14 replies to this topic

#1 ComradeHavoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:12 PM

I blame the whales.

I understand that they're the ones who fund the game, and who've been keeping MWO alive, but it's gotten so stagnant, development is now just trying to fart out a new mech to sell, and that's about it. FW is garbage, and now it's a barren wasteland of garbage, MM is just barely functional and often fails to create balanced matches, the netcode is potato. There hasn't been a single actual new feature or mechanic introduced for the time I've played MWO, only new mechs.

About the only thing I can remember are the new maps, and that's about it, maybe some balance tweaking here and there, and all the UI changes.

Well, at least we have dekklz.

Oh well, have fun buying the Roughneck I guess.

Where's the illegal Draconis whale fishers when you need them....

#2 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:17 PM

Stop blaming others and wasting all your valuable time and energy on things that are absolute wastes of time.

Focus on yourself instead.

#3 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:19 PM

There's still 9 hours of Mech Con to go. You think they'd blow all their big announcements right off the bat?

#4 ComradeHavoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:22 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 03 December 2016 - 03:17 PM, said:

Stop blaming others and wasting all your valuable time and energy on things that are absolute wastes of time.

Focus on yourself instead.

Yeah you're right I guess, MWO is a waste of valuable time and energy for me, since I've gotten everything I would have ever experienced out of it.

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 03 December 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

There's still 9 hours of Mech Con to go. You think they'd blow all their big announcements right off the bat?

Oh no, I'm waiting in uncontrolled anticipation for the other "cool" stuff.

#5 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:26 PM

View PostComradeHavoc, on 03 December 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

I blame the whales.

I understand that they're the ones who fund the game, and who've been keeping MWO alive, but it's gotten so stagnant, development is now just trying to fart out a new mech to sell, and that's about it. FW is garbage, and now it's a barren wasteland of garbage, MM is just barely functional and often fails to create balanced matches, the netcode is potato. There hasn't been a single actual new feature or mechanic introduced for the time I've played MWO, only new mechs.

About the only thing I can remember are the new maps, and that's about it, maybe some balance tweaking here and there, and all the UI changes.

Well, at least we have dekklz.

Oh well, have fun buying the Roughneck I guess.

Where's the illegal Draconis whale fishers when you need them....

How are the whales hurting the game? PGI doesn't listen to them either, so it's not like their feedback is unbalancing the game.

What a **** rant this is.

#6 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:27 PM

View PostComradeHavoc, on 03 December 2016 - 03:22 PM, said:

Yeah you're right I guess, MWO is a waste of valuable time and energy for me, since I've gotten everything I would have ever experienced out of it.

Why create an entire thread to whine about stuff you don't know about yet? ***** all you want tomorrow. Right now this is a waste of time.

#7 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:27 PM

Whales are unfortunately an unavoidable part of F2P games.

When the game is good, whales buy lots of stuff to keep it going.

When the game sucks, whales still buy lots of stuff because they have the money and nothing else they'd rather spend it on...

When you run into an issue is when the Devs start to use whale sales as a metric for how well the game is doing. "Oh look, they're still spending money, we must be doing everything right!", when in reality, some people will just always buy stuff in games, because they can.

In PGI's case, at this point I think they've learned that they have a massive golden umbrella of whales to absorb any mistakes they make. They don't have to really try anymore, because no matter how verbally abusive this community gets, there's always someone who will keep spending money, and PGI takes that as the go-ahead on any of their ideas, good or bad.

I love F2P games, being a poor mofo, but at the same time, it's a flawed system that allows for this sort of thing. When you have a truly trustworthy, great developer, it can be a great experience. Otherwise, you end up with PGI, which is pretty much the more common result.

#8 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

Meh...

I think this will be a true test of any whales financial fortitude.

Time will tell....

#9 ComradeHavoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

View PostKodyn, on 03 December 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

Whales are unfortunately an unavoidable part of F2P games.

When the game is good, whales buy lots of stuff to keep it going.

When the game sucks, whales still buy lots of stuff because they have the money and nothing else they'd rather spend it on...

When you run into an issue is when the Devs start to use whale sales as a metric for how well the game is doing. "Oh look, they're still spending money, we must be doing everything right!", when in reality, some people will just always buy stuff in games, because they can.

In PGI's case, at this point I think they've learned that they have a massive golden umbrella of whales to absorb any mistakes they make. They don't have to really try anymore, because no matter how verbally abusive this community gets, there's always someone who will keep spending money, and PGI takes that as the go-ahead on any of their ideas, good or bad.

