Mw5 No Mp? Is There A Reason?!

113 replies to this topic

#1 UnleashThePwniez

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:44 AM

I can't begin to understand why PGI wouldn't implement multiplayer on MW5.. Yes, the singleplayer aspect sounds amazing, but why have 2 different games that PGI could easily merge into one? MW5 announcement was great, but the singleplayer only aspect was very disappointing to say the least. It's not that they can't do it, but they're choosing not to. I didn't spend all this money on mechs and mech packs to have them make half a game.. Simply put, I love PvP just as much, if not more than PvE. Don't half way satisfy your customers, go the full mile and regain your communities trust back! It's one thing to put focus on singleplayer and prioritize it over MP, but to announce that it will be SP only this early in development is very ballsy, and not in a good way. I'm nearing my end with the ancient tech of MWO, so knowing that something new I can play online in the future would be nice. Otherwise, I'll just wait for Star Citizen and PGI can enjoy the loss of many potential customers.

Before you start bashing my judgement on MW5 as if I don't know **** about making videogames, watch this:

I'd even be willing to help with the creation of MW5 MP for free.. I'll layout maps all day free of charge. It's my passion. Too bad that's not how the gaming industry works..

#2 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:47 AM

If you can play MW5:Merc Multiplayer for a one time fee, then many will do so rather then play (And pay) MWO.

There. Now you understand.

Edited by Bombast, 04 December 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#3 BattleBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 541 posts
  • LocationWarren

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

View PostBombast, on 04 December 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

If you can play MW5:Merc Multiplayer for a one time fee, then many will do so rather then play (And pay) MWO.

thats a silly reason not to implement multiplayer.

If they create a campaign, the least they could do is make sure you can play it cooperatively with friends.
If it doesnt have coop, its just MW4 with better graphics.

I'll pass.

Edited by BattleBunny, 04 December 2016 - 09:52 AM.

#4 Van Hoven

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:53 AM

I think he is argueing more like, integrate mwo AS mw5:mercs mp, meaning all bought items are transferred over. I'd be fine with that big times, but dont know jack about the amount of effort that would create.

#5 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostBattleBunny, on 04 December 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

its just MW4 with better graphics.

If PGI manages to pull that off, I'll gladly shower them with money.

#6 MauttyKoray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:57 AM

View PostUnleashThePwniez, on 04 December 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

I can't begin to understand why PGI wouldn't implement multiplayer on MW5.. Yes, the singleplayer aspect sounds amazing, but why have 2 different games that PGI could easily merge into one? MW5 announcement was great, but the singleplayer only aspect was very disappointing to say the least. It's not that they can't do it, but they're choosing not to. I didn't spend all this money on mechs and mech packs to have them make half a game.. Simply put, I love PvP just as much, if not more than PvE. Don't half way satisfy your customers, go the full mile and regain your communities trust back! It's one thing to put focus on singleplayer and prioritize it over MP, but to announce that it will be SP only this early in development is very ballsy, and not in a good way. I'm nearing my end with the ancient tech of MWO, so knowing that something new I can play online in the future would be nice. Otherwise, I'll just wait for Star Citizen and PGI can enjoy the loss of many potential customers.

Why? Well I'd rather have them concentrate on MW5's single player Campaign honestly. We have MWO for PVP and its been so long since we've had a Mechwarrior SP campaign that I'd rather them concentrate on that instead of attempting to add in additional features like Multiplayer or Co-op.

If things work out well, maybe we'll get a new/revamped MWO to follow that plays more like the MW5 experience (I saw reticule sway with movement!)

#7 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:57 AM

View PostBattleBunny, on 04 December 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

thats a silly reason not to implement multiplayer.

No, it isn't. Money isn't silly.

If they create a campaign, the least they could do is make sure you can play it cooperatively with friends.

I think you'll find that while many people would like this, it's not a huge priority for most people.

If it doesnt have coop, its just MW4 with better graphics.

That is literally what thousands of people have been asking for for years. MW2/3/4, but upgraded.

I'll pass.

Ok.

Edited by Bombast, 04 December 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#8 UnleashThePwniez

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:58 AM

View PostBombast, on 04 December 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

I have no idea what you're trying to state here? From what I remember, every CoD game you buy these days is $60 and you can also buy **** in the marketplace (which I did, I spent a good $100 on BO3). So, what was your point?

#9 Kasumi Sumika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:59 AM

Making MW5 Singleplayer only because they want keep MWO as multiplayer only game alive. Maybe in future when MW5 is stable MWO can be "converted" into UE4. But would be took a lot of effort and work, who knows that this is PGI strategy in long term.

#10 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:03 AM

View PostUnleashThePwniez, on 04 December 2016 - 09:58 AM, said:

I have no idea what you're trying to state here? From what I remember, every CoD game you buy these days is $60 and you can also buy **** in the marketplace (which I did, I spent a good $100 on BO3). So, what was your point?

Well, for one, CoD is a terrible benchmark for what a game should be.

For two... I'm not sure if I can explain this more clearly.

- MWO generates money with microtransactions
- MW5: Merc wont
- If given a chance, many will go with the one time purchase
- That means MWO doesn't make as much money
- That means PGI doesn't make as much money
- That makes Russ sad

I really can't break it down further. If your argument is 'Why don't they just move the microtransactions over to MW5: Merc,' well, that's a possibility.

A terrifying one.

#11 UnleashThePwniez

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:04 AM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 04 December 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

Why? Well I'd rather have them concentrate on MW5's single player Campaign honestly. We have MWO for PVP and its been so long since we've had a Mechwarrior SP campaign that I'd rather them concentrate on that instead of attempting to add in additional features like Multiplayer or Co-op.

If things work out well, maybe we'll get a new/revamped MWO to follow that plays more like the MW5 experience (I saw reticule sway with movement!)

