- - - - -

Low Gpu Usage

12 replies to this topic

#1 Kaliphtan

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:38 AM

Hello,

I start this topic in "New Player Help" because i can't start one in feedback forums,

So, my problem is that my GPU is not running MWO at 100% usage but only 40-60%,
when it hit 100% i got around 55-60 FPS so i can't play if 40-60%.

My specs are :

i5 6400 @3.2 Hz quad core
GTX 950m
8 gb ram

My pc is new, i got alot of games, this is the only game who have this type of problem.

MWO is crashing when starting too with afterburner riva turner for fps showing. D11-D9 is same problem.

I will check this topic often, so don't hesitate to answer.

Thank you for reading

#2 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:02 AM

You don't need riva turner for fps showing. When in the game press F9 for an fps display in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

#3 Kaliphtan

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:34 AM

Ok thank you LMP for that tip Posted Image

EDIT: Found the solution !

For NVIDIA players, just put on hyperthreading on NVIDIA panel

(i found this here)

Edited by Kaliphtan, 03 December 2016 - 07:56 AM.

#4 Kaliphtan

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:57 AM

After 2 games, the gpu still under max usage...

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:17 PM

With how MWO is coded, scaleform used for the UI, with server verification/etc, even players with very high end machines never see GPU @ 100%. All you can do is configure your system and game settings to provide as smooth of game play as possible with the resources available.

Also MWO is more CPU hungry than GPU with the better benefit with running Intel CPU around 4.2ghz+

Do not remember the keystroke but while in combat, hit that keystroke to make the UI disappear, and watch your FPS increase.

Edit...

Also, you are playing on a laptop, correct?

Control Panel, Power Options, High Performance.

Nvidia Control Panel, 3D, Power Management mode, change from adaptive to to max performance.

For the game, turn off vsync if enabled.

Create a user.cfg file, place it in your MWO folder. Place the following line in it, the FPS # can be changed over time as you tweak your settings:

sys_MaxFPS = 45

Likely what is happening when it hits 60FPS is that your laptop's CPU is Turbo boosting. The base CPU speed is 2.7ghz but when turboboost engages (it is a plain jane temp OC) it will temp ramp up the CPU to 3.3ghz for only one core. Then when it hits the thermal threshold it will drop the CPU speed below baseline to allow it to cool off before repeating itself.

Additional Edit - until you have played a set amount of games (25? Cadet bonus) you are restricted on where you can post.

https://mwomercs.com...t-requirements/

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 December 2016 - 12:39 PM.

#6 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:50 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 03 December 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

With how MWO is coded, scaleform used for the UI, with server verification/etc, even players with very high end machines never see GPU @ 100%. All you can do is configure your system and game settings to provide as smooth of game play as possible with the resources available.

Also MWO is more CPU hungry than GPU with the better benefit with running Intel CPU around 4.2ghz+

Do not remember the keystroke but while in combat, hit that keystroke to make the UI disappear, and watch your FPS increase.

Edit...

Also, you are playing on a laptop, correct?

Control Panel, Power Options, High Performance.

Nvidia Control Panel, 3D, Power Management mode, change from adaptive to to max performance.

For the game, turn off vsync if enabled.

Create a user.cfg file, place it in your MWO folder. Place the following line in it, the FPS # can be changed over time as you tweak your settings:

sys_MaxFPS = 45

Likely what is happening when it hits 60FPS is that your laptop's CPU is Turbo boosting. The base CPU speed is 2.7ghz but when turboboost engages (it is a plain jane temp OC) it will temp ramp up the CPU to 3.3ghz for only one core. Then when it hits the thermal threshold it will drop the CPU speed below baseline to allow it to cool off before repeating itself.

Additional Edit - until you have played a set amount of games (25? Cadet bonus) you are restricted on where you can post.

https://mwomercs.com...t-requirements/

When you say make the UI disappear does that shutoff the insides of the cockpit with all the little screens and cockpit structure or does it shut off the HUD?

#7 Kaliphtan

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

Hello TarlCabot, im playing on a desktop PC, for me MWO is not cpu hungry at all, my cpu run around 60%, i'm cadet 7
i'm at max perf on panel and v sync is disabled

i just tried testing ground, forest colony, GPU 100%, CPU 60%

now online = 50% GPU, 60% CPU and GPU around 70-85% after death

this is weird

Edited by Kaliphtan, 03 December 2016 - 01:56 PM.

#8 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

Are you actually experiencing performance issues, or are you just concerned because you aren't getting max utilization?

#9 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:10 PM

Well the game just is incapable to take full power of most gaming rigs. CPU usage of 60% is pretty good actually.

That's because you have 4 cores with no hyperthreading. The game roughly is able to use two cores so on your rig it uses all the CPU power it can. I have about 10 years old computer with plenty of cores and fairly decent GPU, and while most games run okay, MWO runs pretty bad as my CPU is so old and thus weak performance per core.

This is kind of usual for free to play games that their engines, both performance and visual wise, are adequate at best. There are some F2P games which are pretty good technically, but from large studios. PGI is pretty small.

So enjoy as it is, that's how it works for all of us.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:42 PM

i5 6400 @3.2 Hz quad core
GTX 950m
8 gb ram

that GTX 950m is listed a mobility GPU found in laptops. unless you meant GTX 950 without the m. Never mind, it appears some desktop manufacturers have put the GTX 950m into desktops, meaning the 950m is an under-performing GPU that will have a slight effect on in-game FPS though not necessarily GPU usage.

The i5-6400 is not a good candidate for overclocking since it multiplier can not be changed, only its base frequency and you will not get much out of it.

I would still suggest creating the user.cfg file, add the max FPS and adjust it an acceptable in-combat level.

As noted by others, in combat the GPU will never really see constant 100% due to the game architecture.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 December 2016 - 02:44 PM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:11 PM

Higher usage after death is related to the remnants of scaleform scripting in some elements of the HUD.

Disabling the HUD at any time is bound to see a performance increase of about 12 frames on average. During spectating this amount sometimes doubles.

#12 xxSSKxx

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:26 PM

ill just say even a budget system like mine plays fine. thats a fx 8350 and a rx 460

#13 Kaliphtan

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

Hi all,

After the newest NVIDIA driver update, it work fine, i tried 3 games for now, smooth FPS all over the games.

Driver 376.19

Thanks for your helps guys, i appreciated it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users