some spell or whatever (I forget exactly what the invocation they were attempting was, but it was taken from D&D), while "role playing" their character (evil wizard, etc) from D&D.

There was more than one occurrence of this happening. Remember, this is long before Al Gore invented the internet. So news was different back then, and there was no such thing as "social media" back then. BUT, there were at least a couple of teen related suicides related to the game, which certain people seized upon to use for their own agendas (read certain TV evangelists) to try to drum up visibility and hog the spotlight.

I think suicide is a last sad act of a troubled soul, and it's tragic that those kids chose to do that. But I also think that those particular kids that did it were already "troubled souls", and would have likely done it anyway even if it was over a different game or reason. But the families of the victims seized on the game D&D as the "blame" for their kid's tragic ends, and I do remember changes to the game material happened some time after that.

#9 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:12 AM

I would heavily differ between role playing and actually living a role. Like those furries and their fetishes and such, who actually truly wish they were furries and make it a RL thing. Pretenting to be someone/something and actually trying to be someone/something specific are two different things.

#10 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

I appreciate everyone's opinion on this topic, however I posted this thread in an attempt to get some information about the name of a TV evangelist. Once more I would like to find out the name of the dude holding up the players handbook, 1st edition, during a televised broadcast that denounced D&D.

Thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users