Mechassualt Childhood Started It All!

10 replies to this topic

#1 WindFlow

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:58 AM

Being a 'young adult' fan of the warrior universe, the craze for me, defiantly originated from the somewhat loosely based two part game series called MechAssualt, and MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf, created by Day 1 studios.

Playing these two games left a near empty void, a hunger for more ever since.
MechWarrior Online has given me a means to prolong my childhood!

Well, it would be a dream come true, to be able to experienced/see various mechs within those two games, that are not already implemented within MechWarrior Online being brought to life.

The first mech I ever got to play was the Cougar, and I must say, is my absolute favorite! Posted Image

SOOOOOO ........ WHAT IS THE POINT IN ALL THIS?!!!!!

Due to this being a feature suggestion, I really hope these mechs are viable, and we could see them in the near future!
List of mechs in game/s:
http://mechassault.w...hs_And_Vehicles

PS: From what I have seen somewhere else within the user forums, apparently mechs are added to the game based upon a mech's introductory period in the universe. Some said the cougar would therefore not be added into MechWarrior Online for many years to come.

I really hope this is not true! Posted Image

#2 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:35 AM

Not only is the Cougar not from this timeline (3058... a few years down the line), but much of the Mechassault series, especially MA2, was taking huge liberties with the Battletech/Mechwarrior franchise to the point of being unrecognisable. A number of the mechs from that title didn't even exist in Battletech, and wouldn't for many years. The Raptor, for example, does not look like you're expecting, and it would be years before the Raptor II, which had very little of anything to do with the original Raptor, would be introduced. Many of the weapons never will exist in Battletech - at least not in the way they were depicted, there. I can't tell you how much the idea of someone using Battlearmor to hijack and use a mech made me cringe when I heard about it. They were trying really hard to piggyback off of GTA during it's first popularity spike. At the very least, it didn't overwrite the existing lore like Clickytech did.

As many folks have said
"Mechassault is a fun arcade game, but it's not a Mechwarrior game".

To put it in context. Asking for the Cougar in this time period is kind of like asking for an Apache helicopter in a WW2 game. Stuff is getting added, but you're in for a wait. I can relate that I got into the franchise from an early age (Mechwarrior 2, in the 3rd grade), but I was lucky enough to get hooked on a game that did a rather good job of portraying the setting. For you, though it's in no way your fault, the gap between expectation and reality may be a bit bigger than the one I had to get used to.

Unfortunately, a combination of Microsoft dragging the franchise through the mud and dragging their feet on making a new title means that the most recent game in the Mechwarrior franchise that does a decent job is Mechwarrior 3. Mechwarrior 4 was OK for campaign and story, but the game mechanics were watered down heavily to compensate for the rise in multiplayer gaming.

Edited by ice trey, 21 November 2016 - 05:54 AM.

#3 WindFlow

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:03 PM

Understood completely, as I stated, the games were based loosely upon the MechWarrior Universe.This includes the javelin missiles design for example.

I just don't think adding a VERY recent mech such as the cougar would grant it to be overpowered compared to older mechs, nor would it be greatly out of their leagues, to the point it would seem odd to be placed within the game.

I say this judging only based upon MechWarrior Online's mechanics, game depth and interpretation of the battletech series.

There is no reason why the fan base of this universe should ever expire, especially with the amount of content potential. It just feels like the potential of the universe that is being brought to life in this game is being 'funneled'. Sort of like the rate of flow is being hindered due to a narrow pipe in a system.

Like you stated, it would be a while for a mech such as the cougar ever coming about. That detail I find to be very sad indeed! :(

#4 DiabetesOverlord Wilford Brimley

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationBetween Type 1 and Type 2

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:08 PM

View PostWindFlow, on 21 November 2016 - 01:58 AM, said:

Being a 'young adult' fan of the warrior universe, the craze for me, defiantly originated from the somewhat loosely based two part game series called MechAssualt, and MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf, created by Day 1 studios.

Playing these two games left a near empty void, a hunger for more ever since.
MechWarrior Online has given me a means to prolong my childhood!

Well, it would be a dream come true, to be able to experienced/see various mechs within those two games, that are not already implemented within MechWarrior Online being brought to life.

The first mech I ever got to play was the Cougar, and I must say, is my absolute favorite! Posted Image

SOOOOOO ........ WHAT IS THE POINT IN ALL THIS?!!!!!

Due to this being a feature suggestion, I really hope these mechs are viable, and we could see them in the near future!
List of mechs in game/s:
http://mechassault.w...hs_And_Vehicles

PS: From what I have seen somewhere else within the user forums, apparently mechs are added to the game based upon a mech's introductory period in the universe. Some said the cougar would therefore not be added into MechWarrior Online for many years to come.

I really hope this is not true! Posted Image

Me too bro me too what was your tag?

Here were mine.

