36 replies to this topic

#21 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:02 AM

View PostBombast, on 03 December 2016 - 11:55 PM, said:

I figured, but the emoticons are terrible and I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you had weird priorities, and weren't just being ******. This is why we need more gifs.

What? You're human like the rest of us. Don't feel bad if you do something humans do.

Getting upset over a timeline that very few people know the intricate details of is silly.

But for those of us that do know it...

Posted Image

Edited by dervishx5, 04 December 2016 - 12:02 AM.

#22 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:06 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 04 December 2016 - 12:02 AM, said:

What? You're human like the rest of us. Don't feel bad if you do something humans do.

What?

Getting upset over a timeline that very few people know the intricate details of is silly.

Playing video games is silly.

But for those of us that do know it...

Know what?

View PostScarecrowES, on 04 December 2016 - 12:00 AM, said:

Inverse Kinematics. Essentially making adjustments to model positioning and animation based on the terrain on which it's supposed to be standing. Making it look as though a mech is standing or walking on an uneven surface rather than making one foot float miraculously in mid air.

The December roadmap seems to suggest that the implementation of IK has not been successful for all mechs, making some of them look weird. PGI cited aesthetics as a primary cause for delay, which implies problem with the look of the result, not the function of the system.

Oh, I know what Inverse Kinetics is, just didn't click that that was what IK meant.

I should be sleeping. Why can't I sleep?

#23 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:06 AM

View PostBombast, on 04 December 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

What?

View Postdervishx5, on 03 December 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

The human predilection for using extreme examples to justify personal feelings never fails to make an appearance.

Playing video games is silly.

Yep. Is silly sufficient reason to get upset?

Know what?

Chicken butt.

#24 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:07 AM

View PostBombast, on 04 December 2016 - 12:06 AM, said:

I should be sleeping. Why can't I sleep?

Excitement? Exasperation? Other excellent words that begin with "ex?"

#25 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:11 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 04 December 2016 - 12:06 AM, said:

SNIP

I can't tell if you're actually trying to make a point, trolling, doing both, or just seriously can't understand the appeal of continuity, something that's at the very heart of what an IP is and which is the only reason Battletech or Mechwarrior is a thing.

I mean, I'm pretty sure you're trolling. But I'm not sure.

Which I guess means you're doing an excellent job. Keep it up?

View PostScarecrowES, on 04 December 2016 - 12:07 AM, said:

Excitement? Exasperation? Other excellent words that begin with "ex?"

I don't think so. Besides an initial 'Holy ****' factor, nothing got me going really today. And while I'm a bit exasperated by the 'Do You Want to Buy a MechPack' crowd suddenly changing their tune to 'I'll suck **** for a Pre-Order Page,' I wouldn't say it's I'm that upset. And the whole Raven thing is really just a curiosity.

Edited by Bombast, 04 December 2016 - 12:11 AM.

#26 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:14 AM

I can promise that threads like this are part of the player retention issue with MWO. I get it that there's deep, fascinating lore going along with anything BT. I'm a lore-hound for some things I enjoy, such as Star Wars games, where I've read a massive amount of expanded universe novels. I however haven't had the time or motivation to get into the BT lore ever since starting MWO, so while I find it mildly interesting, it has no major impact on the game itself for me.

There's a lot of people who play this game because giant stompy robots in an FPS styled game are fun, and not because we are hardcore BT fans. Many couldn't care less what year a specific mech was supposed to be built in, what year someone invaded someone else, who drove what mech, etc. Those people would probably stick around longer on a game with a community less easily angered by all these lore things. We get it, you enjoy the lore, but from the outside, it just looks like a bunch of people who will find the absolute most minute details to complain about.

Now I'm not one of the ones driven away by it-hell I'm a retired member of a unit that regularly did RP missions and was all about their house Davion spirit(not that I cared one way or another about IS house politics), but I do see it as a bit tiring, and can definitely understand this level of ****-retentiveness being unattractive for new players just looking for a fun game.

I doubt I'm changing any attitudes with a post, but I figured I'd put it out there just so people could have some perspective on what this conversation looks like to someone outside the "BT Lore Loop". This isn't putting a stealth bomber in a WWII game, this is giant stompy space robots, with a lore that has been changed and tweaked repeatedly by a multitude of companies over the years to suit the needs of their current projects.

Just sayin'.

#27 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:17 AM

View PostBombast, on 04 December 2016 - 12:11 AM, said:

I can't tell if you're actually trying to make a point, trolling, doing both, or just seriously can't understand the appeal of continuity, something that's at the very heart of what an IP is and which is the only reason Battletech or Mechwarrior is a thing.

I mean, I'm pretty sure you're trolling. But I'm not sure.

Which I guess means you're doing an excellent job. Keep it up?

Not trying to make you upset, just pointing out the tendency for people to slip down that slope toward exaggeration. Hell my country just had an entire presidential election based on that form of argument.

Mechwarrior games have never stuck 100% to canon. Missing (or not caring about) the timeline is something I expect PGI to do. It's not the end of the world. It's akin to HBS pulling the storyline for the game out of thin air.

Somewhat annoying, yes. Amusing, yes. Something to point out? Maybe. But not something to get that disgruntled over.

#28 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:27 AM

View PostBombast, on 04 December 2016 - 12:11 AM, said:

I don't think so. Besides an initial 'Holy ****' factor, nothing got me going really today. And while I'm a bit exasperated by the 'Do You Want to Buy a MechPack' crowd suddenly changing their tune to 'I'll suck **** for a Pre-Order Page,' I wouldn't say it's I'm that upset. And the whole Raven thing is really just a curiosity.