As I said, prioritizing SP over MP is perfectly fine, but to state that MW5 will be SP only this early in development is just plain silly and very disappointing. The point is, they got sued and it ****** up their original idea of a SP and MP mechwarrior game. They came out with MWO. Now, 6 years later they want to release the other half and leave the MP half in ancient tech to rot? It doesn't matter if the development team is still going to be working hard on MWO if it's still running on the antique we call Cry Engine 2...

#12 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostBombast, on 04 December 2016 - 10:03 AM, said:

... we hope.

#13 UnleashThePwniez

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:08 AM

Well, for one, CoD is a terrible benchmark for what a game should be.

For two... I'm not sure if I can explain this more clearly.

- MWO generates money with microtransactions
- If given a chance, many will go with the one time purchase
- That means MWO doesn't make as much money
- That means PGI doesn't make as much money
- That makes Russ sad

I really can't break it down further. If your argument is 'Why don't they just move the microtransactions over to MW5: Merc,' well, that's a possibility.

A terrifying one.

Your false statements make me sick and I'm not willing to put effort into a reply. You just falsely stated that CoD is a terrible benchmark when it literally sits at the top, even if you hate the game. CoD is a flagship. I'm guessing you took the blue pill and not the red? Wtf was in that blue pill?

#14 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:11 AM

View PostUnleashThePwniez, on 04 December 2016 - 09:58 AM, said:

MW5 gets its money from MWO

It's still PGI as a company, even if it is a dedicated dev team for MW5
You wouldn't develop 2 games that compete with each other under the same roof

The most we can hope for is that MWO would be rolled into MW5 at some point

Mars aeternum

View PostRestosIII, on 04 December 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

If PGI manages to pull that off, I'll gladly shower them with money.

That's the funny thing

They could make HD remakes of all the old titles and people would flood them with money
Look how good looking that short ingame stuff was

Edited by Peter2k, 04 December 2016 - 10:14 AM.

#15 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:11 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 04 December 2016 - 10:07 AM, said:

... we hope.

Obviously, all that's based on the assumption that everything is going as stated and planned, and in a logical manner. Which is never certain in any games development.

Reading OPs continued posting, along with others, I'm starting to think what their really asking is 'Why isn't MWO getting a pretty Unreal engine bump.' Which is a much better question, and the answer is probably 'It will eventually.'

#16 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:12 AM

View PostUnleashThePwniez, on 04 December 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

As I said, prioritizing SP over MP is perfectly fine, but to state that MW5 will be SP only this early in development is just plain silly and very disappointing. The point is, they got sued and it ****** up their original idea of a SP and MP mechwarrior game. They came out with MWO. Now, 6 years later they want to release the other half and leave the MP half in ancient tech to rot? It doesn't matter if the development team is still going to be working hard on MWO if it's still running on the antique we call Cry Engine 2...

Disappointing? No, disappointing would be if they included multiplayer and the single player suffered.

If you want to complain about multiplayer, keep it in MWO. That's part of the reason it doesn't have multiplayer is because it would affect MWO's playerbase and further degrade this game.

The best I can hope for is that MWO gets an overhaul into a new engine or even a fresh start in a new engine (maybe building off the MW5 framework) with best scenario content such as purchased mechs, cockpit items, etc, transferred over to the new engine. Or if possible the upgrade would be backend and accounts/content would remain static without any transfers required.

View PostUnleashThePwniez, on 04 December 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

Your false statements make me sick and I'm not willing to put effort into a reply. You just falsely stated that CoD is a terrible benchmark when it literally sits at the top, even if you hate the game. CoD is a flagship. I'm guessing you took the blue pill and not the red? Wtf was in that blue pill?

Yes...its a flagship showing how stupid gamers can be and you don't want ANY games to mimic their awful practices.

#17 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:13 AM

View PostUnleashThePwniez, on 04 December 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

Your false statements make me sick and I'm not willing to put effort into a reply. You just falsely stated that CoD is a terrible benchmark when it literally sits at the top, even if you hate the game.

Transformers was also at the top of it's field, money wise. It was a terrible benchmark.

I actually don't have anything against CoD, gameplay wise. It's a solid multiplayer shooter. It's business model, however, is atrocious, second only in vileness to Battefield. And it only gets away with it because it's only real competitor (Battlefield) is worse.

CoD is a flagship. I'm guessing you took the blue pill and not the red? Wtf was in that blue pill?

Have you ever watched the Matrix? The pill context doesn't really work here.

#18 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

I am just HAPPY AS F*%& to get a new singleplayer campaign. Yes please! All you whinners are just that, little whinny babies.

#19 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

View PostBombast, on 04 December 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

Transformers was also at the top of it's field, money wise. It was a terrible benchmark.

I actually don't have anything against CoD, gameplay wise. It's a solid multiplayer shooter. It's business model, however, is atrocious, second only in vileness to Battefield. And it only gets away with it because it's only real competitor (Battlefield) is worse.

Have you ever watched the Matrix? The pill context doesn't really work here.

I'm a huge Battlefield fan, and personally dislike CoD's business model more, but both systems are pretty trash, I gotta admit.

#20 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:20 AM

A terrifying one.

Mechwarrior 4 had mechpacks way before MWO did... if you think that MW5 won't... I'd like to have some of what you are drinking?

In August 2002, Microsoft released two add-ons to MechWarrior 4: Vengeance: Clan 'Mech Pak and Inner Sphere 'Mech Pak. Each pack contained four new BattleMechs and a few other bonuses, such as new weapons.

http://www.sarna.net...or_4:_Vengeance

Expansions, DLCs, packs, whatever they call it, there will be additional content for sale after the initial single player game. I could see Co-Op maybe several years in, but they aren't going to compete against their own game with pvp.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users