XBL Tags:
NightHawk 001, NightHawk 003, XX Ski11z XX, II WARHAMMER II, H3113N K3113R, STFU n00b, CORN FED S O B, and DAY AFT3R PILL

#5 WindFlow

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:16 PM

View PostDiabetesOverlord Wilford Brimley, on 21 November 2016 - 10:08 PM, said:

Me too bro me too what was your tag?

Here were mine.

XBL Tags:
NightHawk 001, NightHawk 003, XX Ski11z XX, II WARHAMMER II, H3113N K3113R, STFU n00b, CORN FED S O B, and DAY AFT3R PILL

Sadly me being very young, I never got to play online during those days :(
I appreciated not being the only one here that thinks this way about those two awesome games!

#6 DiabetesOverlord Wilford Brimley

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationBetween Type 1 and Type 2

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:46 PM

View PostWindFlow, on 21 November 2016 - 10:16 PM, said:

Sadly me being very young, I never got to play online during those days Posted Image
I appreciated not being the only one here that thinks this way about those two awesome games!

I shouldn't have played online back then but i did :P

#7 MedivalJ

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

View PostWindFlow, on 21 November 2016 - 10:03 PM, said:

Understood completely, as I stated, the games were based loosely upon the MechWarrior Universe.This includes the javelin missiles design for example.

I just don't think adding a VERY recent mech such as the cougar would grant it to be overpowered compared to older mechs, nor would it be greatly out of their leagues, to the point it would seem odd to be placed within the game.

I say this judging only based upon MechWarrior Online's mechanics, game depth and interpretation of the battletech series.

There is no reason why the fan base of this universe should ever expire, especially with the amount of content potential. It just feels like the potential of the universe that is being brought to life in this game is being 'funneled'. Sort of like the rate of flow is being hindered due to a narrow pipe in a system.

Like you stated, it would be a while for a mech such as the cougar ever coming about. That detail I find to be very sad indeed! Posted Image

The problem isn't that the cougar would be a bad mech to add to the game. It's that the game is being "funneled" and the cougar comes from a different time-period(3058), which with the release of the Bushwacker indicates the current time is 3052. Technically, there is a huge number of mechs which should exist at this point which haven't been added to the game, for whatever reason only PGI knows. Also, if I'm not mistaken IS should have omnimechs(Raptor, 3052) at this point and both sides should have access to new types of equipment. Examples being Thunder LRMS and LAMS(for clans at least).

Edited by MedivalJ, 02 December 2016 - 03:52 PM.

#8 WindFlow

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:04 PM

View PostMedivalJ, on 02 December 2016 - 03:50 PM, said:

The problem isn't that the cougar would be a bad mech to add to the game. It's that the game is being "funneled" and the cougar comes from a different time-period(3058), which with the release of the Bushwacker indicates the current time is 3052. Technically, there is a huge number of mechs which should exist at this point which haven't been added to the game, for whatever reason only PGI knows. Also, if I'm not mistaken IS should have omnimechs(Raptor, 3052) at this point and both sides should have access to new types of equipment. Examples being Thunder LRMS and LAMS(for clans at least).

If they would add more equipment, such as the ones you have stated, then yes we would have less of a problem. Adding only new mechs just isn't changing the gameplay enough, as it all feels the same. Considering all PGI wants to do is add mechs, it would be wise to pump them out more regularly therefore.

#9 MedivalJ

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:20 PM

View PostWindFlow, on 02 December 2016 - 10:04 PM, said:

If they would add more equipment, such as the ones you have stated, then yes we would have less of a problem. Adding only new mechs just isn't changing the gameplay enough, as it all feels the same.

Agreed. If PGI would release everything(in terms of weapons and other equipment) which is supposed to exist up to this point then there would be less of a reason for the quirks and ghost heat could be eliminated. Also, bonus to PGI if they decided to release them in packs, similar to how they introduce new mechs.

View PostWindFlow, on 02 December 2016 - 10:04 PM, said:

Considering all PGI wants to do is add mechs, it would be wise to pump them out more regularly therefore.

No argument here. I'm in favor of bundles similar to those of the clan invasion packs which were introduced with the coming of the clans. This would greatly increase the number of mechs available to both sides without requiring excessive wait times for them to be released individually. In addition, this would not stop PGI from reserving curtain mechs to be released in individual packs.

Edited by MedivalJ, 03 December 2016 - 03:46 PM.

#10 WindFlow

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:54 AM

Thank you for your comments 'MedivalJ'.

I just saw the 2017 road map, and im kind of surprised. Plus they hinted at an undisclosed light mech.............if by some miracle it is the cougar; air fist for days.

.......and apparently a new mechwarrior single player game is in the works :)

#11 The Blood God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 233 posts
  • Locationchester england

Posted 04 December 2016 - 04:30 AM

still waiting for the cattle master

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users