Stalker & Battlemaster Help

8 replies to this topic

#1 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:27 PM

Hi there! So I'm looking for advice on which of these 'mechs to purchase in order to Master the chassis.

I'll start with the Battlemaster. I bought the Hellslinger in the sale so I'm looking for another 2. I think I've narrowed it down to the 1G, 3M, 3S and maybe the 2C. My reasoning is they (mostly) have 3 Energy hardpoints in each torso so I can take advantage of the high mounts. These days, I look more at hardpoints rather than quirks, as the former are not likely to be changed.

Should I be considering the 1D or 1S for any particular reason? Are there 1 or 2 stand-outs from the 4 I listed?

Next, the Stalkers. I have the 3FB and picked up the Misery in the sale, so only need 1 more. I've heard good things about the 4N, but I run my 3FB with 4xLL + 2x ML or 6x LL, so I'm not entirely sold on the idea. I was thinking the 5M for the hardpoint variety, CT Energy and generic missile quirks. Is that a decent choice, or is there a generally better option?

Thanks in advance! Posted Image

#2 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

The hands down best Battlemaster is the 2C because of its sturdiness.
Even when you carry a realy big XL engine you will be able to weather sh.. loads of dmg. (375XL FTW maybe the 350XL) 3 LPLs + 2 Mlaser will do.
The 1S for overall energy quirks instead of the MPULSE (5% ..realy effin joke) quirks of the 3S.
You also will love the option to go with quad ASRM6 and Quad MLASER and still have loads of ammo and heatsinks while beeing as fast as any heavy.
If you want to have some classic fun build options (more troll than fun build) the 1D will suit your needs with its dakka fork of doom in its left arm. (3 AC2 or UAC5+2AC2) You also can go the more serious but still under whelming way of having 2 AC5 in this arm and 2PPCs in its shoulders.

Concerning the Stalker... well its not my mech.

Edited by The Basilisk, 30 November 2016 - 05:06 PM.

#3 Remillard

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:08 AM

I can't help on the Battlemaster but you might look down at a thread a bit lower where I asked about Stalker builds. Here's what I've used though in the past few weeks of getting to know this dude.

Most of the fun happens at least after the engine speak tweak, but I think that's been true of every mech I've used. Elited skills just make everything hum.

1) 5M is a lot of fun as a brawling mech with 5x SRM6+A. It's got missile range, so the SRM's are good out to 310m roughly and it can vaporize a lot of things. Maybe a little tough with the torso twisting initially but seems okay after eliting.
2) 3FB(L) is what I got started with since I got one of these free as a Loyalty gift. There was a bug where it would initially support more missile points, and that was taken away and/or fixed. Now I've got it setup with 4xLPL in the high arm points and I gotta say that the SUPER high mounts really make this kind of amazing. The hardest part is managing heat in a target rich environment.
3) Misery. I got this one through basic skills and haven't elited it yet. I was running this with dual PPCs plus AC/20 and it felt a little meh. I'm told if I switch the PPCs to LL or something (see other thread) that this works a little better, but it's an asymmetric build on my stupid side (I really have trouble with left side asymmetric) so your mileage may vary.

Hope that helps. The 4N ranks highest on GMan's Metamechs but I don't know what the build is for that. Probably lots of lasers, but if the 3FB(L) is any indication, lasers on those above-your-head hardpoints work pretty great so I imagine it'd be fine.

#4 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:10 AM

Running a Misery, 4N and 5M I can say the following.

- 4N gets no turn bonus quirk and its noticeable stalker is not very nimble base. Luckily the 3fb you have for some reason gets one while other 3f's dont. Still a fun mech I roll it with 2 LL, 4 ML, 2 SRM6 and 1 LRM10. Still nasty customer but brawling that turn can be rather annoying at times.

- Misery anyone that ignores this thing rolling in is about to be miserable. I love sitting in group hidden waiting for that enemy to rush in and come around corner to face you... CRUNCH!!!!! 4 ML 1 ERLL 1 AC20 and 1 SRM6 makes for a solid beast

- 5M I use as a mini missle boat as oher 2 Stalkers are brawlers nice to have a break. the Missile Extra range quirk is nice but as it has some good movement quirks one day will need to roll SRM6 vomit but in mean time roll 3 LRM5, 2 LRM10, 4 ML, 1 ERPPC or ERLL

- 3H to limited in weapon mounts mostly arms and arms not a whole lot of reason to go withit over other varients unless your dead set on using its LRM20 quirks

- 5S not a bad idea plethora of weapon slots but no move quirks hurts. Load up on LPL and could be some real nasty fun. Sort of a combo of the 4N and 5M mech. this could be a rather nice choice over 4N

#5 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:34 PM

The BLR-1G, 2C, and 3S are all fantastic mechs. I would highly recommend them. They require XLs to get the most out of them however, so be prepared to spend a lot of c-bills getting good builds. As for Stalkers, the 4N has one purpose for existing, and that is to run 6x LL builds. While you say you're already running that build on the 3Fb, the 4N just does it better because of the quirks. While I know you don't look at quirks, the extra energy boosts to the 4N are too useful to simply dismiss.

#6 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:31 PM

The Stalker 4N is a great mid-long rang mech with the 6X Large Laser build. As Mad Ox mention above, avoid brawls and you will need someone to cover you if you get flank by a light.

The 5M is a battery ram with SRMs but like the 4N, doesn't have much of a torso twist arc.

The 3F has the most 'meh' quirks but it has the best torso twist of all the Stalkers.

#7 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

Alrighty, so it looks like the 5M and 4N are top picks for the Stalker - may as well get them both. Posted Image

As for the Battlemaster, seems like anything except the 3M with only the 2C getting more than 1 vote, so that's a good place to start.

More opinions welcome, thanks folks!

#8 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:07 AM

At this point I would advocate for Battlemasters. You can do a lot with 4+ high mounted, tightly clustered energy hardpoints along with a large XL engine, regardless of the individual variant's quirks.

Certain Stalkers can still perform well, but their biggest drawback is that they're engine capped.

#9 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:19 PM

Battlemasters hands down.

2C, 1G and the 3S are the best without a doubt mount/quirk wise right now.

Vomit that laser, strip those components and earn those cbills.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users