No matter how much hype is pumping through me right now, if pre-order options popped up for Mercs, I'd be screaming at people to not touch it. There's being excited and hopeful, and then there's going into this van, alone, as an 8-year-old girl.

Posted Image

#29 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 04 December 2016 - 12:27 AM, said:

No matter how much hype is pumping through me right now, if pre-order options popped up for Mercs, I'd be screaming at people to not touch it. There's being excited and hopeful, and then there's going into this van, alone, as an 8-year-old girl.

And yet, people will.

It's one of the things that always annoys me, perhaps because I used to do it all the time, and because my resistance to such practices has locked me out of most of the newer Warhammer titles (Well, pre-order add-ons in that case).

Just... seriously guys. It's a digital game. There will be no shortages. You can wait until release for someone to review it and tell you if its crap or not, you don't have to buy it 2 years early because 'I <3 MW.' And if they do include some sort of meaningful value to the pre-order, well... do you really want to encourage that? Stop, please.

Edited by Bombast, 04 December 2016 - 12:35 AM.

#30 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:38 AM

View PostBombast, on 04 December 2016 - 12:34 AM, said:

And yet, people will.

It's one of the things that always annoys me, perhaps because I used to do it all the time, and because my resistance to such practices has locked me out of most of the newer Warhammer titles (Well, pre-order add-ons in that case).

Just... seriously guys. It's a digital game. There will be no shortages. You can wait until release for someone to review it and tell you if its crap or not, you don't have to buy it 2 years early because 'I &lt;3 MW.' And if they do include some sort of meaningful value to the pre-order, well... do you really want to encourage that? Stop, please.

Meanwhile, with all of this and me agreeing with it, I'm still going to try and remember to pre-order Battletech, because I'm a sucker for everything it looks like it'll be, and I love the people working on it. I'm a bad consumer.

#31 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:46 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 04 December 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

Meanwhile, with all of this and me agreeing with it, I'm still going to try and remember to pre-order Battletech, because I'm a sucker for everything it looks like it'll be, and I love the people working on it. I'm a bad consumer.

That you are.

I mean, I backed it. But I did it for the loot. And I'm still trying to figure out my position on Kickstarting, in the new age where not-so-indie developers have access to it (Something which breaks my heart, as I put a freeze on Kickstarting, and this game died during that freeze).

#32 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:57 AM

View PostBombast, on 04 December 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

That you are.

I mean, I backed it. But I did it for the loot. And I'm still trying to figure out my position on Kickstarting, in the new age where not-so-indie developers have access to it (Something which breaks my heart, as I put a freeze on Kickstarting, and this game died during that freeze).

If only every dev had the love and care put into their work as Indy devs like the creator of Stardew Valley. Then we could feel safe with stuff like Kickstarter and pre-orders without feeling any guilt. Oh, and I'm one of the early Star Citizen backers, aka a major sucker, so I have learned the hard way that Kickstarter-style systems are a bad plan in most situations. But, you live and learn. Let's just hope that Battletech doesn't turn out to be a similar lesson.

#33 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:12 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 04 December 2016 - 12:57 AM, said:

If only every dev had the love and care put into their work as Indy devs like the creator of Stardew Valley.

I bought that game just to support the developer's dedication, though I did end up getting my moneys worth out of it (Though I had to quit, as a strive towards total efficiency can kill that game).

Oh, and I'm one of the early Star Citizen backers, aka a major sucker, so I have learned the hard way that Kickstarter-style systems are a bad plan in most situations. But, you live and learn. Let's just hope that Battletech doesn't turn out to be a similar lesson.

Believe me, I know that feel. Wasn't super early, but early enough to get blind sided by the perpetual kickstarter.

Posted Image

#34 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:19 AM

View PostBombast, on 04 December 2016 - 01:12 AM, said:

I bought that game just to support the developer's dedication, though I did end up getting my moneys worth out of it (Though I had to quit, as a strive towards total efficiency can kill that game).

Believe me, I know that feel. Wasn't super early, but early enough to get blind sided by the perpetual kickstarter.

Posted Image

Still got my Bounty Hunter card in my wallet, as a lesson to myself. Mostly because I own a cheap-*** wallet and it stabs my *** if I don't sit down right.

Personally, Harvest Moon is the largest nostalgia source there is for me in regards to videogames, so Stardew Valley is one of the best things I've ever bought. Have to make sure I take breaks from it though, because I'd become obsessed with it and calculate a 12 year plan for it, with a full spreadsheet like I did as a kid playing the old HM games. When you enjoy using large amounts of math to play a game, there's a problem.

#35 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:20 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 04 December 2016 - 01:19 AM, said:

When you enjoy using large amounts of math to play a game, there's a problem.

Or an EVE Online enthusiast.

But some would say that's a problem in and of itself.

#36 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:21 AM

In MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries you will adopt the role of a rookie MechWarrior pilot thrust into combat as the Third Succession War continues to fracture the Inner Sphere. Take contracts from the factions of your choosing and engage in tactical, first-person, PvE ‘Mech combat through an immersive, career-based Mercenary campaign driven by player choice. Victory, prestige, and profit will not only require skill on the battlefield, but in the acquisition, maintenance, and enhancement of your BattleMechs.

That's a lot of words.

#37 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:25 AM

View PostBombast, on 04 December 2016 - 01:20 AM, said:

Or an EVE Online enthusiast.

But some would say that's a problem in and of itself.

You didn't realize it, but... I was one! Didn't last for long though. Highly enjoyed the game, but hated the people that I met while playing it and dropped it.

Huh. I really do have a history of making bad decisions with videogames.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users