Victor-9S Help

13 replies to this topic

#1 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:27 PM

So I'm looking at picking up a Victor. I know they're considered somewhat "meh" by today's standard, but I'm one of those weirdos who enjoys the Kintaro and I already have Battlemasters if I want to metacheese my way through a match. The stock set-up looks semi-decent, and I'm aiming for a "stock plus" build since I don't have enough spare money to buy an XL. Something along these lines: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...20207eca8dfc640 It's nothing fancy, but it looks somewhat attractive. My other consideration is this build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d4ebe9b0a359127 Both are pretty similar, the first with the accuracy of an ASRM6 and better DPS and the second with slightly more punch but less heat control. I've found brawling to often become a DPS game, so the first with it's longer time to overheat looks more appealing, but I was wondering what ideas others might have.

Edited by Sidefire, 01 December 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#2 MiniFish

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:04 AM

my 9s build. quite similar to your second build.
does pretty decent, if i dont get singled out and dissected. sometimes people would grow an extra pair when they find out they're fighting the meh-mechs. otherwise i could rack up 500+ damage games

mpls instead of medlas because i find that people tend to shrink a little more when you flash strobing lights at them, and 4 jumpjets because i really like the added mobility. quite useful in many maps where the fights are often at irregular elevation. i dont have as many ammo as i'd like, but so far i've only completely exhausted my ammo supply once from shooting all of them

you could try shoving most of your ammo down the legs, since unlike me you dont skimp on leg armor. not many people would target legs on anything heavier than cicadas, and you could also skimp on head armor since it's very unlikely to get headshotted. most of the time your ct would get wrecked before your head would lose armor

the old trial vic has dual uac5s, it was quite a fun build as well, so you can probably try something like that, although that particular trial build has XL, so it might be a little dangerous to run around in that.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:33 AM

If you must use a standard, tonnage will be tight. Don't waste it on CASE. Lose that, get those DHS out of the engine and use them to crit pad components and probably move ammo to the legs. I'd also consider stripping the left arm, losing the lasers and getting more SRMs. You're not gonna have a really good build without a big XL (or at all on a Victor really), but those changes could be better.

#4 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:55 AM

Well as long as you accept the Victor is subpar you could run this. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e51094f300da896

Not that I run them anymore but flightless Victors are a thing as are ones with smaller standard engines using a 295 or 300 STD. In any case I improved your ammo loadout and removed CASE as it is unneeded with so few rounds.

How close to stock do I need to keep it? (On Edit) forgot to critpad with heatsinks, make sure to do that.

Edited by Spheroid, 02 December 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#5 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:19 AM

It's a damn shame PGI haven't unlocked the Victor's tube count. Besides laser boating, that's the most effective way to achieve high damage/ton, which the Victor desperately needs to be viable.

#6 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 02 December 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

Well as long as you accept the Victor is subpar you could run this. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e51094f300da896

Not that I run them anymore but flightless Victors are a thing as are ones with smaller standard engines using a 295 or 300 STD. In any case I improved your ammo loadout and removed CASE as it is unneeded with so few rounds.

How close to stock do I need to keep it? (On Edit) forgot to critpad with heatsinks, make sure to do that.

The only reason I'm running stock+ is because I'm a bit tight on cash for the XL. Anything else (Endo, DHS, etc) I can either afford or strip from another mech.

#7 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

Are you sure you have to have a Victor? I went this route earlier this year myself. With a big XL or a standard it's very frail in the current game environment. It has wonky hard points, low mounts, no ability to boat, iffy JJs, and weird missile tubes. Many other IS and clan Assaults are better (like all of them). I mastered the unit, spent a ton of C-bills and MC and it is out performed by most heavys. I have since went on to add Battlemasters, Stalkers and Banshees to my collection and all are much better mechs.

If you have to have it, I wish you well. Check out Gmans metamechs.site for build. He has some good.options. also go to YouTube and watch BlackhawkSC's video on the Victor. They helped me the most to maximize my results in the Victor.

#8 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:02 PM

View PostRock Roller, on 02 December 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

Are you sure you have to have a Victor? I went this route earlier this year myself. With a big XL or a standard it's very frail in the current game environment. It has wonky hard points, low mounts, no ability to boat, iffy JJs, and weird missile tubes. Many other IS and clan Assaults are better (like all of them). I mastered the unit, spent a ton of C-bills and MC and it is out performed by most heavys. I have since went on to add Battlemasters, Stalkers and Banshees to my collection and all are much better mechs.

If you have to have it, I wish you well. Check out Gmans metamechs.site for build. He has some good.options. also go to YouTube and watch BlackhawkSC's video on the Victor. They helped me the most to maximize my results in the Victor.

I already have a Battlemaster, Stalker, and Atlas. I've elited the Battlemaster, the Stalker, while fun, doesn't fit my usual playstyle much, and the Atlas draws too much fire to be enjoyable for me. Boating doesn't appeal to me in most circumstances since it removes one of the most enjoyable parts of the game for me, which is customizing your build, and slapping in a cookie cutter boat build takes that away. I'm used to wonky hardpoints. I run Cataphracts and Orions regularly and find them to be enjoyable to play, so low hardpoints can be worked around. The tubes could be an issue, but I'm looking at one SRM-6 or two 4s at the most due to tonnage restrictions.

#9 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:16 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...038d5a4846e4c2c

#10 Scout80913

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

View Postprocess, on 02 December 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

It's a damn shame PGI haven't unlocked the Victor's tube count. Besides laser boating, that's the most effective way to achieve high damage/ton, which the Victor desperately needs to be viable.

+1

Like the OP, I'm at the point where I'm considering leveling Victor's just for a change of pace. It'd be nice if I didn't have to fight wonky missile tube counts on top of everything else.

#11 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

View PostSidefire, on 02 December 2016 - 04:02 PM, said:

I already have a Battlemaster, Stalker, and Atlas. I've elited the Battlemaster, the Stalker, while fun, doesn't fit my usual playstyle much, and the Atlas draws too much fire to be enjoyable for me. Boating doesn't appeal to me in most circumstances since it removes one of the most enjoyable parts of the game for me, which is customizing your build, and slapping in a cookie cutter boat build takes that away. I'm used to wonky hardpoints. I run Cataphracts and Orions regularly and find them to be enjoyable to play, so low hardpoints can be worked around. The tubes could be an issue, but I'm looking at one SRM-6 or two 4s at the most due to tonnage restrictions.

Then I wish you many happy hours and kills. I would love to Love the Victor. PGI has buffed it twice since I leveled it: +10 structure side torsos and a minor agility buff in the last patch. It would be great if they at least fixed the missile tubes and brought the structure to IS heavy levels.

#12 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:27 AM

Every time I try to brawl in a Victor I get the feeling that a Centurion is much better.

#13 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 09 December 2016 - 04:27 AM, said:

Every time I try to brawl in a Victor I get the feeling realize that a Centurion is objectively much better.

#14 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:45 AM

If you want to keep it stock to save some space bucks, an AC20, 2 ERLLS, and a STD320 used to work reasonably well. But I haven't run my Victors in a long time, and I rarely see them these days so I don't know if that build works anymore.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users