I love F2P games, being a poor mofo, but at the same time, it's a flawed system that allows for this sort of thing. When you have a truly trustworthy, great developer, it can be a great experience. Otherwise, you end up with PGI, which is pretty much the more common result.

That really brings me down, what you're telling me is due to this system, where PGI gauges their success based on how much these whales purchase, they can still do everything wrong, but as long as these whales continue to purchase they'll stay the course with a large room for error, because these whales will keep purchasing.

#10 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:43 PM

View PostComradeHavoc, on 03 December 2016 - 03:33 PM, said:

That really brings me down, what you're telling me is due to this system, where PGI gauges their success based on how much these whales purchase, they can still do everything wrong, but as long as these whales continue to purchase they'll stay the course with a large room for error, because these whales will keep purchasing.

It may be a tad bit of a cynical view, but yes, that's what I've seen here play out over the years. It also fully explains Russ's dismissive attitude towards players. He knows they will keep making money no matter how he treats people, so he has no reason to curb his behavior.

You could see the same thing in a game based on similar, older IPs, such as Star Wars, Star Trek, Wing Commander, etc. If they make an even halfway decent game under any of those names, people will always spend money and take some abuse, just because they have to have every "x" game, product, or movie. Throw in a dev concerned only with making money, and not all that interested in a great gaming experience, and voila, you have a F2P like MWO. PGI aren't the first, nor will they be the last to have this sort of business practice.
What's sad is that so many people have yet to catch on to this theme in online gaming, and that people still get upset over it. Once you understand it, it does make sense, no matter how sad or ****** you find it, and accepting it is easier than railing against it. Do I like it? Not at all, I wish devs balanced games based on real feedback, game testing, player retention stats, etc. But I am very used to it at this point, after quite some time with several F2P games.

It is what it is.

#11 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

Posted Image

Sorry for it being a bit cut off at the end, it was a recording goof and there's a limit to how much time I'm gonna spend fixing a one-shot joke gif.

Edited by Bombast, 03 December 2016 - 03:51 PM.

#12 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:59 PM

Posted Image

#13 Rift Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 532 posts
  • LocationThe moon

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

View PostComradeHavoc, on 03 December 2016 - 03:22 PM, said:

Then why don't you just leave instead of crying on the forums about how dissatisfied you are. If you are in such a state of disgust over the game, do yourself a favor and the rest of us a bigger one and go. Perhaps you can take some other constant cry babies with you so we stop having to see rage posts like this on a daily basis.

#14 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:43 PM

I dont think whales wanted this mech. Just saying, theres a lot of potential mech chassis from pre 3055 available still, extinct or not that could have been chosen, and had as many variation made as PGI wanted to sell them. even discounting impossible due to engine limitations like speed, or specialty armors/equipment not implemented, theres a lot they could have chosen still.

#15 BCAW

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:58 PM

View PostKodyn, on 03 December 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

It may be a tad bit of a cynical view, but yes, that's what I've seen here play out over the years. It also fully explains Russ's dismissive attitude towards players. He knows they will keep making money no matter how he treats people, so he has no reason to curb his behavior.

You could see the same thing in a game based on similar, older IPs, such as Star Wars, Star Trek, Wing Commander, etc. If they make an even halfway decent game under any of those names, people will always spend money and take some abuse, just because they have to have every "x" game, product, or movie. Throw in a dev concerned only with making money, and not all that interested in a great gaming experience, and voila, you have a F2P like MWO. PGI aren't the first, nor will they be the last to have this sort of business practice.
What's sad is that so many people have yet to catch on to this theme in online gaming, and that people still get upset over it. Once you understand it, it does make sense, no matter how sad or ****** you find it, and accepting it is easier than railing against it. Do I like it? Not at all, I wish devs balanced games based on real feedback, game testing, player retention stats, etc. But I am very used to it at this point, after quite some time with several F2P games.

It is what it is.

*cought Hi-Rez *cough Tribes

Oh look at that. Another F2P game that with something of a niche playerbase that tried to go "e-sports", without solving things like balance issues first. And new weapons being released in broken states only to be conveniently nerfed later on.

And what did Hi-Rez do? Abandon Tribes and jumped on the MOBA bandwagon with Smite. Sure, they tried to revive Tribes earlier this year, but its dead again.

Wonder if PGI will pull something similar. Oh wait, they already tried to do that with Transverse. Hah.

Edited by BCAW, 03 December 2016 - 06:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users